Corsair Community

VX550 with X1950PRO - AGP Version

Tornik

I recently picked up an Sapphire X1950Pro AGP card to prop u my aging gaming PC, only to find that my PSU isn't up to the job of powering it, so I've ordered a VX500 PSU from Dabs, as it certainly seems up to the job (please correct me if I'm wrong :[pouts:), which should hopefully be arriving in a day or two.

I've really only got one question - and hopefully a stupid one at that - the graphics card has got two Molex power ports on it, obviously both of them will have to be connected - should each port have a separate cable going in, or is it enough simply to use a splitter and power them both from the same source cable?

In my spare computer I run a Sapphire X1950 Pro AGP off a Chieftec 550W which is inferior to the VX550. I have two molexes connected from the same cable. (I did resent a bit Sapphire not putting a PCIe-connector on the card instead though, what was up with that? :sigh!: )

Anyway, It's plenty to run that card, mine has been fine for over half a year.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I was wondering myself why Sapphire didn't just fire on a PCI-E power connector - I'm not an electrician, but I don't imagine there would be any reason a PCI-E power connector can't supply the correct power for an AGP card.

The reason I came up with was that Sapphire are just taking the lowest-common-denominator approach, and trying to avoid confusion by putting a PCI-E connector on an AGP card.

Maybe. It's just that other manufacturers have put PCIe on their cards. My beef with the molexes is:

1... I lose two molexes, which I may want to use for something later

2... Not being able to use the PCIe cable may cause a load imbalance on multi rail PSUs, though I haven't had any problems with that.

That aside, the card works. I do know some people have had problems with overheating voltage regulators on the Sapphire cards, though that may have been an issue on earlier revisions.

The PSU arrived today - I installed it an hour or two ago, and I've been running the Bioshock demo, but it seems to be a bit glitchy. The game runs ok, but there are odd graphics glitches - not artifacting like I had before I picked up the new PSU, but strange ares on the screen flashing weird colours, etc.

It could be a driver bug I suppose, so I'm going to go into Safe Mode, remove the previous drivers and the Catalyst Control Center, then reinstall it.

Archived