Corsair Community

Asus P5k Se + Xms2 Cm2x1024-6400

Bushido

Hi there, First of all.... I've looked @ pretty much everywhere using the search but unfortunately none of the suggested remedies could cure my problem.. so I've decided to open up a thread and if I have missed any similar threads.. really sorry about that..

Ok.. here's my issue.. I'm using a C2D E6550 @ 3.29 on my ASUS P5K SE Mobo and I've been using some Value RAM for this.. couple of days back I bought the above mentioned pair.. (I checked for the compatibility using Corsair's site as well before buying)

When I plugged it into either DIMM A set or DIMM B set of slots (usually the yellow & black in these mobos) it boots up but after showing the Windows logo screen (running on Windows XP SP2) it keeps on booting.. There's nothing wrong with any of my slots because my "Value RAM" works fine in all them..

I've adjusted the timing as suggested in the RAM label as 5-5-5-12-T1 & even tried with 5-5-5-14-T2 & 4-4-4-12-T2 as I've seen here... and the vMem to 2.10 but nothing seems to work!! In any case as far as I can go is the booting Windows logo..

My earlier BIOS version was 0205 and I've updated it with BETA version 0604, yet in both cases it didn't work either!!

The exact info of the RAM I'm using is CM2X1024-6400 (ver 5.2) if its any help to you..

Please help me out..:[pouts: thanx in advance for your suggestions!!:):

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, Cas 5-5-5-12 at 2T CR and set TRC to 28 or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, Cas 5-5-5-12 at 2T CR and set TRC to 28 or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Hi Mr. RAM GUY.. thnx for your suggestions, I've tried as you mentioned... memtest did not indicate that there's a problem with the memory, It just doesn't seem to work after all those adjustments I made in the BIOS as well.. I'm quite frustrated right now and will contact my dealer on this! I referred to the ASUS P5K SE manual and its mentioned there that this MB only supports single channel config for CORSAIR CM2X1024-6400, I do not know whether this is the problem... yet in CORSAIR site when I checked for compatibility it showed me that this board has no issues with that type of memory!!

Will update this thread when I figure out what had happened!!

I dont understand, if you are not getting errors in memtest, what exactly is going on?

Join the club!!!

Anyway.. I referred to the ASUS P5K SE user manual, among the list of Memory being supported by the board is this model of RAM, but it says here that it is only supported as Single Channel..

Here's a part of the screenshot of the Manual....

ASUS_p5kse.jpg.e20b857f619500c95eaf8262e65d0cb0.jpg

in the picture...

A* means Single Channel

B* means Dual Channel

C* means 2 x Dual Channel

So I think that's the problem!!! If only I could find someone who uses the same board with the same memory type, I'd know for sure!! :[pouts:

• Corsair Employee

No that is just nuts, and I am sorry but you are not giving enough information to help you. But bottom line if you are not getting errors in memtest but you have some problem in Windows (Which I still do not know what that is). That would suggest some other issue.

And the QVL List from ASUS is about worthless in my opinion because we do not know if they set the proper settings when they tested the modules.

Not to mention if you are swapping modules around and not resetting the BIOS when you make the change and setting the tested settings manually they will probably fail on any MB.

Archived