Corsair Community

Upgrading Rig, advice needed

ThePrutser

* Unusable thermal paste

* The finish of the cooler's base is not particularly well finished

First off, yes, that's some fine looking system. Secondly, the Tuniq Tower thermal paste is NOT to be used!! Use Arctic Silver 5+ and lap the base with 400 --> 800 grit in two stages.

Have you had experience using the Arctic Freezer 7?

The Arctic Freezer 7 is not a bad cooler. You do not want to go high up on the overclock but it will do fine up to ~3.2Ghz. Keep in mind that this is dependent on the CPU as some run hotter than others. You might make 3.4 with a load of 60C or you might make 3.0C with a load of 60C.

I just put a friends system together with an E4400 with 320 X 10 = 3.2Ghz and it runs ~60C Load.

The temperature drop delta is ~20% faster. The overall differential in load temps on the same CPU is ~5C (E6600 with 8 X 4 = 3.2Ghz) with the increase growing as the overclock raises.

Hhmm.

Thanks for the info :D

I won't be back for a week, so don't expect me to reply to anything else for a while.

cya'

Parker

Sure thing. Keep in mind that the thermal pad that is already on the Arctic Freezer 7 IS very good and should be used. I would not remove it to apply Arctic Silver.

I personally will await Nehalem for true quad core computing. Core 1 & 2 can not share data with Core 3 & 4 and must flush their entire cache to access the data they need even if it is located in Core 1 & 2's cache. The canned benchmarks will not show these stalls in their tests but you WILL find it with a digital stopwatch. So, it is a personal choice. I did not purchase Pentium4 D either as it was not a true native dual core. You will be very likely not able to make higher than 3.2 - 3.4Ghz with Q6600 and although many are purchasing these CPU's and are running them higher, they seem to drop them down to a more manageable thermal displacement fairly quickly or move to more extreme methods of cooling.

The choice is up to you though. I await Nehalem and a tighter distribution of DDR3 timings before my quad core move. Keep in mind that the Capitalist juggernaut wishes you to purchase this quad core and help pay for the R & D for Nehalem.

I refuse to do that.

But compared to my current system... both of the chips are a mayor upgrade.

And I have to admit I have changed my order to the q6600, because it was cheaper and because of the reviews I read about the q6600 vs e6850.

I hope you can still help me when I am going to overclock this baby.

Thanx for sharing your opinion!

Regards.

I hope you can still help me when I am going to overclock this baby.

Thanx for sharing your opinion!

Regards.

Certainly I can help. Regarding the quad core, each to their own. Just don't be disgruntled if you do not make the kind of clocks that review is stating. Most are not, and most are dropping to ~3.2Ghz for 24/7 running. You very likely will make ~65C with 3.2Ghz on the QC.

Certainly I can help. Regarding the quad core, each to their own. Just don't be disgruntled if you do not make the kind of clocks that review is stating. Most are not, and most are dropping to ~3.2Ghz for 24/7 running. You very likely will make ~65C with 3.2Ghz on the QC.

Well... it will be my first OC anyway, so I will be happy with every result achieved :D:

Although, I might be longing for more when successful :p:

* Keeping fingers crossed to get a G0 QC (supplier is going to do its best!) *

OMG, I really have to stop researching!

Now I have second thoughts on the Tuniq... some sources on the internet say that the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme outperforms the Tuniq Tower. What shall I do? (Apart from shutting up and stop bugging you).

Ref: http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2943&p=1

I had issues with the mounting adapter on this heatsink and had to resort to vice bending, so unless they have fixed this issue, I personally would not go with it. Other than that, it is a good cooler. I didn't find the 3C differential that Tom's Hardware and certainly didn't see the 6C differential that Anandtech found. They were both pretty much the same. They are both high end air cooling and as such, the differential is minimal. Six of one, a half dozen of the other. Keep in mind that these reviews seldom test in closed case. Also, they did not test for the temperature drop delta and the Tuniq is better at this since it uses a copper solution and copper releases the thermal distribution more quickly.

So what you're actually saying is that the reviews are useless ;):

I have to say you are a pretty damn good resource, are there things you don't know? :p:

Regarding the ordered hardware.

- If I am REALLY lucky, I will receive it on friday

- If I am just lucky, I will receive it saturday

- but I think it will be delivered on monday...

So probably no IM this week.

Thanks again, you're knowledge and input is really appreciated!

Actually you will find good reviews from the overclocking and hardware forums.

http://www.overclock.net

http://www.xtremesystems.com

http://www.ocforums.com

These forums are a great research base and far better than Sharkeys, Anandtech, Tomshardware, etc...

Also, other than the mounting issue, I believe this is a good cooler. I just want it to work correctly out of the box. I also want the heatsink base to be copper and not aluminum so that the temperature drops quickly.

There are more things I do not know than know and of that you can be certain :p

You're welcome...

• Corsair Employee
I don't think Derek is saying reviews are useless just that they are a reference and should be taken with a grain of salt. You have to remember reviews are usually quite experianced with evaluating computer hardware and would have more knowledge if there is a problem on how to resolve it especially with over clocking and basic chipset limitations that most users may not know. Hardware manufacturers are quick to point out the selling points of their products and sometimes quite timid with said hardware limitations. The best you can do as a consumer is research the products you plan to buy and search for other users who may have the product in question for more reference.

I don't think Derek is saying reviews are useless just that they are a reference and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. I don't think it is a good thing for someone to demand or place expectations on their hardware to meet or exceed reviewers findings.

The best you can do as a consumer is research the products you plan to buy and search for other users who may have the product in question for more reference.

This is, in the final analysis, the best information in this thread.

Sorry guys, I apologize for my comment on the fact that reviews are useless. I placed a wink at the end, because I was only kidding. Did not mean to create havoc.

On the other hand I got some nice new review resources, which I could have just asked of course.

Bottom line, I was only joking, did not mean any harm or to offend anybody. I am sorry for the mistake.

The best you can do as a consumer is research the products you plan to buy and search for other users who may have the product in question for more reference.

This is actually what I am trying to do, but I come across a lot of reviews all with a different point of view. This makes it hard for me to make a decision. It is a lot of money (for me) I am going to spend, and I really want to spend it well.

• Corsair Employee
Quote:

This is actually what I am trying to do, but I come across a lot of reviews all with a different point of view. This makes it hard for me to make a decision. It is a lot of money (for me) I am going to spend, and I really want to spend it well.

I think we all see that was your intent and no harm done and no offense taken just have to be polite and to the point in a public forum. Just in case someone else reads the post and not the whole thread.

And I agree there are indeed a verity of opinions with regards to hardware.

And the best point of view for me is to consider that we all have opinions just like we all have a behind just some are more aromatic than others. He he he he! Hope you understand my sense of humor!

Just take them with a grain of salt but in general if I see several reviews on a product and they all had some problems with the specif product that might suggest the product in question may be temperamental and you may want to give it some time for that p[roduct to mature. And then the reverse is true if the reviews in general are all positive.

Well, my upgrade is still on hold, because several Corsair parts are not available :(:

Today the PSU should be delivered to the reseller, but the TWIN2X2048-8500C5D 2x1024MB 1066MHZ is in backorder. The reseller told me it could take weeks or even months before the memory will arrive :eek:

So what I would like to know is, is this true? Is Corsair having some kind of delivery/production problems which causes this delay? And if so, what would be a good, non-Corsair, alternative for this specific memory?

• Corsair Employee
XM2S-8500C5D is a high volume part and it is hard to make but no there is no problem other than we cannot keep up with demand. And now that Micron has stopped or moved most DDR2 the number of IC's to build this part is less and less. However, we are starting to build it with Quimonda so I think the back log will start to come down.

Archived