Corsair Community

Defective XMS2 2 GByte DDR2 Twin2X Matched Memory Pair

Just built a new system and had 4 GBs of RAM(2 sets of the above). The system kept having issues with starting the Windows installation and would freeze while in BIOS setup or even before it got there. After removing 2 of the sticks the system worked fine, so I ran Memtest86 confirming which of the 2 sets was good and finding that one was in fact not good. I need to RMA this pair so I can add 2 more gigs to my system.

Should I RMA through Corsair or go through NewEgg?

That may be so, but how does that explain how 1 set passes the memtest, while the other does not. Seperately. It has nothing to do with the power supply. All four sticks are not being tested at the same time, i tested them as the set they came as, and 1 works fine (now being used for this sytem) while the other wouldnt pass the test.

Reguardless of whether my sytems power supply can support my hardware plus teh 4 sticks of RAM, when used seperately with one set at a time, one works and the other doesnt. One passes the memtest with out a problem, the other fails. Clearly I still need to RMA.

• Corsair Employee

Did you Disable legacy USB and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts? If so and testing the modules one at a time one still fails them lets get them replaced. But if you getting errors in http://www.memtest.org in test 5-8 with what you have posted I would encourage you to change the PSU or Video card first.

[Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.[/b]

Archived