I need help with the memory for D955XBK

Fercho

I contacted the Intel guys and they send this:

The Intel® Desktop Board D955XBK is designed to support the following RAM

specifications:

1.8 V and 1.9 V DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs

Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following

restriction:

Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.

8 GB maximum total system memory

Minimum total system memory: 128 MB

ECC DIMMs and non-ECC DIMMs

Serial Presence Detect

DDR2 667 and 533 MHz SDRAM DIMMs

I have the Ballistix DDR2 1GB(2x512) PC2-5300 • 3-3-3-12 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 2.2V • 128Meg x 64

I over clocked to 4-4-4-10 1.9V under their recommendation.

But I want to use the XMS2 2GB, to expand to 3GB and because now I know this is far better memory.

What memory should I use?

My system configuration is D955XBK, Pentium D 930, force 6800 GS CO.

And can you explain me what is X16 organization means?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I hate intel boards.....oh "did I say that out loud"?:laughing:

Your confusing memory specs. You refer to sdram and ddr2 in the same paragraph. You have a DDR2 board.

You really screwed up here in putting that ballistix memory with that board!!!!

Basically, if it were me I would try to sell the Ballistix on Ebay and cut my losses. Then If it were me I would get Corsair part #VS2GBKIT533D2 (2 gigs of ddr2-533 in 2 1 gig sticks)

You don't need 3 gigs I don't think. Even if you got a gain in speed from actually needing 3gigs (very, very doubtful) then you are probably going to negate that effect by getting out of DDR with three sticks.

As for the double sided dimms with x16 organization: I would have to research to see if you could even get that arrangement anymore in a ddr2 stick. I don't think you need to worry about it.

Thank you for answering my question. But please I would like to know why cant I use the XMS2-5400 for example. Why only the VS2GBKIT667D2 with 5-5-5-15 that is very slow!!?? Why not the CM2X10245400C4 for example. I don’t understand why.... This link said that I can use a fast memory http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/configurator_search.html

Can you please explain me why???.

My motherboard support: 1.8 v, 1.9 v, 2.0V and 2.09V.

What I mean is if you know why they don’t recommend other type of memory. In their web page, using their tools, they recommend one thing and in other link recommend another.

I talked to them but I think they are confused.

Thanks.

Archived