Corsair Community

MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R and Twinx1024-3200LLpt

jeff9760

I just got my ram back from being RMA, and followed all your settings and put them in slots 1 and 3. So far so good through a couple of days of testing. So far only 1 crash, and it seemed to be video related during a video game. So, here goes hope that is it, esp since I have a new Geforce FX5900XT video card on the way :) Thanks for the help!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just sold my old computer ( Athlon XP2800 ) very well and with just a little bit of money I can upgrade to the Athlon 64 but I am scared after reading all these posts here. I would really love to use my CMX 512 3200 LL ( XMS 3205v 1.1 ) twinx 2 x 512 mb memmory on a MSI K8T NEO FS2R board with an 3000+ 64 but did this new bios fix the compatibility issues ? Isn't it the AMD proc that is the problem here ? I have been browsing the AMD site and they link to some memmory testing institute [url]http://www.cmtlabs.com[/url] and they didn't even test the Corsair modules !! How can it be that I spend rather a lot of money buying ( what I believed to be the best memmory available ) this memmory and it not being be supported by the latest ahtlon 64 family ? I really hope that this is solved cause I am VERY happy with this memmory and I would hate to have to buy other memmory. Is there anybody here using this memmory and getting stable performance ? I live in Holland and my modules are about a year old , can I return them ( lifetime garantue ) for others if this doesn't work ? Thanks in advance for your time and answers.

• Corsair Employee
First off, the CPU you have will require you use bios 1.24B or newer as that updated the bios to add support for this CPU. I believe that there may be a newer version available from MSI, so I would suggest that you check their site first. Second, we do not submit our modules to CMTL unless one of our OEM's requires it. Our validation is as good as if not better than CMTL, and that would just add extra cost to the modules that we feel is not really needed. XMS3200LL should not be any problem with this MB at all, just get the latest bios and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3", & set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts. In addition, if you have more than one module use slots 1-3.

Thanks a lot !! I will order the board and let everybody in here know how things went. I am keeping my thumbs crossed that I don't go bankrupt on this deal. RMA ing in Holland is a tricky business you almost never get a decent service here. Most suppliers will just send the board to the manufacturer and you have to wait until it is back :[pouts: Thanks again for your time.

just a note for your benefit. the corsair will work really well as RAM guy says, as long as you follow what he says and get the new bios. the 1.20 from the MSI site is newer than the 1.2b4 posted here. (that's a beta, and MSI always number their official versions 1.x0). if you read my ealrier posts i was crying cos Prime95 was unstable. well, that's because i found a bug!!! i have no pagefile set in Windows - in music production memory latency is very important as you need to sync audio and midi and all kinds of stuff, so running from RAM only helps loads. only thing is, Prime95 dies a death when you have no pagefile (i only discovered this by accident). i thought i had a completely unstable system, but now it is ROCK solid and gets like 3,054GB bandwidth on SiSoft. I must add that after my RMA i am actually using OCZ PC3500, but the Corsair 3200LLPT stuff is probably better :roll: whatever you do have fun with it, and i wish you luck. be patient and it'll work out, trust me!!

i have the same issues but I have the Athlon 3400+ 64 bit cpu. when i bought the board i bought a stick of kingsmax RAM (it was recommended at MSI's site). That stick, 512 megs, works fine. But my TwinX PC3200LL (CMX256A v 1.1 256X2) would not even post when placed in slots 1 and 2 (where MSI suggests). Each Corsaire slot works fine by itself, but when paired up they don't. I know the advice here is to try slots 1 and 2, but i am sick of resetting the CMOS. I have the latest OFFICIAL version BIOS from MSI installed. After installing that, my RAM failed again. Officially this RAM has failed on a Asus A7NX8 Deluxe (at 200 FSB) and MSI K8T NEO. Is it time for Corsaire to let me RMA these sticks??

resetting CMOS is all part of the fun! :p: I would advise running Memtest86+ on each stick to check for faults. Have you tried the MSI forums? They're superb. There's loads of good advice in there. I've read that people have got the v1.1 to work fine. I believe you'll have no problems. Use slots 1+3, set your voltage manually to 2.7/2.8, use 2-3-2-5 for your timings and good luck :biggrin:

Sorry for doubting my corsair in here. I just purchased the MSI and inserted my twinx 3200 LL XMS 3205 v1.1 in slot 1 & 2 ( I know I should have tried 1 & 3 but they say that 1 & 2 is the best performer ) and my system just installed XP and I ran 3 Aquamark test and I was very pleased to get over 44,000 [url]http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_userhome.php?action=updatePublish&measurement=223906&publish=1&firstMeasurement=0[/url] with a non overclocked system. I can't see the cas & ras settings cause my bios is set to auto and it only posts the cas latency wich is 2 !! This really rocks. I realise that such a fresh install can't be called stable yet but so far I am very pleased. Maybe those people in the forums have problems cause they use memmory that they purchased later and on wich isn't ( correct me if I am wrong ) that great winbond chipset. I will post all the specifics here after I ran some memtests. Can I see in those tests what my other mem values are ? I hope so and will let you all know. Thanks again ramguy you pursuaded me to just try and to what a result !! I am cheering like a little kid here !! :laughing:

• 2 weeks later...
*bump* So, has anyone gotten an MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R to run with their XMS 3200LL at 2-3-2-6 [B]AND[/B] pass Memtest? I've done my searching and it looks like people can run at these timings and are happy with windows stability, as well can I, but Memtest86+ barfs errors on Test#5. I've followed all the suggestions I found: [list] [*]Timings: 2-3-2-6 [*]Vdimm: 2.7V [*]Populate slots 1&3 [*]Bios 1.20 [/list] Rig: AMD Athlon 3400+; MSI K8T Neo FIS2R; Corsair TWINX1024-3200LL Memtest is happy if I tweak the tRP up to 3 (yielding 2-3-3-6). I've benched at these settings and it actually costs me a couple dozen 3Dmarks. Not that in the grand scheme that's such a big deal, but I'm guaranteed 2-3-2-6 right? ... or should I chalk up the added latency to a mobo limitation? --Art

• Corsair Employee
knownalien, Please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace them! ardavis Do you have another system you can test the modules in? And what PSU are you using? Also I would check that you have the latest bios and try and load setup defaults again and double check the settings are set according to the part# of modules you have against what's listed. I have this exact same setup and have had no problem at all even at 220Mhz!

[quote name='RAM GUY']Do you have another system you can test the modules in? And what PSU are you using? Also I would check that you have the latest bios and try and load setup defaults again and double check the settings are set according to the part# of modules you have against what's listed. I have this exact same setup and have had no problem at all even at 220Mhz![/QUOTE] Thanks Ram Guy. I've got an Asus A7N8X I'll test in tonight and post back my results. Regarding the latest bios, earlier in this thread si lumb mentioned: [quote name='si lumb']the 1.20 from the MSI site is newer than the 1.2b4 posted here. [/QUOTE] I have the 1.20 bios so no need for me to try the 1.2b4? Finally, regarding the PSU. It's the standard supply that comes pre-installed in the Aspire X-Alien (420 Watt Turbolink). I assume that's enough power, but do you think voltage quality could be an issue? --Art

Not so happy here anymore. The first euforia has warn of and now I found that I have one damaged dimm. One of the dimms is making my system very unstable. Tested it in several systems but it is a goner .. BOOHOO !! I hope I can get the warranty arranged with the dealer. Always tough here in Holland. It worked so great SIGH !!

[quote name='RAM GUY']That PSU should be sufficient, but let us see how the modules test with your other MB![/QUOTE] Well, it would seem the memory modules worked fine in my Asus A7N8X Deluxe. Rig: AMD Athlon XP 2500+; Asus A7N8X Deluxe PCBv.2.0; Bios v.C1007; Corsair TWINX1024-3200LL I configured everything to spec: Timings: 2-3-2-6; Vdimm: 2.7V; Populate slots 1&3 There was a little weirdness with the mobo at first. Even though I set the CPU fequency to 100MHz and the memory timing to 200% (=>200MHz), memtest reported the memory running at 198MHz?! So I overclocked just a bit setting the CPU freq. to 102MHz (yielding a memory frequency of 204MHz -- DDR408) and ran my tests at this setting. Memtest86+ test#5 ran without problems. And the whole memtest "default" testing gamut ran 3 passes without any errors (~2hrs worth). I'm glad my Corsair memory works to spec. But this is one of those mobo issues where the manufacture is quick to point out that "the mem controller for the A64 is on the CPU... so it's not a mobo issue". I guess I just have to accept I'm going to be running 2-3-3-6 timings in my MSI K8T Neo FIS2R? *edit* Useful link at MSI regarding this issue: [URL=http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=43660&sid=33ac98c3507073580292bd40e5e7ce51]Comptabile Memory for the Kt8 neo in the futre?[/URL]. [quote name='Bas'] *snip*The problem is that AMD64's have very low latency in accessing the memory, most sticks from stick-solderers can't handle it....no matter what timings they say the stick has.... If the stick has a PCB that disorts the signal on low latency, you are in trouble...it's as simple as that..... They probably work in a P4 or AMD32 just fine as the memory controller for those is a separate chip...so they are more relaxed....*snip* [/QUOTE] This jives well with the test I ran last night... the memory works fine at its specified timings in the AMD32, but can't quite get there for the AMD64.

• Corsair Employee
Well this MB is new and this may be addressed with newer bios, but I have this MB and these modules running with out problems at the timings Cass 2-3-2-6. So its very likely just some issue that we have not identified as of yet. In addition, I have no problem replacing the modules if you like, but it does sound like it may be your MB or CPU may be holding you back. If it were me, I would try and get the latest bios and then reset the bios by jumper and set the timings manually to the tested settings and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and stagger the modules in slots 1-3. In addition, you might try them one at a time in the MSI MB and let us see, if it might be just one module that is marginal.

RAM GUY, I followed your advice regarding resetting the bios etc. I still got errors when both sticks were installed (slots 1&3). Next I tested each stick individually. Indeed, one passed it's memtest with flying colors, and the other had errors (2-3-2-6 timings at 2.7V). Now if I want to do an RMA (and I'm not even sure that I do), presumably I have to return the [U]pair[/U] (and not just the marginal stick)? In addition, I'd feel more comfortable doing an RMA if I knew I could handle it through Corsair with some assurances that I'd be getting back improved quality memory. Is this plausible?

Thanks Danrok for the spread tip. I have no idea what this does but I just disabled it. I was still having some stability issues with a module of memmory that did pass 3 complete runs of memtest so there shouldn't be a problem there I guess. Thanks a million again Ramguy for offering the possibility to return my not working module if my supplier won't. I send them a mail last week but till now I had no respons. I will wait out another week and call them if I don't get a reaction from them. I suppose that with Twinx memmory I have to return both sticks but my question is the following. I have the 3200 LL XMS Twinx xms 3205 v1.1 modules. I asume that you can't repair these modules. Would I be getting the same back then ? I hope so cause they are really great and have better timings then there younger brothers. I will keep you up to speed.

• Corsair Employee
Johhny Be Good, I am sorry, but we can no longer get the IC we used to make that revision, best I would be able to do would be if you want to send them directly to my attention I will get your module repaired. If so please email me with your contact info and I will do my best!

[quote name='RAM GUY']Thank you for posting that! I think that may help others who have the same MB. How are you making out by the way?[/QUOTE] yeah everything is running great!!! cant wait for a 64 bit system tester like 3d mark

• 2 weeks later...
greetings:cool: my system: amd64 3200+, msi k8t neo fisr (bios 1.20), corsair twinx1024 3200C2 @ 2,5-3-3-6 in slot 1+2. before i used cas 2t settings and had blue screens every other time, this problem is gone since its set to 2,5t. but since then the system peformance became less constant, it "stutters" in 3d games (Sapphire 9800Pro 256mb - tried catalyst 3.7 - 4.3 and the latest omega drivers). i am not sure if it's the ram, i build the system from scratch - very hard to say what is causing the problem. so to make sure it's not the ram, i should: 1. use slot 1+3 (not 1+2) 2. memclock value: 400mhz 3. cas latency: 2,5t (or can i use 2t?) 4. trcd: 3t 5. tras: 6t 6. trp: 3t 7. set dim voltage to 2.7 volts 8. disable spread spectrum 9. flash bios to version 1.33 correct? any other bios settings that could cause problems? please excuse my english and a thumb up for the customer support!

I am going to buy a AMD Athlon64 3200+ and a MSI K8T NEO-FIS2R K8T800 but i need help to chose the right memory for my system. I am going to use my computer for games an other stuff so i want some good ram. I am going to buy Corsair but i dont know what model to chose? Which is the best for that MB and CPU? I think i am going to buy 2x512 to start with or maby 3x512. Or what do you guys recomend?

Archived