Corsair Community

Asus P5B-E 6400PRO or 6400C4?

Darth Evader

Your settings and thermals are fine. Temps are not at issue, and as a hard lock is almost always indicative of hardware error and not thermal error I wonder at the motherboard considering you have changed all other hardware. Power Supply? Have you tested with a different PSU?

You gain no memory dumps or blue screens ever? If OCCT does not fail, then the issue is doubtful to be CPU. Fails on XP and on VISTA.

Unfortunately it never blue screens, creates crash dump files, or even errors in Event Viewer. It just goes to a hard freeze. You are correct in that it has done this in both Vista and XP...but more frequently in Vista.

I haven't tried a different PSU, but I was just assuming that this $160 Thermaltake 750W beast would cut the mustard. I am leaning toward motherboard swap first, but if it fails then I'll do a PSU swap too.

Hello Derek T and Ram Guy. Well, it has been over a week an my PC has been on 24-7 since I last posted. As of right now, I have not experienced a single freeze or other system glitch. I've been pushing the system pretty heavy with video encoding, file copying, and web surfing.

I still haven't ruled out the possibility that this past week is just a fluke, but I can say that the only thing different is the fact that I changed from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15. There isn't a tangible performance difference between the two as far as I can tell.

My plan is to just let it keep running and if it makes it another week or two then I'll be pretty sure that this is the cause of the issue. Maybe, for some reason, my motherboard just couldn't handle the faster timings.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to make a final post to close this thread. My PC has been on non-stop since April and has not froze once...where as it was freezing multiple times a day before. As I mentioned, the ONLY thing different is the fact that I changed from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15 timings.

So, the problem is certainly resolved!

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I'm game for trying to replace them. Is there a way to do an Advanced replacement (Corsair sends new RAM to me, then I send old RAM back once new RAM arrives)? How do I go about initiating the process?

Thanks so much.

Call Corsair Customer Service.

Archived