Corsair Community

R These Oddities a RAM Thing?

drsawbones

Me again....

Currently and still running same C2 chips, windows xp pro x64, on the ASUS A8N32SLi Deluxe.Almost a full year into building with nearly same components, I've gotten fairly stable, minus some oddities I cannot find answers for.

Working on a clean wipe/install of OS and brand new AMD 4800x2 CPU, this oddity remains....

Say I take a screen capture [prnt scrn key] of a game screen and then PASTE to photoshop, about 60 percent of the time, usually after the first 2 or 3 captures, the clipboard/capture reverts to the capture prior on PASTE. Sometimes I can paste, and I'll get the previous capture, then paste again, and get the new capture. Other times, I can never get the new capture witout going back and taking another capture...at which time, paste will produce that capture that never pasted from the prior attempt, and not the new re-capture.

I've also noticed this same capture fault/delay oddity when pasting text from vairous text applicatons....IM messenger to notepad or email to Word and other combinations.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Doc

Hey thanks for that insight Wired. Whilest yes I do have the 2003 Office suite installed, I've not any of it running on boot, in TSR or otherwise.

On most days on idle I have 23 running processes...so I'm extremely streamlined and fast.

If I'm, as you, to consider the situation as you Rx, that would mean that the Office clipboard would somehow modify or overwrite the MS OS clipboard. And which is what I first researched when this arose and now has become an ongoing nuesance.

I'll try again at MS site and see if they've anything new....is a nagging pain in which I must 100% ELIMINATE any possibility of this being a HARDWARE issue...dimms, mobo, mem controller or otherwise...because there's other system/app oddities and it's really hard to separate real issues from sorta real issues. If you know what I mean....urg

Another stumper is the app zBrush 2.0. I read tons of posts that it will not run on x64, and couple that say it does, but only with 2 sticks of RAM and under 2gb. I proved this to be true on my rig as I ran it with 2 sticks for about a month at 1T to see if these oddities go away. Illustrator pre CS2 is the same as zBrush. It will only run with 2 sticks of RAM installed [actually is different then zBrush because it WILL run with four sticks in the machine, but you have to disable the hardware memory hole first. zBrush will not run in any 4 stick configuration.]

I guess in the above senario it's only natural for one to test the dimms at that point, which I did, a 9 hr boot to memtest test on the 2 sticks - each pair. As soon as I put the 4 together....the oddities slowly begin to arise as I work.

So...I've read about the /3gb switch and other things to manage the 2/2 barrior...make it a 3/1 and such. Then, I sorta get angry/frustrated because I've got mulla invested into 4 sticks and rig and just cannot seem to get it to work the way it seems to when running with only 2 sticks. Who to blame? AMD? ASUS? Microsoft? Corsair? [and of course the app makers aside.]

I'm Vulcan, lol, so is really hard for me to just put it down to another "nope can't do that on win x64". I feel as though I have these little puzzle pieces and am slowly getting some of them to fit together, whilest other pieces are completely missing. :(

If you come back and reply, I would really enjoy having a bit more clarification on exactly how the bios setting for mapping the hardware memory hole to either continuous or discreate effects, if any, the dimms - timings or otherwise.

Another mem specific question I have for you all is, a couple of my first threads here, forum replies that if you have 4 sticks they need to run at 333mhz with amd dual core. I cannot find any documentation to support this at AMD. And this BIOS defaults with 4 sticks installed to 200Mhz (x2). Can you please confirm this, or maybe I'm just reading it all wrong.

Thanks,

Doc

edit: wanted to add that yes, when 4 sticks I set to 2T.

4 sticks @ 333 has nothing to do with the dual / single core, rather, just what specific core revision the cpu has. some revisions have memory controllers that can run 4 @ 400, some don't. 4 @ 200 would probably be due to running memory with different ICs, and the memory controller is compensating for that by slowing down.

• Corsair Employee
Another mem specific question I have for you all is, a couple of my first threads here, forum replies that if you have 4 sticks they need to run at 333mhz with amd dual core. I cannot find any documentation to support this at AMD. And this BIOS defaults with 4 sticks installed to 200Mhz (x2). Can you please confirm this, or maybe I'm just reading it all wrong.

When these first came out there was information suggesting DDR333 with more then 2 double sided modules were instilled with any AMD CPU that was not an FX Core. AMD has since clarified the information to us and FX and X2 CPU should be able to run at DDR400 at 2T Command Rate with 4 modules.

If you come back and reply, I would really enjoy having a bit more clarification on exactly how the bios setting for mapping the hardware memory hole to either continuous or discrete effects, if any, the dims - timings or otherwise.

I would have to direct you to the MB maker for clarification on their bios settings or you can try http://www.rojakpot.com in the Bios Optimization Guide its one of the best I have seen.

Another stumper is the app zBrush 2.0. I read tons of posts that it will not run on x64, and couple that say it does, but only with 2 sticks of RAM and under 2gb. I proved this to be true on my rig as I ran it with 2 sticks for about a month at 1T to see if these oddities go away. Illustrator pre CS2 is the same as zBrush. It will only run with 2 sticks of RAM installed [actually is different then zBrush because it WILL run with four sticks in the machine, but you have to disable the hardware memory hole first. zBrush will not run in any 4 stick configuration.]

I am sorry but we do not do any application specific testing I would have to direct you to the respective software vendors for details about their software and any limitations of said software. But from what I understand much of the software that’s on the market right now will not function properly with more than 2.0 Gig of memory. However, if the application was wrote for Win X64 there should not be any problems.

I'll try again at MS site and see if they've anything new....is a nagging pain in which I must 100% ELIMINATE any possibility of this being a HARDWARE issue...dimms, mobo, mem controller or otherwise...because there's other system/app oddities and it's really hard to separate real issues from sorta real issues. If you know what I mean....urg

I would agree with you 100% and I would suggest testing the modules one set at a time with http://www.memtest.org to make sure one is not failing and then with the system fully loaded and let me know the results!

Hey thanks for that insight Wired. Whilest yes I do have the 2003 Office suite installed, I've not any of it running on boot, in TSR or otherwise.

On most days on idle I have 23 running processes...so I'm extremely streamlined and fast.

If I'm, as you, to consider the situation as you Rx, that would mean that the Office clipboard would somehow modify or overwrite the MS OS clipboard. And which is what I first researched when this arose and now has become an ongoing nuesance.

I would agree that does sound like a software problem and not hardware, and I would have to direct you to Microsoft for more help. However, I would have to say that I had a problem that was very close to this and found it to be the latest version of Yahoo was causing the problem and once I uninstall the Yahoo Tool email and Tool bar all of the problems went away.

Thank you all for such great feeback. I cannot thank you enough because you have given me something to chew on here and there. The yahoo tip is great, thank you. And thanks for answering all my questions. And thanks for the updated info to the old info.

Thank you!

Doc

Archived