Corsair Community

Replacement 4G Flash Voyager Died!

stevefalco

I purchased this drive on 3/2/2006. After a few uses, it failed. I sent it back to Corsair, and they sent me a replacement drive (see forum message 242617). I received the replacement a few days ago.

I tried writing a large file to the replacement drive, and the first time it worked ok. The second time I tried writing another large file, I got the same error I got with the original drive (see attached screen dump). I tried reformatting the drive with the included software, but it still failed when I tried writing the file to the drive. I tried the drive in several different computers, reformatting each time (one computer running Windows XP, one running Windows 2000, and two running Linux) - the drive failed in all four computers.

Finally, I tried running the Linux badblock checker. It reported numerous errors - see the attached log file.

I have to say that I am very disappointed. I was willing to accept that the first drive was just a random failure. However, now that I have had two drives fail in exactly the same way after just a few uses, I am convinced that there is a fundamental design or manufacturing flaw in this product.

I sent two emails to Corsair explaining my predicament, but so far, both emails have been ignored!

I'd be very interested in other people's experiences, because at this point it looks like I have lost the $140 or so that I paid for this product.

Buyer Beware.

ScreenHunter_001.bmp

emsg.txt

• Corsair Employee
The problem you have described sounds like some other issue, can you tell us the make and model of the system or MB you are using and can you test the drive in another system and see if it will let you format the drive?

I hate to sound hostile, but did you read my initial posting? I said that I tried reformatting in four different machines, and kept getting failures.

But, for the record, one of the machines has a Tyan 2882D mobo with dual AMD Opteron processors. The other three machines are Dell PCs, with proprietary Dell motherboards: one is a GX110, and two are DHM's with Intel P4/Xeon processors.

• Corsair Employee
So now it will not format in any system? And have you tried to use the Corsair EZ-Recover Utility. It would be unlikely that you got two bad drives in a row, is my point. And if one of the system is corrupting the drive that may be the cause. But I would try the utility above and see if it will let you format it. If you still have problems, lets get it replaced. Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! You can call our customer service since you had this one replaced once be replying to the last email you got from them, or calling them at 888-222-4346.

I downloaded the EZrecovery tool, and used it to reformat the drive. The format process succeeded. I then tried to copy a file to the device, and it failed. I've attached a few screen dumps showing this. Just to be clear, when the drive was brand-new, I successfully wrote this same file to the drive, so there is nothing wrong with the file itself.

I agree that it is unlikely that I got two defective devices in a row, unless there is some sort of fundamental design defect or incompatibility in this product. That is why I would like to get my money back rather than have you send me replacement drives every few weeks for the next 10 years, or however long the warantee is. Neither of us would be very happy with that solution.

One final question: do you have any diagnostic tools for this device, such that you can examine the failed drive and determine the reason for the failure?

ScreenHunter_4.thumb.jpeg.637faec41cb2c5f0c6cf5abbc55f70cf.jpeg

ScreenHunter_5.thumb.jpeg.427ac8b74194d87ba56e995bad8dfa8f.jpeg

• Corsair Employee

Have you tried to format it with windows after you use the EZrecover utility?

You still should format the drive with windows after this utility. As far as your money back, I am sorry but you would need to talk to your reseller.

Like I said in my original posting - this thing is broken. And, since it is the second one that has died in exactly the same way, as far as I can tell, there is a design defect in this product.

So, what will Corsair do to honor the waranty? And, do you or do you not have a way to analyze the returned unit to figure out what is wrong?

Also - you suggest contacting the retailer to receive a refund. They only provide for a refund up to 30 days from the purchase date. However, I've been screwing around with this thing for about 6 weeks now, so at this point I have to look to Corsair to make good.

ScreenHunter_6.thumb.jpeg.e954382cf9084c9df0db56c76a10b911.jpeg

ScreenHunter_7.thumb.jpeg.3b281ce0ec5a5a3bd7f2abdf7fdaed6e.jpeg

ScreenHunter_8.thumb.jpeg.469167c623a77fa5a676367c642cf6a2.jpeg

• Corsair Employee
Please call our Tech Support at 1-800-205-7657 when you are in front of your system and we can try and help you solve the problem. Our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

There may be limitations based on the cluster size as well.

I am trying to confirm this now, but you can find some usefull information at this link.

As you can see, the NTFS cluster size stays at 4 KB. This is its maximum cluster size; its cluster size diminishes as the volume size decreases below 2 GB. In terms of cluster size, NTFS is far more efficient than FAT32.

Can you test with smaller size files to be sure its not this issue.

According to Wikipedia, the max file size in FAT32 is 4 gig. And, the first time I wrote the file, it worked perfectly. So, I doubt the file system is the limiting factor here.

The error message that you are receiving is documented here on Microsofts support page. You may find the answer you are looking for there. I am able to write a 3.8 gig .iso file to my 4 GB Flash Voyager multiple times with no problem so I know it is not a problem across the board.

• Corsair Employee

You would need to scroll down a bit to see whats related:

Delayed Write Failure

Data corruption may occur if the Large System Cache feature is enabled in Windows XP. This problem does not occur on all systems. The key ingredients that lead to data corruption may include: • System Memory greater than 512 Meg. (1 gigabyte of RAM is common)

• Large NTFS disk volumes and multiple large volumes. (60-100 gigabyte hard drives possibly in RAID arrays)

• AGP graphics with large AGP resource requirements (AGP aperture greater than default)

• Large file transfers. This problem occurs when the computer runs out of system page table entries. Windows determines (at boot time) the default number of page table entries to assign, based on the amount of system memory available.

The conditions listed above all contribute to increasing the number of page table entries that Windows XP must maintain and in extreme cases the page table entries may be exhausted. To avoid this problem ensure the System Cache option is NOT selected for Memory usage.

To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties to open the System Properties dialog box.

2. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance click Settings.

3. Under Performance Options, click the Advanced tab.

4. Under Memory Usage, click to select Programs, if it is not already selected.

5. Click OK.

WORKAROUND

Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

256986 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/) Description of the Microsoft Windows registry

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.You may be able to work around this problem by increasing the value for page table entries. To increase the value for page table entries, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, in the Open: box type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

3. In the right pane, right-click the value SystemPages, and then click Modify.

4. In the Value data box, type the following value: 0xFFFFFFFF and then click OK.

5. Exit Registry Editor.

Note0xFFFFFFFF is the safest value however a value greater than the default but less than the maximum may provide better results.

Note Changing the SystemPages value from the default may decrease performance by 1-2%.

• 2 weeks later...

first sorry on my english

I have the same problem like lots ppl here

i bought 2 gb cosair flash and he die in 3 months of using it :[pouts:

and my friends hawe the same problems with this flash disks

I just give flash to reseler to replace it,

and i waited 2 months to get replaced :!: :mad: :mad:

I always trust Corsair and i like their products :!:

that's why i bought flash disk

but i am lil disappointed about flash disks from corsair :!:

so i am asking did corsair make bad product -> "corsair flash voyager":question:

and why corsair didnt make new ones to replace those :question: (to better ones)

Thanks and again sorry on my english

Tolja

• Corsair Employee
I don’t know what to tell you, I have had several of our drives and not had a problem; Flash drives in general seem to be somewhat problematic. But I don’t see any failures with our drives that I don’t see with other makes products. And our return rate for these drives is less that 1/2 of one percent. So I don’t see any data to support your claims, if you are having a problem with your drive I would suggest we look at the problem and try to find the right answer rather than just saying OK it does not work and its all our fault.

Today i got my new flash 2 gb

i finaly got replacemant

I am from Montenegro its near Italy

and its lil problem to get replaced directly from corsair

but i hope this flash will be ok

i will let u know

Tolja

Archived