Twin 2048-3200C2 and Asus A8N-SLI Premium Issues

ktroncroz

Hello,

I have built the following system over the last week:

AMD 4200+ x2

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium

EVGA 7800GT

Corsair Twin 2048-3200C2

For a week or so, the system worked flawlessly. A couple of nights go the system rebooted and wouldn't POST. I fiddled with it some and it came back up.

Wanting to get to the bottom of the problem downloaded memtest and tweaked some BIOS fields and again the board wouldn't POST. I reset the CMOS/BIOS still no post. I finally pulled 1 module out and the system came up. I set the DRAM settings to 2-3-3-6 2T Command mode and 2.75V and ran memtest over night. The module passes. I tried the other module with the same settings and it passes too.

I put both modules back in the system and it won't POST - it says "System failed memory test"

I am not convinced its memory problem - but the system seems fine with 1 module in it so I don't where else to look.

Any thoughts - should I send the memory back?

Thanks,

Kevin

I have moved the sticks through each slot..

One stick works fine, but when I put 2 sticks in, everything gets crazy.

I have just upgraded to the latest BIOS (1011.005 Beta)... Lets try that.

Update -

The BIOS fix didn't help - In fact I now have 1 stick that won't post when I put it in any slot. I have to think its memory. 1 stick works in all the slots. 1 stick doesn't work in any slot...

Thanks,

Kevin

I went to Frys and bought some 1GB sticks of OCZ value and put them in.

System fired right up and ran memory test - turned out 1 stick was bad.

So I returned them and bought 2 sticks of Patriot EASED Latency (3-3-3-8) and the system fired right up.

I look forward to my RMA so I can get this taken care of.

THanks,

Kevin

Picked up the memory and got it installed.

The machine booted right up. I ran Memtest for a couple of passes with 2-3-3-6 and settled in for some gaming. Everything ran great.

I going to run memtest overnight just to be sure.

I am running the memory in 1T command mode instead of 2T. It seems stable, if it stays stable, any reason I shouldn't stay in 1T mode?

Thanks,

Kevin

Archived