Corsair Community

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe with CORSAIR TWINX2048-4000PT

dome_rbc

Because of different chip or different variations/batches of chip (UCCC?) being used - I assume. 0604020-1 I think it says on my rev. 1.1 sticks which prefer 2.6v.

Must be careful with these claims of up to 290fsb but it seems some can overclock a lot - well I cant, enough but not extreme. So providing those high numbers are as stable as a 250 number I could ask what makes that possible to some? May be same answer.

Ive had 2x512 Ballistix and 2x512 HyperX installed, other hardware exactly the same. Both set could not use 1T with any kind of stability. Could not even boot to XP at 200fsb. No problem with 4000PT and 2x1gb. Not even tried 2T yet. Strange but guess a question of motherboard bios being optimized for this or that - or just luck (I have MSI bios so lets say luck..) That and different cpus might be why there are differences in overclocking results - even with finetuning of ram-settings.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
Please call our Tech Support at 1-800-205-7657 when you are in front of your system and we can try and help you solve the problem. Our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

That is not necesary yet. I will try luck third time, i will RMA them at my supplier, Levi International, Czech Republic. The first one have been OK, except they have been unable to run at 1T (tested on 2 nForce4 machines, on the second one another brand with the same UCCC Samsung chips at DDR500 are running 1T without problems, BTW this machine have also X2 3800+ so 1T is not problem for X2), the second package which I have tested today is unable to run without errors in memtest (and also unstable in Windows) also at my old computer with nForce2 at 200MHz 3-4-4-9. I just hope that it will not take again almost 3 weeks to have a new pair. :evil: However, this company have only Corsairs as a "better memory" and no other "good" brands.

Small notice for others: the first ones have got a "clips" over heatsings, the second ones are without that, but that means nothing. :):

• Corsair Employee
I would not suggest them for this platform but you should be able to run these modules. However, depending on the CPU you would need to manually configure the bios because these modules only have the SPD settings for DDR 400 and if you have a 333 FSB CPU you will need to manually set the memory Frequency and timings to run at DDR333 at Cas 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.8 Volts.

OK, i will try it tommorow on my old nf2 with that settings. As i have written, no luck at that settings above. Of course, they should be for my new PC, where old HyperX DDR400 from the old one runs fine (A8N32-SLI).

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

X2 3800+, Asus A8N32-SLI, 7800GTX, Enermax 500W. Right now, CPU 10x250MHz at 1.45V, RAM 250MHz (set to 200 in BIOS 1:1) 3-4-4-8 manually set, everything else Auto, voltage 2,8V (tried 2,6 and 2,75), HTT 4x. Prime torture test fails in about 2-3 minutes, many errors in memtest test 6 or 8.

When 10x260MHz 1.45V with HyperX modules divided to approx 178MHz and approx 2-2-3-6 (or something like that), 100% stable (Prime several hours).

When at old computer Barton 2500+ (166MHz) at 222MHz 3-4-4-8 and 2,77V (Epox 8RDA3+ have strange voltages here), many errors in memtest, no Windows installed there.

I have tried also X2 on default 10x200 and memory 250MHz, it was the same (the CPU is a good piece able to run at 2,7GHz with voltage about 1,52V).

I will have G-Skill modules tomorrow to test the rest of the computer, which are DDR500 and runs 3-4-4-8/1T fine in DFI board and my friend will be testing this Corsair pair.

Finally, i have downgraded BIOS from 1103 to 1009 on which i tested the previous pair, BIOS clear, CPU at stock speed 10x200, 1,45V (default is probably 1,35V but BIOS sets 1,45V when "Auto"), set them to 250MHz 3-4-4-8/1T 2,8V and to be sure decreasing HTT to 4x. Errors in test 6, not tested in Windows. Switched the position of modules, few less errors. When 3-4-4-10/1T no errors at test 6 at first pass, BUT 26 errors in test 8 which i have interrupted.

The previous pair 3 weeks ago was able to run much better, but only at 2T. I have not tried 2T this time. But the specs are 3-4-4-8-1T so they must be able to run at that.

My friend will test them in DFI and i will test his brand tomorrow. The first pair was failing also in his board.

I will RMA through local distributor, i think i just miss the luck. I will see if i will be lucky, else i will probably not choose Corsair for my P4 with DDR2 which i want to buy later to be my Linux box.

Archived