Corsair Community

memtest say bad stick

sonic_blue

Hi,

I have been having BSOD's quite frequently recently, thought it was a driver or hardware config. issue, nothing fixed the problem. I ran memtest, and it generated lots of errors on 1 stick. I have a matched pair of cmx512-3200xlpro ram that I purchased from Newegg on 8/2004. Newegg says since its more than a year out, gotta contact manufacturer. So I guess I have to post here first to get some replacement ram?

Thanks

see profile for hardware

• Corsair Employee
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have (Cass 2-2-2-5), and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Ok, couple of questions then. What is the default setting on this MB for memory voltage? I've left the memory settings on default since the beginning - well over a year. Is it typical that you have to manually set voltages and timing values instead of leaving the defaults? For >$300 ram I really wouldn't expect to have to worry/tweak such things.

The machine has been solid the last couple of days with the 1 stick that passed memtest, and yes, I did disable "legacy usb support" for memtest.

Thanks

What is the default setting on this MB for memory voltage?
You'd have to read the manual / check with the motherboard manufacturer.

Is it typical that you have to manually set voltages and timing values instead of leaving the defaults? For >$300 ram I really wouldn't expect to have to worry/tweak such things.
For high end ram this is normal.

linky no work: No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Well, I've manually set voltage and latency. Ran memtest overnight and no errors with both sticks in... The machine seems to be running fine, for now.

I'm just confused about why it had been running fine for over a year, and now "needs" to be manually configured. I'm also not convinced this won't happen again...any thoughts?

• Corsair Employee

Its hard to speculate with out seeing the hardware. However electronics will settle or change slightly with time and probably you just got lucky. All of our memory has a lifetime warranty so if the ever fail we will be happy to replace them.

Sorry about the link! :(:

Archived