ParaDogs Posted January 25, 2006 Share Posted January 25, 2006 Hi there, I have encountered some difficulties with my memory sticks and here is my post, to which I can later referr to, if no solution can be found here. Stats: Mainboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (Dual Channel support) CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000 MHz Sound: onboard Graphic: Ati X850 XT 256 MB AGP Harddisk: 2x SATA WD360GD Raptor in a RAID RAM: Corsair 2x CMX512MB PC3200XL DDR PC400MHz (currently used: Corsair 2x CMX512MB PC2700 DDR PC333MHz) I do not overclock my CPU or the RAM in my system. The graphic card however is ocasionally overclocked for some games. The avarege temperature of the CPU is around 55°C and the Mainboard lies around 28°C. The Story: In November 2004 I purchased the (at that time) new RAM sticks which I have described in the title from a german internet shop. At that time I had my "ATI Radeon 9500 Pro" graphics card in my system which was softmoded to a Radeon 9700 Pro. I always encountered random system reboots or system freezes when playing games like Half Life 2 / CS Source or later Battlefield 2. It was different each time; sometimes it would run fine for hours and sometimes only for a very short while. But since my graphic card was overclocked I always thought that this had to be the reason and it never came to my mind, that it could be the RAM, because I have had no problems with my former RAM stick, which were also from Corsair. Only when I updated my graphic card and still had the same problems I checked my whole system. I downloaded Memtest and checked the RAM and it produced around 300 errors after the first 2 rounds. First I didn't even know if 300 is high or in a range which is acceptable, but after some research in forums I found out that it was way too high. I also checked each memory stick for itself and tried out different memory slots, but the results were always the same. Each test produced many errors. I had no problems when using Windows and it's applications. I guess it's because they never used up all the 1024 MB of RAM, games however take as much as they can get. When I looked at the addresses, which had produced the errors in Memtest, most of them were above 1000 MB or in the late 900s. I assume that the errors were at the end of the modules. I then put back my old memory sticks in and didn't experience any crashes / reboots during those games anymore, but of course the whole system is much slower now. I tried to contact that internet shop to ask for replacement, but that shop doesn't exist anymore and the current owner doesn't want to feel responsible for it. If there is any solution or if you need further more information, then post it here and I'll answer them. Best regards, ParaDogs. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.