Corsair Community

Cmx512-3200c2pro

Rattrap

I have 2 CMX512-3200C2PRO's. When run individually each chip seems to run fine and runs at 400 mHz (200 FSB). If I install both in dual channel mode, they drop down to 200 mHz (100 FSB). It does this in mutliple systems and if I install different PC3200 ram in those systems, they do run correctly at 400 mHz. They were not sold as a 2 pack, they were bought seperate. The only visible difference is that on the label says

XMS3202v1.1

and the other

XMS3202v2.1

other than that they seem to be identical (except for another series of number which I believe to be the serial number).

Is there are reason this would happen, even though they should be the same chips with the same timings?

1 Motherboard was a MSI Diamond Pro with an AMD Athlon64 4400+ x2, the other test board was a Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 with a AMD Athlon64 3500+

No, these are 2 entirely different computers with entirely different hardware. I just tested the ram in the other machine. Single chip, Runs at 200 mHz FSB (400 DDR), but with both in drops to 100 mHz FSB (200 DDR). It is one of the strangest things I have ever seen. The CMOS of both machines shows that the FSB for the ram should be at 200, but they both report DDR 200 speeds on bootup and in various Windows Applications: nVidia nTune, SiSoftware Sandra.

I tried using a couple of CMX512-3200PTs I had, and these do come up at DDR 400 on both machines, so it doesn't look like it is an actual problem with the computers' hardware itself, since the behavior is consistant between the 2 machines.

Relaxing the timings did seem to help. They did begin to operate at their proper speeds again. Haven't run memtest yet, but the computer seems to be stable so far. Why should I have to relax the timings on these to get them to operate at the speeds they should be?

Archived