Corsair Community

HELP needed... memtest error

robkwan

Just purchased TWINX1024-3200 (dual ch, 2x512), installed into EPOX 8rgm3i (barton xp3200), memtest #5 failed :mad: . Installed into MSI K7N2 Delta-L (also barton xp3200), memtest #5 failed :mad: .

The 8rgm3i is running 2x256 vdata; K7N2 is running corsair value VS1GBKIT400 2x512. Both are working perfect.

Running TWINX1024-3200 individually (512 only) passes memtest #5. Together, no go. I did not change timing, set to SPD.

Is TWINX1024-3200 defective? Suggestion?

CAS Latency (tCL): 2.5

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6

Memory Voltage: 2.75 Volts

All other settings to defaults.

MEmory's gotta run IN SYNC with the FSB, so if it's a 333 Mhz FSB Barton, run the memory @ 166 Mhz, 400 Mhz FSB Barton, run the memory @ 200 Mhz.

Memory Voltage: 2.75 Volts

All other settings to defaults.

MEmory's gotta run IN SYNC with the FSB, so if it's a 333 Mhz FSB Barton, run the memory @ 166 Mhz, 400 Mhz FSB Barton, run the memory @ 200 Mhz.

Will try when I get home :(:

Memory is @ 200. The 8rgm3i has no voltage adjust :mad: ; but pretty sure the K7N2 Delta-L does. All memory timings are set to use SPD, it must work and it may not work if changed (traditionally). Can you give some insight why must change the default timing and voltage for it to work?

The VALUE set was PnP, not problem at all. Cost more to buy TWINX than VALUE, but must do extra steps to get it to work :mad: :confused:

I tried, still not working :mad:

Voltage is at default which is 2.7v, unfortunately highest manual setting is also at 2.7v :mad:

I set memory timing to as suggested, same error in memtest #5

Additional info:

1) The memory (with default or the modified timing) passes the MS memory diagnostic but NOT memtest.

2) The memory plugged into the K7N2 non dual channel slots (with default or the modified timing) passes both MS memory diagnostic AND memtest. Not possible with 8rgm3i due to only 2 slots and always dual channel on 2 sticks.

My conclusion is the pair is MISMATCHED (somehow) since it passes memtest in 1G non dual channel but failed 1G dual channel; and the K7N2 is and has been working with the corsair VALUE 1G kit in dual channel.

The package I got doesn't have any seal to prevent tamper, one can't not tell if the package is brand new or returned or whatever. Are all corsair memory package this way?

The TWINX1024-3200 without the C2 suffix is not listed in the corsair guide. But I am not doing any extreme OC, so the the non C2 should do, same as the VALUE kit.

EPOX 8RGM3I

Most Popular:

TWINX1024-3200C2 / DDR-400 (XMS-3200C2) / 2-3-3-6

Best Overclocking:

TWINX1024-4400C25 / DDR-550 (XMS-4400C25) / 2.5-4-4-8

Lowest Latency:

TWINX1024-3200XL / DDR-400 (XMS-3200XL) / 2-2-2-5

MSI K7N2 Delta-L

Most Popular:

TWINX2048-3200C2 / DDR-400 (XMS-3200C2) / 2-3-3-6

Best Overclocking:

TWINX2048-4000PT / DDR-500 (XMS-4000) / 3-4-4-8

Lowest Latency:

TWINX2048-3500LLPRO / DDR-434 (XMS-3500LL) / 2-3-2-6

Very disappointed ... low end (cheap) memory works, high end (more $) memory doesn't :confused: :mad:.

BTW, I actually asked for the VALUE kit, he ordered, 2 days later he gave me the TWINX, he said the same price (something about DDR price dropping or corasir having promption). :evil:

No reply, very disappointed :mad:

What surprises me is TWINX is supposed to be matched pair that should just plug them in and go with the default timing. People who are more adventurous can play with the timing ... etc; but the default timing must work! Browsing at this thread tells otherwise. It looks like Corsair has design and/or QA issues to work out.

TWINX is not low end memory, people paid extra money for it and expect it to work. Forcing buyer to do RMA is just rude, postage and time lost etc; there are people still have issue with the 2nd set.

I wasted $100 for the TWINX :evil: :evil: :evil:.

• Corsair Employee
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, (Cas 3-3-3-8) and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I exchanged the TWINX1024-3200 with another set. The new set has 3.3.3.8 and v5.2 on the sticker; the old set did not have the timing info and I don't remember the version; but the old set was auto default to 2.5-3-3-8. I installed the new set into K7N2, failed memtest #5 at cl2.5 again; passed both memtest and MS test at cl3.

The UPC label shown TWINX1024-3200 for both set, but they have different default timing. I suspect the old set would probably be OK at 3.3.3.8 which I did not try. The K7N2 has been running Corsair VALUE dual channel 1G for over 1 year at the default timing (cl2.5) without problem. From Corsair, XMS = Extreme Memory Speed, what is with the Extreme (:mad: ???), their own VALUE line performs better than the base XMS line :evil: . I could have save some money with the VALUE line. I originally ordered the VALUE set since I was using them already with no problem. But the guy ordered the TWINX, he told me it was the same price, so I accepted the TWINX.

Folks, don't spend extra money on those so call high end memories. All hype, don’t deliver. My VALUE is faster and cheaper than the TWINX, EXTREME SURPRISE :D: .

Extremely disappointed with Corsair QA and business ethic :mad: :evil: .

• Corsair Employee
More than likely there is some other issue that has not came to light yet. All of our XMS modules are tested on a MB at the rated speed before they leave our factory. And what you have reported sounds more like the system may not heve been properly configured. However, I userstand you are not happy it did not work for you liek you had hoped. Maybe the Value Select is the best choice for you. But I would suggest testing the Twinx modules in another system to be sure.

Two different nforce2 mb, epox and msi, they are both working mb with Corsair VALUE dc 1G and cheap VDATA dc 512M. How many mb is needed to accept the fact the first TWINX is not matched since the pair only work in none dc :evil:

Archived