Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200XLPRO problems

goodcow

My key components were,

ABIT IC7-G MAXII Socket 478 Intel 875P ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Pentium 4 3.0C Northwood 800MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor Model BX80532PG3000D - Retail

Antec NEOPOWER 480 ATX 480W Power Supply - Retail

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200XLPRO - Retail

One night, I came home, turned my system on, and nothing would post, nor would the motherboard beep. Of the two RAM sticks, only one's LED lights would turn on at power-up, and only one row of them in the middle. After nothing posting for several seconds, those LEDs would turn off.

I tried both sticks, one at a time, in DIMM1, and nothing. Again, only one of the two's lights would go on.

After much troubleshooting I swapped the board with an Asus P4P800 SE 865PE 800MHZ Ddr Ram 4 Gb. The Abit board was apparently dead. In addition, I swapped the power supply to a Thermaltake 430w spare from my friend just to be safe.

First I tried a stick of PC2700 256MB RAM from my friend. It worked. I then hesitantly put the Corsair RAM back into the new Asus board.

Machine worked first for about 24 hours, then, while ripping an audio CD the system locked and the LEDs on the RAM were frozen. Hitting reset did nothing. Power off and back up resulted in the exact same problem, no post, not even the board beeping, and with only one of the two sticks' LEDs lighting up, in only one row, for a few seconds before turning off.

At this point I was pissed... I unplugged all the IDE/SATA connections, took out the RAM, and left in the PCI/AGP cards, CPU, and power. I tried booting, and this time the board actually beeped, since there was no RAM in it, unlike the Abit board. Thankfully, the board didn't die again.

After that I got the 256MB stick from my friend again, and the machine booted fine. I'm now almost positive that the Corsair RAM is in someway damaged, and I'm not putting it back into any other board for fear of it killing it like it may have with my original Abit board.

Suggestions or comments? I'd like to RMA this RAM, but it said I had to post here first.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the motherboard fried the memory, not the other way around (memory's passive in the system, doesn't actively pull power, just uses the power sent to it).

BTW, put your system specs in your profile.

Click here to add your system specs to your profile and posts!

Sounds like the motherboard fried the memory, not the other way around (memory's passive in the system, doesn't actively pull power, just uses the power sent to it).

Well if that's the case, can the RAM still be returned for an RMA?

• Corsair Employee
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I'm sorry, but the RAM is definitely screwy now in some way. Using it with the new Asus board (and a new PSU which verifies as working properly) as I had mentioned, it worked for about a day, then froze while ripping a CD and the system would no longer post, nor beep.

The board does work with generic RAM now, BUT, the onboard LAN (on the Asus) seemingly died after that freeze-up with the Corsair RAM. I've got a replacement board coming from Amazon which'll be here Wednesday, but because of these circumstances, I don't want to put the Corsair RAM in another board as it was damaged in some way, and now seems to be killing other parts along with it. I hope you understand, and I'll now follow your link to start the RMA process.

• Corsair Employee

It would be impossible if the memory could damage another part or MB. There is nothing active in its circutry.

Did you manually set the voltage and timings I gave you?

If you did and are still having a problem then please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Since the Asus board is going back to Amazon for RMA anyway, I did try putting the RAM back in again even though I'm still under the impression it damaged something. Result, no post, no beep.

Quick summary...

Original Antec board - came home, no post, no beep. Board is actually dead.

Replacement Asus board - generic RAM, worked fine, including onboard LAN

Replacement Asus board - Corsair RAM, worked for about a day, including the onboard LAN, then froze, would no longer boot, no post, no beep

Replacement Asus board - no RAM, would beep

Replacement Asus board - generic RAM, works, but onboard LAN is now dead

Replacement Asus board - Corsair RAM swapped in again, no post, no beep

As for a PSU causing problems with this new Asus board, again, the Asus board was given a new PSU, and that PSU was tested as working fine with an Antec power supply tester.

So even though you're saying RAM can't damage parts... the onboard LAN with the new Asus board WAS working. It stopped working, and is still broken, ever since the Corsair RAM locked the system up with the new board. After that it wouldn't, and still won't get the new board to post OR beep, just like with the Antec board. Different boards, different PSUs, the only same variable right now is the RAM.

I have filed an RMA request, and hopefully with another new Asus board and new RAM, everything will be fine.

Archived