Corsair Community

VS2GBKIT400C3 compatibility with my new rig

hybridsoldier23

Hi guys,

first time here. I recently picked up the VS2GBKIT400C3 at my local frys got a good deal on it, $99. I was wondering about the compatibility. I have three questions- here's what I have on order: Asus A8N-delux SLI, Athlon X2 4200+, Antec Sonata II case w/ 450w power supply, E-VGA Geforce 7800GT video card, 250gb SATA maxtor HDD.

I've heard from a few other people that with the value ram you cannot go up to 4GB on the A8N-delux board is that true?

Also, I'm under the impression that the ram is not dual channel so configuring the 2 gigs that I have shouldn't be a problem?

I know you cannot advertise one motherboard over another so I'd like to know if problems exists with the Asus A8N-premium board?

Thanks!

Dual channel RAM is only regular RAM tested in pairs in a dual channel motherboard to make sure they work well together. They only started doing this after a lot of people were having problems with certain motherboards finding RAM that would work well together.

Dual channel memory is sell in pair and tested in pair. Your model # say it a kit two memory module 1gb each total 2gb.

Do you have two module?

VS2GBKIT400C3 model# means

Value Select : VS 2GB KIT PC : 400 Cas Latency: C3

My MOBO A8N-SLI Deluxe I think the A8N-SLI Premium is best of the two and according to “x-bit lab” better than A8N32-SLI.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/emhttp://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/ium

I've heard from a few other people that with the value ram you cannot go up to 4GB on the A8N-delux board is that true?

Actually, for all practical purposes you cannot run 4GB of RAM at the full 200MHz (DDR400) speed with most DDR400 dual-channel motherboards due not only to the limitation of DDR400 memory controllers (remember, four double-sided sticks of memory will force the maximum memory speed down to 166MHz/DDR333 or even 133MHz/DDR266), but also due to the fact that the largest unbuffered non-ECC module currently available is 1GB. What's more, all Value Select modules are unbuffered and non-ECC.

Thanks for the detailed information guys. From what you had said if I have a matching pair from this bundle (2 gigs) it SHOULD be able to run dual channel?

yep, and if you have a fry's electronic store in your area, grab another 2 gigs. they just had a sale for $99 after MIR (reg. $139)! this RAM rocks and even tolerates mild o/c'ing @ 210 MHz (ie. DDR420) on my board @ 3-3-3-8. you can't complain at this price! they might not have the fastest CAS, but if you do a lot of photo and video editing, any reduction of hard disk access due to memory swapping increases your work speed NOTICABLY!!!

R.

this RAM rocks and even tolerates mild o/c'ing @ 210 MHz (ie. DDR420) on my board @ 3-3-3-8.

Thanks for the information again, I did pick mine up at FRY's but i believe 2 gigs is enough for me. Can you please tell me if I will need to manually set the timing on the board to 3-3-3-8? There's no information on the site about the value ram so i'm kinda flying in the dark. Also how will I know if it's running at dual channel or not. Sorry for being such a ram n00b. thanks for the help again.

Thanks for the information again, I did pick mine up at FRY's but i believe 2 gigs is enough for me. Can you please tell me if I will need to manually set the timing on the board to 3-3-3-8? There's no information on the site about the value ram so i'm kinda flying in the dark. Also how will I know if it's running at dual channel or not. Sorry for being such a ram n00b. thanks for the help again.

the mobo automatically set the timings for me b/c i did'nt find any other info except for the advertised CAS3. hmm, yesterday i found out via CPU-Z (formerly CPU-ID) v1.31 that my RAM is doing even 3-3-3-7 @ DDR400 -- and that's with 4 (!) GB on the asus A8N32-SLI. most mobos capitulate with 4 GB and run @ only DDR333.

and yes, the kit does run in dual channel mode.

R.

It's your CPU doing that. What CPU and CPU core do you have?

actually, you're right. the memory controller for AMD64's is on the CPU. i'm using an AMD 3800+ X2 (rev. E4) o/c'ed from 2.0 to 2.4 GHz, memory clock is set to 166 MHz (which corresponds to a divider of 5:6). i thought that only rev. E6 and higher would support DDR400 with 4 GB...

anyway, when i boot up the computer, the post screen does say 333 MHz for the memory, but CPU-Z reports otherwise.

i attached 2 screen captures, one for my cpu, the other one for my memory.

R.

641534165_AMD64CPU.jpg.f99893bf8f2f11183466c96d6de0133f.jpg

2146158514_AMD64Memory.jpg.acd20118c5d4ed981704892993e2a1a6.jpg

wired:

now you got me going although i wasn't on planning on o/c'ing my valueselect RAM :D: .

i went back into the BIOS and set the memory clock to 183 (11:12 divider) and windows booted up fine. attached is another CPU-Z screenie showing my memory running @ 218 MHz. please note that i have NOT tested the stability at this speed. to me, it was amazing enough to have this cheap RAM run that fast.

when i set the speed to 200 (1:1 divider), windows wouldn't boot. i can't say whether it's due to the limitation of the memory controller or due to the excessive frequency of 240 MHz on the RAM sticks.

but either way, these value RAMs were absolutely worth their money!!! :biggrin:

R.

1261780994_AMD64183.jpg.a842e631cfa0cd34eaf4f5aa5ecabf89.jpg

this RAM really impresses me. attached is a screenshot of Prime95 and StressCPU running for 14+ hrs without a hitch.

Summary of my rig again:

* AMD64 3800+ o/c'ed from 2.0 to 2.4 GHz, +0.05 V

* 3 x LDT

* 4 (four!) 1 GB Corsair ValueSelect @ 218 MHz, 2.75V, 3-3-3-8-2T, 5:6 memory divider

:whip:

i can really recommend this RAM.

R.

PS: Prime95's option was set to test plenty of RAM.

822032562_AMD64CPU-RAMStress.thumb.jpg.2a54ffac273bda0400c5a9f5d26ce920.jpg

Archived