Corsair Community

Corsair Ram? Beeping Bios on bootup...help!

Jin007

I have an ASUS Mobo A8n-Sli, with 2 x 512 Samsung 3200 DDR400 CL3, 184pin chips on it. (i.e. 1gb)

I bought some ram off ebuyer namely some corsair ram 1 x 512 Ram:

Corsair (VS512MB400) 512MB, DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, 184 DIMM, unbuffered, CL2.5, 32Mx8 DRAMs

thus this would give me a bit of extra oomph (1.5gb...nice)

howeer, after adding the ram, when i boot up, its gives me bios beeps, 3 long beeps. This would indiacte a ram error, Does anyone know what could be the problem?

is it summat to do with matches pairs or bad ram or knackered mobo? or bios needs update? whats the problem?

thanks All!

is it summat to do with matches pairs or bad ram or knackered mobo? or bios needs update? whats the problem?

It has much more to do with memory mixing than anything else. You see, the on-die Athlon 64 memory controller does not like memory modules that have mixed speeds, mixed IC's, mixed timings, mixed SPD's, even mixed revisions. What this all means is that all memory installed on your system should be exactly the same brand and model of RAM in exactly the same revision.

And it's never a good idea to run a dual-channel Athlon 64 motherboard with only three of the four memory slots filled. Your system may not even POST at all under such circumstances - and even if it does work, dual-channel will be disabled (and thus forcing single-channel operation), and the memory clockspeed will be reduced to 166MHz (or even 100MHz) instead of the nominal 200MHz.

My MOBO A8N-SLI DELUXE the same board.

It’s a Dual-channel memory configuration. You need Dual-channel memory, memory with the matching pair.

Corsair (VS512MB400) 512MB is not Dual-channel mem. These are the list of the config. It supposes.

A8N-SLI

DIMM Support:

A – Supports one module inserted into the blue slot, in a Single-channel memory configuration.

B – Supports on pair of modules inserted into either the blue slots or black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration.

C – support for 4 modules inserted into the blue and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration.

FYI, there is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

So....in essence! Have i gone and bought the wrong ram? Hope ebuyer will swap it for me!

ok ill get some more ram, but do i have to have 2 x 512 Chips then?

under cpu-id my current 2 x 512mb Samsung ram = DDR SDRAM, CAS latency 3, pc3200, 200mhz, unbuffered.

How do I know If ram I am buying is Dual Channel? is ther a way to tell?

Does anyone know the cheapest Ram that will work on this system without slowing me from 200mhz? I didnt want to spend too much.

Thanks Guys!

So....in essence! Have i gone and bought the wrong ram?
It's never recommended to mix memory from different manufacturers / ICs. RJLeong65 explained why.

How do I know If ram I am buying is Dual Channel? is ther a way to tell?
RE-READ my post. NO SUCH THING as dual channel or single channel memory.

i see.

looking into it a bit more, i see that some ram is advertised as dual channel, this is just a marketing ploy then? what you are saying is that mobo's have the dual channel functionality enabling two matched pairs to be accessed at the same time? it is not to do with the ram..... it is beginning to make sense now. :)

However, this still leaves me with a problem, i am running 2 x 512 samsung ddr 184 pin chips at the moment(which came with my pc), I doubt i will be able to track down the same ram easily at a reasonable price, so although u say all ram should be exactly the same brand etc, this may not be practical for me. Realistically what do i need to look for to mske sure my current ram will be compatible?

I can see that it will be better for me to go for a 2 x 512mb as opposed to going for a 1 x 1gb chip, this way I can use the Dual channel functionality. What else do i ned to make sure my ram spec will be to ensure compatability?

(my pc and ram specs are listed in my posts and profile)

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
With this MB and or platform all of the modules would need to be the exact same speed and grade or the system may not post or run properly. This is a memory controller limitation. In addition, you can use 1, 2, or 4 modules but not 3. I would suggest if you need 2.0 Gig of memory for best performance replace what you have with one VS2GBKit400C3 set of modules.

Archived