Corsair Community

512XMS3200LLPT System Crashes

pose1207

Hey Ram Guy,

Here is my system:

MB: A7N8X-DX rev. 1.04

CPU: Athlon XP 3000+ 400Mhz FSB @ 1.65V (manually set) (400 not 333Mhz)

Memory: XMS3200LL Platinum

Timings: 2-2-2-5 (2-3-3-8 would crash as well)

Voltage: 2.7

Video Card: *** 5700LE 128MB

AGP Voltage: 1.5 or 1.6 (I've tried Both)

Here is my problem(s):

The system will reboot during game play. (most games, even diablo 2!)

System Reboots out of nowwhere and often.

I read in another post to try and set the jumper on the MB to 200fsb and adjust it through the bios. This was no help. I set the cpu voltage manually, this also didn't help. I have all the timings "user defined" (no SPD settings). Little help?

I havent run memtest because it takes soooo long. Are there specific tests i should run that would save me a few days?! thanks ram guy.

Pose

Memtest+ is the only test to run. Try these timings:

CAS Latency (tCL): 2

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 2

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6

Memory Voltage: 2.75 Volts

All other settings to defaults.

Okay, thats not going to work. the memory is guaranteed 2-2-2-5. also my motherboard only supports 2.6 2.7 and 2.8 voltage settings. i tried both 2.7 and 2.8. any other suggestions?

Hey Ram Guy,

Here is my system:

MB: A7N8X-DX rev. 1.04

CPU: Athlon XP 3000+ 400Mhz FSB @ 1.65V (manually set) (400 not 333Mhz)

Memory: 512XMS3200LL Platinum

Timings: 2-2-2-5 (2-3-3-8, 2-3-2-6 would crash as well)

Voltage: 2.7 (My bios only allow 2.7, 2.8, and 2.9) 2.75v??

Video Card: *** 5700LE 128MB

AGP Voltage: 1.5 or 1.6 (I've tried Both)

Here is my problem(s):

The system will reboot during game play. (most games, even diablo 2!)

System Reboots out of nowwhere and often.

I read in another post to try and set the jumper on the MB to 200fsb and adjust it through the bios. This was no help. I set the cpu voltage manually, this also didn't help. I have all the timings "user defined" (no SPD settings). Little help?

I havent run memtest+ because it takes soooo long. Are there specific tests i should run that would save me a few days?! thanks ram guy.

Pose

Okay, I havent received a reply and its been a couple of days. I have tried everything i can think of to keep my system stable but I am still having system crashes. I set the voltage to 2.8 but this seems no help either. What should I do? Thanks.

Well you would not be able to run these modules in D/C as they use different IC's. But you can try them in slots 1-2 and set the timings to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 and see if the system is stable with http://www.memtest.org.

Yeah, I took out one module to see if that would keep the system from crashing but it does not. The timings on the 3200LL module say 2-2-2-5 on the chip itself and when i set it to that it crashes more than ever. little help?

• Corsair Employee
Try the timings at Cas 2-3-3-6 and are you sure that you have a 400 FSB CPU? In addition, sometimes this revision of MB Rev 1.04 would not run at 200 FSB, but you should have the latest bios and load setup defaults and test the modules one at a time in another system to be sure.

Try the timings at Cas 2-3-3-6 and are you sure that you have a 400 FSB CPU? In addition, sometimes this revision of MB Rev 1.04 would not run at 200 FSB, but you should have the latest bios and load setup defaults and test the modules one at a time in another system to be sure.

Hi, yeah its the 400 fsb version not 333. I tried those timings as well. What should i set the voltage at, 2.7 or 2.8? I have tried both. I just ran diablo 2 a minute ago and it froze up just the same as it will reset or BSOD. I also set the jumper on the board to 200, instead of 266/333/400. same problems. I tried these settings with bios version 1008, and 1009. Both the same. I am unable to run the modules at the 400mhz setting in another computer because the bus speed of the chip is 133. How long does memtest usually take to run? Unfortunately I need my computer for work and I have been unable to let it finish as it has taken upwards of 6 hours to test the one 25%. Thank you for continued help.

• Corsair Employee
I would try and set the CPU Frequency at 166 MHz and set the memory Frequency at 100 % with the memory voltage set to 2.8 Volts and the modules installed in slots 1-2 and set the timings to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 and test the system with http://www.memtest.org if you have a failing module you will normally egt errros in test 4 no matter what speed you run them at. If its some other problem you will not get any errors with these settings.

I would try and set the CPU Frequency at 166 MHz and set the memory Frequency at 100 % with the memory voltage set to 2.8 Volts and the modules installed in slots 1-2 and set the timings to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 and test the system with http://www.memtest.org if you have a failing module you will normally egt errros in test 4 na matter what speed you run them at. If its some other problem you will not get any errors with these settings.

I'm testing one module at a time for it crashes far less with just one chip installed. Ive given up on dual channel. I did not realize that there was a difference between the LL and XL model in that one is 2-2-2-5 and one is 2-2-2-6 when i bought them different dates. Im POSITIVE this is the 400fsb version of the cpu, and thats why i bought this extra nice memory. I just tested the 3200LL module twice at 2-2-2-6 by itself and ran test 4 and the system reset. no error message, the screen went blank twice and the system reset. this a 133mhz bus cpu athlon. thanks again.

Try the settings I gave you to be sure.

Ok I tried 2.5-3-3-7 with both modules installed, the 3200ll and the 3200xl, memtest failed and restarts around 30% through the 6th test of "Test 4".

The 3200ll module failed with the 266mhz bus with just the one 512 installed in my other system with setting 2-2-2-6.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Okay Thanks. I am going send one in at a time since they are from different merchants and different models. I have tested both individually. and both the same errors. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived