Corsair Community

Bad Module Suspected

sat

Good day. My machine is about a year old, I put it together last September using components that I'd bought. Since then it's worked fine, but recently it started acting really weird - frequent system hangs, sudden reboots etc. At last, it refused to boot totally. It would just give me a long beep and stop at that.

I had a pair of 512M PC3200 ValueSelect ram in. I removed them systematically, (among other things, while troubleshooting hardware), and found that when I removed one of the modules, the machine would start. When I put it back in, the machine refused to boot. So right now the module is out, the other 512 module is in, and I'm using the machine fine. I haven't had any hangups or reboots since I removed that RAM module.

I think I can safely say that the module is faulty. What do I do from here?

Best regards,

Satyam.

OK, so I tried what you suggested. When I put the bad stick in the slot that the good stick was in, the machine didn't boot. The good stick was out of the machine. When I tried to power on, the power and hard disk leds came on and stayed on. The fans came on, too. There was no beep code, but there wasn't anything to the monitor either - it never came out of standby.

I took the stick back out and put it back in the same slot, just to make sure it was seated properly. Still the same result. I put back in the good stick, and the machine started up no problem, and now I can reply to the thread.

Thanks for your interest. Any ideas?

Best regards,

Satyam.

Archived