Corsair Community

asus A8n-sli premium dual channel issue

insanex1

I have an asus a8n-sli premium with Corsair (TWINX1024-3200C2PT) 1024MB (2 x 512MB memory with correct timings 2-3-3-6 but my system will not boot with this memory in dual channel I have latest bios 1009. Both sticks work in single channel together and appart but for some odd reason both dual channel slots don't work just get a single beep and a double beep.

Your board has an Award bios. The description of what the beep error code means may be found here:

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/awardB12-c.html

According to this error code some kind of video error is occuring which may or may not be ram related. According to your motherboard manual, two double-ranked sticks (which your sticks are, IC's on both sides of each stick) should be placed in slots A1 and B1 only for dual channel operation. Many people are having problems with this board and early versions of the bios and/or chipset drivers. You may want to reupdate the bios, in case it's corrupt, to the latest non-beta release (version 1009) available here:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

If you've never updated a bios before, Asus provides a link on the left hand side of the screen for instructions. In the notes, Asus also recommends updating the chipset drivers to version 6.65 or later (though on many forums people have reported problems with versions 6.66 and up). On the page Asus provides a link for getting the updated chipset drivers as well. Until the dual channel issue is solved for your system, it would probably be best to update the bios and the chipset drivers with only one stick of ram on the motherboard in the B1 slot (from the Premium manual). Hopefully, this will solve the dual channel issue; if it doesn't, post back in and will try something else. Good Luck.

ok so i've downgraded my chipset driver to 6.65, reflashed bios with 1009 all while only having 1 stick in b1 slot, tried to set memory timings myself and also tried setting to auto turned speech reporter on and still same beeps but speech reporter says "memory test error" weird thing is also that when I set to auto it makes my memory revert down to 333mhz, i've read this happens when mobo is on full load but its not. and after reflashing bios I did remember to set ram voltage back to 2.75 from auto.

For your system specs that supply should be alright as long as you don't add a second video card (20 amps on the +12 volt rail, need 24amps or better for two cards). Something else is going on here, the board shouldn't have to downstep two sticks of ram, that's only the case when four slots are used with certain core model's onboard memory controller of the Amd A64 class cpu's or when certain mixed sticks are installed: being different brands and/or models and/or revisions, which is not true in your case. The only other reason a bios would downstep the ram is if it can't read the spd chip on the sticks correctly (and many bios' from every motherboard manufacturer can't seem to do so) and goes into a quasi-fail-safe mode to get the system to boot at reduced speed and relaxed latencies until a bios update can be flashed. None of this is useful I know; it's just some background information. Unfortunately for you, your premium board comes with extra setting options in manual mode for dram configuration besides the four standard latency settings and the comand rate setting. Other people have posted with a similar problem with this board getting any brand ram to run if these settings are too far off. I don't know what these values should be; however, I did find some values after a bit of googling over at an overclockers site. Not really sure if they'll work but they're probably worth a try in addition to the normal values posted by Wired:

Trc-22T

Trfc-24T

Trwt-6T

Twr-2T

You're other option is to go over to the following site and research those entries in order to calculate the ideal correct values for those "arcane" inputs (that any reasonable motherboard manufacturer should have left to "Auto" in the bios):

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_Index.htm

Since you mentioned that the sticks work fine singly then the sticks are not at fault. Another possibility is you somehow managed to get one of the 100,000 or so bad memory controllers cpu's that were released by Amd (including some of you're exact model) that weren't recalled quickly enough, in which case you'll need to Rma the cpu. Dual channel mode is a funtion of the memory controller and the mother board not the ram. So if you can't seem to get any values to work for those "arcane" entries either the cpu or the motherboard is at fault.

I tried those timings and still no go. I thought I did notice a pin missing on the processor before installing it but I didn't think much of it since it worked but maybe thats the reason why it won't run dual channel. It was an OEM processor so I guess i'm SOL on warranty since i bought it over a month ago.

Archived