Corsair Community

Bad memory stick

rykow

I have been getting lots of blue screens and some times a system completly stopped or lockup. So I ran memtest86 last night about 9 hours and it found 52 errors. I have 2X1GB pc3200 installed. I will try today or tonight with 1 stick to see if I can identify if it's both or 1 stick. Is this definitly a memory problem. I have tried all kinds of stuff with updating bios, making bios settings, updating drivers, to no avail. Now someone suggested I run memtest overnight and it showed these errors. Is this the answer to my problems?

• Corsair Employee

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

• Corsair Employee
Please check your user manual for how to make changes in your bios, but the memory voltage will be under Frequency and Voltage Controll, I think its called Cell Menue in your MB and then set the timings under Advanced Chipset.

could I be getting errors if I am running dual channel without matched pair of sticks? I was looking at your web site for a matched pair, what is the difference between black and platinum?

Umm... one's black, one's platinum :) That's it, no performance difference or anything, just bling bling :)

OK finally had some time to test these out. Here are my results, I ran memtest for 15 - 20 minutes each time.

2 sticks in double slots - get errors - Lots - almost right away

1 stick - no errors

2 sticks in single slots - no errors

Another vendors sticks in double slots - no errors (but they were 512 each - really shouldn't matter)

This sucks - what do I do now?

• Corsair Employee
If the memory does not fail 1-up then you most likely have a motherboard issue. The first step should be updating the BIOS to the latest version. If this does not yield a good result then contact the mobo maker and explain the situation to them as they can help you with further action.

• Corsair Employee
I don't understand, I tested the board with another set of memory sticks from another PC, the test was good. The only time I recieve errors is when I use the 2 sticks of corsair memory in dual slots.

There is a good chance it is the memory settings then. I suggest loading your BIOS and going to "Load optimized defaults" and then making the following changes under the "Advanced Chipset" menu:

CAS Latency: 3

TRCD: 3

TRP: 3

TRAS: 8

After that go to the CELL menu and change Memory(DDR) Voltage to 2.75.

Archived