Corsair Community

Possible bad modules?

SwabTheDeck

About three months ago, I bought a TWINX1024-3200C2PT kit and I have been experiencing problems. The ram I had in my system prior to that was 2x 256 meg modules of 3200C2PT and it worked perfectly. Since then, I have been crashing in games, back to the desktop giving me a "memory could not be read" error as well as the entire system restarting in the middle of games. I have also had many of my files corrupted, such as program installers and windows files. My current system is an Athlon 3500+ Venice with an ECS K8T890-A motherboard and a BFG nVidia 7800 GT video card. The processor is running at stock speed and voltage, and the memory is running at stock voltage (2.5v), and the SPD is somehow programmed at 3-3-3-8 instead of the 2-3-3-6 it was advertised at, and my motherboard does not allow adjustment of the timings except for the CAS latency. I have run memtest for about 2 hours and it produced no errors. Is there anything else I should be checking?

Also, I tried running this memory in another system, an MSI K7N2 Delta-L motherboard with an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton. Stock voltage and speed on the processor, same timings and voltage on the memory. I experienced the same errors and problems on that system with these modules.

Up the memory to 2.7x volts or +0.2 or +0.3 volts (they're both within the warranty of the memory).

Also, enable the CPU Over-clocking Func and see if it lets you enable more memory timings. If not, disable it again. Also, try hitting CTRL+F1 to see if it enables more memory settings as well.

Also, ALL 3200C2s have 3-3-3-8 as their default SPDs. They're meant to be changed in the BIOS.

Archived