Corsair Community

DDR RAM Set Fails

To Whom it May Concern:

Some Back Ground:

I have two sets(kits) of dual-channel XMS memory (P/N: TWINX1024-3200XL ) each set is 1 GB total so when all DIMMS are installed on my MB I have a total of 2 GB. Each DIMM is exactly the same type except for on the label one set has one serial number the other has another serial number. Let's call one set "Set A", the other "Set B". I just installed both sets to replace slower memory, my motherboard supports 4GB (an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe) after I installed them I did full memory test (using MemTest86+ and MemTest86), both programs show errors on bit 2 on one memory modules. Note that I have the BIOS and MmeTest application using the Memory SPD for timing configuration... I DO NOT overclock. To toubleshoot the memory problem I did the following:

T1: Installed Sets A and B : Mem Errors Yes (bit 2)

* In the next three tests (T2 & T3 & T4) I used the same 2 memory slots

T2: Installed Only Set A : No Mem Errors

T3: Installed Only Set B : Mem Errors Yes (bit 2)

T4: Installed Only Set B - Swapped DIMM Memory Slots - Mem Errors Yes (bit 2)

T5: Installed Set B DIMM 1 only : No Mem Errors

T6: Installed Set B DIMM 2 only : No Mem Errors

From the above data,it looks like one memory set (Set B) has problems operating in dual-channel configuration, looks like the timing is off on one of the memory modules of Set B.

It looks like I need an RMA Number! What do you think?

Thank you,

Mark Orlassino

Pentium 4; Socket 478; 3.0 GHz; 1MB L2 Cache; 16K L1 Cache

FSB 800 MHz; PAT Enabled, BIOS - Everything Default (except PAT); USB Legacy Off;

Northbridge: 375P

Interesting that one set works, the other set doesn't (I'm defining a set defined by serial numbers how the kits were purchased).

• Corsair Employee

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

And PAT should be set to AUTO as well as the performance mode.

• 2 weeks later...
I did as you said... basically one dual channel set fails when they are used together (DIMMS have the same S/N or lot #, whatever...). They we purchased as a dual-channel set and cost me alot of money. I tried to click on the "I have bad part..." but he link didn't seem to work, complained about an illegal thread. What do I do now?

Archived