Corsair Community

A8N SLI memory settings...

blackhawk66

What memory timing settings should be used for VS1GBKIT400 (2 sticks) & 2 x CMX256A-3500C2PT on the Asus A8N SLI Mobo?? I have heard that 2.5-3-3-6 can be used for the 1GB kit, but is it still true for all 4 sticks used together??

Besides, is 2T a must when installing 4 modules??

:confused:

Welcome to the forums, blackhawk66!

I believe the 2T command rate limitation is a limitation of the memory controller when you use multiple modules. Another limitation is that it may force you to run 4 modules at DDR333 instead of DDR400.

Also, running non-matched memory modules may also not work at all depending on your CPU core revision. To be completely honest, I wouldn't even use the TwinX512 set and just go with the 1GB kit instead... you'd probably end up being more stable and have a better bandwidth going that direction.

If you're dead-set on using all four, make sure they're matched up correctly (read the mainboard manual on memory installation) and relax the timings back to something like 3-3-3-8 with a VDimm of 2.75 volts.

PLUR

CK

Thanks for your prompt reply!

At first I'm okay with just 2x512MB but I found running BF2 with only 1 gig ended up with lots of disk access... so I guess I need to stick with all 4 sticks.

FYI, I ran memtest86 with 2.5-3-3-7 for over 12 hours and it reported no errors, so can I assume it is okay to use all 4??

Also, as I'm running the CPU at 245Mhz, I need to lower the RAM speed to 333 in the bios, but cpuz reports it is running at 200Mhz, it this normal??

Below is my config:

AMD Athlon64 3000+ (Venice core - BW E6) oc@245x9

Asus A8N-SLI Bios 1011

1.5 gig RAM

Seagate 120 SATA hard drive

Leadtek 7800GT (oc@475/1140)

Pioneer A08 DVD writer

Cooler Master Hyper 6+ cpu cooler

Antec TruePower 2.0 550watts

If Memtest86+ showed no errors, then you can probably run the modules without a problem!

As for the 333, think of it as setting a divider more than an absolut frequency.

Normally, the FSB frequency is 200MHz which is a 5:4 divider to DDR333... but if you overclock to 250MHz, that same 5:4 divider yields DDR400 instead because it's based off of a faster frequency in the first place.

So yes, it's normal.

Looks like you've got a good setup going!

PLUR

CK

p.s. You posted that at about 5:00am for Corsair... they're open normal business hours, so be patient before bumping.

Thanks! RAM Guys! Guess I have found the optimal settings now and I am very happy with that! Your advice has been very helpful, keep up the good work!

P.S. Sorry, didn't mean to push you I wasn't aware the time difference as I am not in the states.....

:biggrin:

Archived