Corsair Community

Defective pin on the module. Is this covered by warranty ?

nerochiaro

Hello,

I bought a 512Mb Value Select module (VS512MB400) from a local reseller. I installed it on my ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard, with default BIOS settings. It was the only memory module in there, to be sure of avoiding conflicts.

When i turned on the machine, it started freezing or crashing randomly during the boot process.

So I uninstalled the Corsair module and examined it more closely. I noticed that one of the pins seems defective. The metal coating was starting to tear off from the plastic base, probably failing to to make proper contact with the socket.

So i went back to the retailer and asked for a replacement under warranty. They told me they were unsure if Corsair warranty would cover this kind of defect on the module.

They told me that if Corsair refuses the returned item because it's not covered by warranty, they would bill the shipping charges upon me. Since i'm based in Italy, you can understand how this will cost much more than just purchasing a new module.

They told me to personally contact this Corsair tech support board and ask for an official confirmation of the warranty in this case.

So i ask: Is this kind of defect covered by Corsair lifetime warranty ?

Can i tell my reseller to return the defective module to you with reasonable certainty that it will be accepted ?

If you need more details, or a picture of the defective pin on the module, just ask and i will provide them.

In the event that the warranty is valid, should i tell the retailer to include this support post with the RMA request ?

Thanks for your time.

Let's get them both replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Thanks for the nice canned response.

I'm glad the module can be replaced (it is one, not two, by the way).

But i posed a specific question that still is not answered by either you or the FAQ listed into your signature. I will ask it again in more detail:

- i want to return the product through my retailer: do i need to request an RMA number and give it to the retailer ?

- do i need to give to the retailer a reference to this forum post number as a confirmation that you authorized the return ?

Please answer clearly, since it is very important that the return is accepted.

I don't want to pay an expensive inter-continental shipping round-trip because of a misunderstanding on your answer.

Thanks again.

• Corsair Employee
“- I want to return the product through my retailer: do I need to request an RMA number and give it to the retailer?

- do I need to give to the retailer a reference to this forum post number as a confirmation that you authorized the return?”

First thing, if you want to return them thru your reseller you would need to ask for their return policy and work this out with them. I am sorry but there are just too many resellers to know how each one takes care of their returns. The information I gave you was with the intent of you sending the modules directly to us. In addition, I doubt your reseller will help you with this as it may be considered physical damage on your part! That is why I suggested you submit the RMA request to us directly. However, if your reseller will help you since it sounds like you are not in the USA I would try them first. If they will not or cannot help you then please contact our customer service directly as instructed previously.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

First thing, if you want to return them thru your reseller you would need to ask for their return policy and work this out with them. I am sorry but there are just too many resellers to know how each one takes care of their returns. The information I gave you was with the intent of you sending the modules directly to us. In addition, I doubt your reseller will help you with this as it may be considered physical damage on your part! That is why I suggested you submit the RMA request to us directly. However, if your reseller will help you since it sounds like you are not in the USA I would try them first. If they will not or cannot help you then please contact our customer service directly as instructed previously.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Thank you for your very detailed response.

My reseller said they don't think it's physical damage on my part. They were afraid that you at Corsair would think it was my fault and not accept the return.

So if you say it's ok for you, they won't object to sending it back.

And i want to apologize for the tone of my previous post, which was maybe a bit too harsh.

Thanks you your time.

• Corsair Employee
No problem, and from what you have described I dont think there will be any problem. If your reseller has any problem with getting them replaced please ask them to email me and copy a link to this post and I will do my best to help get the issue resolved.

No problem, and from what you have described I dont think there will be any problem. If your reseller has any problem with getting them replaced please ask them to email me and copy a link to this post and I will do my best to help get the issue resolved.

Sorry to be forced to ask further assistentance, but i think that i might want to ship the module back myself, since the reseller is making this harder than it should be.

1) My english is not so good and i might have explained the broblem poorly. So, for a definitive confirmation of the RMA, i attached 4 pictures of the module for you to examine. Please confirm that you will still accept this module.

2) What kind of packaging do you require on RMA goods ? The cheapest option I have is just to use the original plastic package they were sold in, and put that inside a padded envelope. Is that enough to protect from airmail shipping hardness or do you require a cardboard box for that ?

3) Is the expense of sending the replacement from your factory to my home at your charge ? Or should I pay for that too ?

I am also applying for a support ticket into your Tech Express Support system, so now i have an official case number for this: #100502 (I seem to understand that a case number is required for RMA, if i'm wrong, then sorry)

Thanks again for your time.

Corsair_1.thumb.jpg.db3a5620f33ec1394a4a631e90ef54fc.jpg

Corsair_2.thumb.jpg.f8066e0ab02c27a85a537c79ca9d1810.jpg

Corsair_3.thumb.jpg.0739adba18999d4d1e8ac3934f640608.jpg

Corsair_4.thumb.jpg.354c974446ea3df222590ab06ffe41c2.jpg

Archived