Corsair Community

Corsair Value Select & XMS compatibility/speed questsion.

Usurp

I have an existing 512MB stick of DDR400 Corsair Value Select ram in my motherboard. It has been working perfectly fine for quite some time.

I recently purchased a stick of Corsair XMS DDR400 (CMX512-3200C2PRO) ram to increase my ram from 512MB to 1GB to improve system performance. I researched my motherboard before i bought the part and know that it should work perfectly fine in my system.

However, I have noticed for quite some time that my Value Select ram has been operating at DDR266 speeds instead of DDR400 speeds, or at least that is what is indicated at startup.

I have a of couple questions in this area.

1) How can I increase the speed of my current Value Select ram to DDR400?

2) If i can not increase the speed of the value select, will the XMS ram run at the lower speeds?

3) The XMS series says it is compatible with 2.5-3-3-6 latency speeds for AMD systems, which i have. Can i run the two ram sticks at different latencies if the Value Select stick does not support that latency setting?

I was told some time ago that ram will run at the lower speed setting if multiple sticks are present, is this true?

I have an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, Abit KV7 VIA KT600 mobo with 3 DDR400 compatible memory slots, 512MB of DDR400 Value Select ram (VS512MB400C3), nVidia 6600GT video card, and Windows XP Pro. If there is any other system information that you need, i can provide it.

I have not placed the XMS series stick into my system as of yet. I am waiting to pick it up this weekend.

I have been interested in overclocking for quite some time and would like to attempt some of it but I would like to understand a few basic things before i start trying. RAM compatibility and latencies are a couple of those things.

Thank you for your time.

It's never recommended to mix different part #s together. All the modules have to run at the same timings. They MAY work together @ 3-4-4-8, but even that's not guaranteed.

Best bet is to not get the CMX512-3200C2PRO and to instead get another VS stick that has the same part # as your current VS stick.

Archived