Corsair Community

Do Intel 13th/14th-gen CPU problems impact Corsair pre-builts?

I have a Vengeance i7400 with Intel i9-13900K CPU. Should I worry about the infamous Intel CPU problems?

Use HWinfo or some other monitoring software to monitor your cpu core voltage.  If it's hitting around 1.5 and especially anywhere near 1.6 volts then you have a problem is my understanding.

Edited by zguy85

Is this the Core VID on the HWInfo64?

Honestly not sure V but does seem voltage should never ever hit 1.6 either vid or core.  VID should be higher than core when pressed but my understanding is neither should be hitting previously stated.  Alot of information out there right now and very much speculative.  Supposedly only effecting only 1-2% produced.  Also people are recommending detune ram to 4800 until patch comes out mid August from Intel then up to Corsair to push after that? Big oof on Intel for sure.  Some information stating  those damaged the damage is irreversible even with updates the hardware / production / design is flawed.   Sure much more info will come out from Steve at Gamers Nexus the coming weeks.

Edited by zguy85

Okay. The following is my test result. I use Cinebench to stress test multicore for 10 minutes. I think HWInfo64 only shows Core VIDs. When I set the Windows at Balanced mode, the max VID of any cores in the 10 minute run is less than 1.4V. When I set it to Best Performance mode, the max VID of any cores in the 10 minute run is 1.401V. 

Guess mine is a good one? 🙂

Looks to be good 👍.   Niceee

This is horrible news. What do we do if our CPU's fail? How is Corsair handing this? I purchased a VENGEANCE i8100 in March, 2023 that has an 13900KS. So far I haven't experienced any issues, but I can't help feeling that I'm sitting on a ticking time bomb here.

Hey all,

I purchased a pre-built Vengeance i8100 w/ a I9-13900KS & ASUS Z790-P mobo, in March, 2023 directly from this website. In light of the known degradation issues with this CPU that have recently come to light, I'd like to know what Corsair is currently doing to help customers who are experiencing problems. How are RMAs being handled? Who do I contact if I need support, including a replacement cpu should the need arise?

Unfortunately, Corsair uses proprietary BIOS for their mobos, making it impossible to directly apply any fixes offered by manufacturers like ASUS. In addition, the only BIOS offered on this website for my particular PC are old and predate any attempt to mitigate the ongoing (and scandalous) degradation issue with this batch of Intel cpus. Who can we contact at Corsair who might provide us with the necessary BIOS updates as they become available?

Thanks for any help.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Ajames718 said:

How are RMAs being handled? Who do I contact if I need support, including a replacement cpu should the need arise?

Who can we contact at Corsair who might provide us with the necessary BIOS updates as they become available?

It sounds like you already know, but just to be sure:

The support portal is @ https://help.corsair.com. Downloads are at https://corsair.com/downloads.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Technobeard said:

It sounds like you already know, but just to be sure:

The support portal is @ https://help.corsair.com. Downloads are at https://corsair.com/downloads.

No, actually I wasn't sure. Yes, I do have the download section bookmarked, but because everything in the download section pertaining to my PC is from 2023, I assumed it was an old or archived portion of the website and that the default link was simply out of date. In practical terms this means, unfortunately,  there hasn't been a single BIOS update for my $4,400 i8100 PC since I bought it almost one-and-a-half years ago. At the very least, it certainly begs the question why. Wouldn't you agree?

Ordinarily, this wouldn't be such a big deal, since BIOS updates should only be applied as needed. However, considering the whirlwind of controversy and technical issues surrounding this family of Intel cpus, passing along necessary and potentially vital BIOS updates that ASUS and other manufacturers have been regularly offering their customers to help mitigate some of these issues isn't really too much to ask, is it? Indeed, one would think/hope that the reason Corsair assumed the direct responsibility of providing BIOS to their PC customers in the first place was because Corsair relished the prospect of providing the most thorough, hands-on customer service experience to their loyal customers as possible. Yes?

At any rate, thanks for the links.

Edited by Ajames718

Corsair's BIOS setting is a bit conservative. This might have helped us. Corsair does update their BIOS firmware. But somehow they don't put them on the download site.

I received my i7400 about a year ago. The Download site still shows A.CB BIOS version. But mine is running A.CD. When I first got it, I detected some lags. Their advanced support team gave me the new FW and it improved. 

Maybe Corsair will publish a new version of BIOS for us this time around?

there's been many security updates since last year, a microcode update a few months back to fix the TVB bug (0X125) and now the 0x129 for the high boost voltage bug.

That's not like a new corsair product where they never communicate new releases by policy.. it's damn important bios updates that they don't even tell if they will be coming.

The usual Corsair way of handling hardware is designing them, putting them out for sale and going to the next thing. Once on the shelves, it's already forgotten.

So either they commit to put out UEFI updates, or they should just leave the OEM (Asus, MSI etc..) handle updates.

It's ok to deal with quality issues with RMA without fixing the issues when it's a fan or a mouse, but a motherboard or a CPU, it's just not acceptable.

And just to be clear, having lower power limits doesn't mitigate the degradation problem. Single core boost can push high voltages without touching the power limit at all, so they have to send the new microcode update ASAP.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

there's been many security updates since last year, a microcode update a few months back to fix the TVB bug (0X125) and now the 0x129 for the high boost voltage bug.

That's not like a new corsair product where they never communicate new releases by policy.. it's damn important bios updates that they don't even tell if they will be coming.

The usual Corsair way of handling hardware is designing them, putting them out for sale and going to the next thing. Once on the shelves, it's already forgotten.

So either they commit to put out UEFI updates, or they should just leave the OEM (Asus, MSI etc..) handle updates.

It's ok to deal with quality issues with RMA without fixing the issues when it's a fan or a mouse, but a motherboard or a CPU, it's just not acceptable.

And just to be clear, having lower power limits doesn't mitigate the degradation problem. Single core boost can push high voltages without touching the power limit at all, so they have to send the new microcode update ASAP.

Absolutely true. Adjusting voltage/power limits in the BIOS to 307a. 253w/253w as prescribed, along with disabling Turbo Boost, are only temporary solutions. To add to that, I would also avoid any software/games that are seemingly exacerbating this issue, like Hogwarts Legacy, Dying Light 2, etc until we have updated BIOS.

In all candor, I don't have any confidence in Intel to provide a permanent solution to this unmitigated disaster we all find ourselves in. At the end of the day, this catastrophe is exclusively on them. That said, by passing this microcode update along in a timely manner, at least from a customer service standpoint the fine folks at Corsair can say that they did everything in their power to help their loyal customers deal with this issue. Let's hope they agree.

Has anyone on this thread seen a high Vcore value on his/her 13th/14th-gen Intel CPU? 

I have a Corsair PC and I've been keeping an eye on this thread. I haven't had any issues whatsoever. I would hope that there's a BIOS update available but honestly if their settings are working might not want to risk messing with it anyways. Great computers.

@vett93 I replaced my mobo with exact replacement MSI Z690I about 6 months ago.  Voltage was fine averaging 1.39v no issues when running Cinebench R24.  

Updated the BIOS from MSI recently ran the test was averaging 1.47v.  Immediately had stability issues. 

Easily fixed by changing my P core multiplier from auto to manual.

From default: 0-54x, 1-54x, 2-55x, 3-54x, 4-54x. 5-55x, 6-55x, 7-54x.

To: 0-3 Cores at 53x and 4-7 to 48x.

Found this to be best overall stability.  Averaging core at 1.37v sweet spot with very little drop in R24. My 4-7 were running warmer then 0-3 overall for me this worked out well with even temps across 0-7 overall.

Edited by zguy85

BTW Gentlemen. MSI Just released their Beta BIOS update to fix the issue their MOBO's for the i13 and i14 Intel Processors. 

COUNTDOWN BEGINS....... How long till Corsair put's theirs out?

Edited by zguy85

I've tried years ago to no avail.  Maybee the new MSI BIOS will overide???  Let me know how it goes.

@DOOM_MARINEMost likely then the person you were speaking with doesn't know what they are even talking about.  Unfortunate.   If Corsair doesn't come through with an update in the following few weeks it will say a lot and instill serious doubt moving forward.  This is an update they just simply cannot sit on their hands with.  it's a critically required BIOS update.   Thanks for the follow-up Doom.   Plan B, replace the MOBO and be free of Corsair's BS, it's what I did.

Well if the chip is bad then the pc is a lemon... They technically owe me the price of this pc back... But we all know that will go nowhere... Going to have to replace the mobo cpu and ram to AMD... Just hope this pc makes it to the end of october... Without the bios update corsair is liable and without the bios the pc will eventually die... Just not made out of money and these new parts I replace this pc with will set me back...

If ya stress test the system with Cinebench or other, and aren't hitting unusual voltages 1.45v+ on the CPU core you should be fine and won't need to worry about damage.

14 hours ago, zguy85 said:

If ya stress test the system with Cinebench or other, and aren't hitting unusual voltages 1.45v+ on the CPU core you should be fine and won't need to worry about damage.

If the problem is like what Intel stated, CPU algorithm problem, why do some CPUs have problems and some don't?