Corsair Community

iCUE Link Fail-Safe Mode on Any Game

Hopefully this is the correct place to come for the problem I am having, I'm new here so please direct me to the right spot if I am not. Thank you!

A few months ago, I bought a Link H115i water cooler and have added two more fans to the Link configuration (two on the radiator, one top exhaust, and one back exhaust). Ever since I bought it, I keep having this issue where all my fans start flashing red and ramping up while playing games (or occasionally from normal use). From trying to look into this, it seems like a software update "fixed" this issue but as far as I can tell, I am on the most recent update for every device in my PC. All of this leads me to believe something else is going on with it.

I've attached two images to this where it was happening (ignore that one of them doesn't have the error, I closed it before I took the screenshot)
The image without the failsafe error occurred while I was playing Fortnite, and the other one occurred while I was playing Balatro. I specifically added the Balatro one since that game is 500mb and could probably run on a toaster, and yet it still happened.

I've been at my wit's end trying to figure out the root cause of this so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Fan Config:
Fan 1:  Back Exhaust Fan
Fan 2:  Top Exhaust Fan
Fan 3:  Bottom Radiator Fan
Fan 4:  Top Radiator Fan

PC Specs:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NitroFox/saved/7wkk99

FortniteFailSafeError.png

BalatroFailSafeError.png

Edited by Njtro
missing details

Your coolant temperature (H115i CUE Link Temp) is in the mid 50s in both shots. This is substantially over the normal max without any load. It wouldn’t take much more to bump you to 60C and trigger an alarm (60C is product limit). 

Its reading pump so it must have power, but there appears to some type of low flow state or mechanical problem preventing the liquid from moving at the proper speed. You might be able to observe this on a cold boot. The coolant will start about the same as the QX “air temp” or case ambient temp, but it will start ramping up at power on and continuously climb until it’s hits the 50s — all with minimal load. It should take several hundred watts for an extended duration with minimal fans to raise the liquid temp by 20C. The only other ways to create this condition is to trap the heat in the radiator, either by sealing something against it or possible running to sets of fans on opposite sides of the radiator, each working against the other. 

Contact Corsair Support to file a warranty claim and get a replacement. Make you note that liquid temp and mention the QX temp suggests the ambient temp is 20C less. That is the piece of info that excludes normal environmental factors like heating up the case with the gpu, etc. It also looks like the radiator is front mounted as intake, so gpu heat should not be a huge part of its temp. The QX fans on the front are a measure of intake air temp and the two exhaust exit air temp. Clear evidence this is not an internal temp problem.