Corsair Community

Water Loop is not cooling PC!

Hello. I had a persistent problem with my processor overheating to at least 88c when preforming regular tasks, and hovering at 40-60c when nothing was loaded. I bought the "H170i Elite Capellix", thinking it would fix it. Unfortunately, as soon as I switched the PC back on, I had EXACTLY the same issue. There's no change whatsoever, despite this being a major upgrade. Or so I thought.

Can anyone help? Nothing I do seems to affect the temps! I've tried new paste, and updating Asus Suite.

SPECS
Windows 10
Processor: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K   3.00 GHz
Motherboard: Asus Z790-p 

Ram: 32gb DDR5

Edited by Tiggy

it is probably the bios settings, which on Asus often have power limits totally unlocked and multicore enhancement (overheating insurance) turned on.

It's worth a shot having a look what those are set to (should be 253W PL2 on 13900k), and making sure MCE is set to "Off, enforce all limits".

This CPU is very easy to cool if you don't let the motherboard cook it.

Also, if you're not using a contact frame, it's a good idea to install one to replace the current CPU retention mechanism. It prevents CPU bending and allows for lower temps. Some see small gains, i personally reduced the temps on mine by a good 20°C under full load, but 10-15°C reduction with that alone isn't rare.

10 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

it is probably the bios settings, which on Asus often have power limits totally unlocked and multicore enhancement (overheating insurance) turned on.

Thanks. I have a frame installed, and it did help very slightly. Is there a tutorial on setting up the BIOS? Or can you lay out exactly what I should do. I already set one thing to 'enforce all limits'.

there's a post there that explains the steps :

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/intel-700-600-series/z790-e-gaming-wifi-ii-pl1-pl2-power-settings/td-p/996000

Factory values for the 13900k is Long duration : 125W, Short duration : 253W https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/230496/intel-core-i9-13900k-processor-36m-cache-up-to-5-80-ghz.html

If the cooler works well, you can then increase the long duration power limit.

image.png.4426c807a16c7e919429460a69b517b8.png

You need to get a Vcore reading during gaming. CUE shows this and other apps like HWMonitor will register peak values. The Asus multicore “enhancement” is the usual culprit. Boosts all cores to the turbo max in conjunction with removing power limits. That then gives permission to use as much voltage as needed. 

Go to the Advanced Bios (F7) and then to the second column from the left. The name varies by model and branding, but it’s usually something like AI Tweaker or Extreme Tweaker. These are all the main settings. Right at the top 2-3 rows will be Asus Multicore enhancement. See it to disabled - enforce all limits. This that should turn off the unlimited power/voltage. Check temps again before making more refined changes. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 9:40 AM, LeDoyen said:

there's a post there that explains the steps

Thank you, but it's already enforcing limits. Is there any way that I could tweak the H170i Elite Cooler to keep up with the overclocking instead of removing it?

22 hours ago, c-attack said:

You need to get a Vcore reading during gaming.

I'm actually using Unity, and the profiler for that is showing a spike but not (I think) a huge one.

Edited by Tiggy

The AIO itself is a heat relocation device. It takes the CPU heat and dumps it elsewhere. The actual cpu cooling is conductive from the CPU lid to cold plate on the AIO. When you see erratic cpu temps and high spikes, AIO settings like fan speed or pump speed have nothing to do with it. It’s either poor contact between the cpu and cold plate or very high voltage being applied and removed.