Corsair Community

My Corsair CMX256A-3000C2 won't work with Nforce4 SLI

omarh

I'm really confused here...I bought two Corsair XMS memory DIMMS a few years ago for my Nforce2 board. Back then it was a brand new board and brand new memory. I couldn't get it to boot up. As it turned out, Corsair said there was some issue with the SPD and that motherboard....so I went with an MSI based on KT333A...which wasn't as good as Nforce2 but at least it worked right out of the box with the two Corsairs.

Now here I am years later, and I decide to upgrade. This time to a new Nforce 4 board, the MSI Neo4 SLI Platinum to be exact. Guess what...same problem!! It won't boot up with my corsairs in there. The only way I got it to boot up, is using some cheapo crucial PC2700 memory I had in another computer.

I just don't get it...how come this brand new motherboard using Nvidia's chipset, still doesn't like my corsairs?

This time I am not going to swap my motherboard for some VIA chipset...I"m going to stop buying Corsairs if I can't figure out a way to get them to work with my Neo4 SLI board.

I just don't think the memory is bad though, because I was just using both of them in my MSI KT3ultra2 board. (via chipset kt333a).

In fact, I'm going to put them back in that board and see if they still work. It seems so unbelievable that they'd both go bad just this one time I decide to put them in the new NForce4 board.

I've upgraded my own computer for years now and never had so many problems with RAM before. I guess all these new ram settings and SPD settings are making it more complicated than ever before.

Well, in case anyone was following this thread (I doubt it)...I put the two corsairs back in my Kt3Ultra2 (via chipset kt333a) and they work fine in there. Kinda sucks cause I don't need 1 gig of ram in that computer...but oh well.

Since I can't find out why these work in a kt333a board but not nforce2/4 I am going to avoid corsair and save myself future frustration.

LMAO, I think I realized what the problem is.

3000C2, NOT 3200C2, correct? If so, it's too slow for the CPU!

Yea this was a weird memory slot Corsair came out with betweeen 2700 and 3200...

but uhm, I currently have PC2700 memory working fine now...so I dont' think 3000 is too slow...

however...I'm wondering now..since the Athlon64 has the memory controller built-in...maybe it just won't work with PC3000 memory? It will only work with 2700 or 3200?

grr...why did Corsair have to make these weird memory types then?? they're useless if that's the case.

• Corsair Employee
I think maybe you are putting the cart before the horse. XMS3000 when it was released was PC-2700 memory that was just tested at a higher spec thus XMS3000. And you are using a module that was made at least 2 years before the MB you are trying to use them in. I am sorry but this is just not realistic to expect us or the MB maker to test with products that are not on the market any more.

I think maybe you are putting the cart before the horse. XMS3000 when it was released was PC-2700 memory that was just tested at a higher spec thus XMS3000. And you are using a module that was made at least 2 years before the MB you are trying to use them in. I am sorry but this is just not realistic to expect us or the MB maker to test with products that are not on the market any more.

Nice to know, that lifetime warranty basically means that once your motherboard dies, your memory is as good as worthless. Since, it will be difficult to buy older model motherboards in the future.

What good is a lifetime warranty on memory if the motherboards don't come with the same kind of warranty? I've never seen one that did. They're all so cheaply made after all...

In my opinion, if your new motherboards supports the memory type (like PC2700 or whatever)..then that memory should work, even if it is 2 years old...

Lucky for me, other memory makers seem to get that right.

so, farewell and good luck.

• Corsair Employee
No thats not true, but you cannot expect an older module to meet a new MB's spec. I am sure if used just the XMS3000 module it would run with out problems, but you cannot mix memory with this platform and because the memory controller is in the CPU its a bit tricky to over clock them.

Archived