Corsair Community

Hydro X Series XG7 - Recurring Blue Screen/Display Errors

ehQme

I have this posted in customer service, but adding it here as well to see if anyone has dealt with this: 

Ever since installing my Hydro X Series XG7 RGB 30-SERIES GPU Water Block (3090 FE), I have been dealing with ongoing blue screen of death errors (video scheduler internal error) and intermittent display issues with monitors cutting out. This is worse when I have multiple monitors connected, but still happens with just one. 

This seems to happen more when windows containing video are playing, but it's sporadic and somewhat unpredictable. I really don't want to have to revert to the stock air cooling and remove my GPU from my loop, but I haven't found any other good options. Does anyone have suggestions for troubleshooting this issue? Thanks.

Nothing here folks? This has been getting progressively worse, and it looks like I am going to have to remove the water block and revert to air-cooling the card. 

@ehQme  I'd assume that if your GPU wasn't having problems with its original cooling solution and only showed issues when the block was installed, it might be a pressure problem with the water block.  Maybe you are applying too much pressure to the GPU die.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlaiseP said:

@ehQme  I'd assume that if your GPU wasn't having problems with its original cooling solution and only showed issues when the block was installed, it might be a pressure problem with the water block.  Maybe you are applying too much pressure to the GPU die.

Thanks for the reply. That's correct, the issues started after switching to the water block. I'm not sure how I'd go about testing or altering the how much pressure is applied to the die. Is that something I'd control through flow rate alone for the pump within iCue or otherwise? I appreciate the input

No, not the liquid running through the block but rather how tight you installed the block itself to the GPU itself.

7 hours ago, BlaiseP said:

No, not the liquid running through the block but rather how tight you installed the block itself to the GPU itself.

Understood, yeah, that's something I can attempt to troubleshoot. GPU temps don't go to any abnormal places. Not sure if that's something I should expect to see if that was the case.

I was originally thinking that the thermal pads might be missing or in wrong spots (or wrong size) but I believe all the Corsair blocks have them pre-installed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlaiseP said:

I was originally thinking that the thermal pads might be missing or in wrong spots (or wrong size) but I believe all the Corsair blocks have them pre-installed.

Yes, its pre-installed

what are the temperatures like in idle and when gaming?

8 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

what are the temperatures like in idle and when gaming?

Usually about 37-38 when idle. I haven't tried gaming in a few months but they stay really stable. 

I have two slim 360mm rads and one full-size 360, so provided the pump is doing its thing, temps are never an issue. Before I had the water block on the 3090 FE, I was cooling the CPU with the two slim 360mm and never had these issues. 

seems warm unless your water is also 37-38.

it'd be worth checking if you don't have crazy temperatures under load. there's been occurences of thermal pads too thick from the factory (or screws not tightened fully by the user) leading to poor die contact and heavy throttling or crashes.

Otherwise on 3x360, it should be stupid easy to cool yes.

2 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

it'd be worth checking if you don't have crazy temperatures under load. there's been occurences of thermal pads too thick from the factory (or screws not tightened fully by the user) leading to poor die contact and heavy throttling or crashes.

water temp at 28. Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into thermal pad contact on the water block. TBH I'm leaning toward getting rid of it and just slapping on the 3090 FE stock cooling. The headache is not worth it, and I just hope I haven't damaged the 3090 long-term. 

2 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

image.thumb.png.56c10889f652ad814a6c182ca7023985.png

At this point, there are just so many temps that I'm not even sure what's what with the 3090 anymore, to be honest. Built this rig at the start of 2021, and I wish I could say I did anything that justified the hassle of water cooling has been with iCue. At least I can say I did it once. 

I would pursue the original suggestion and remount the GPU block. Everything about that seems like a pressure issue. You don’t get those kind of errors from temperature and a 27C idle inside a case is very normal. 

In a side note, make sure you get off the Commander Pro preset fan curves. They were not intended for this and use a strange combination of cpu temp control variable on a water temp curve. Your fans will sit at 1500 rpm all day. Click the yellow + in the cooling tab. Under the graph change the sensor to Commander Pro Temp 1 (liquid temp). Then click one of the shape tools in the bottom left. Those are the intended liquid temp presets. 

You also can/should set it up for your specific environment. Looks like 27C is the baseline. Set it for quiet speeds there. You likely top out near 37C, so set a tolerable moderate fan speed there. That’s pretty much it. You don’t need the fans to react to momentary changes in load and as long as they keep spinning, waste heat is steadily expelled from the liquid after it’s picked up at the blocks. 

• Like 1

And as a sidenote, your ram runs at 2133 mhz (1064mhz ddr). remember to enable XMP/DOCP when you'll be done 😉

• Like 1