Corsair Community

Let's Talk about the New iCUE Link Cables!

This is getting confusing and frustrating.  It's early adoption and I'm building a top-end rig soon with iQUE link in the 7000 case, ripping out the fans and hub that comes with that case.  c-attack has taught us a lot with his early explorations, but these new iQUE cables, which is the whole point of the new system is really confusing when it is supposed to simplify everything.  

Here is what they have:

- Connector Kit.  What in the World is this connector kit?  What is it for?  Do I get it?  

- Cable Kit w 5 cables that do not have a 90-degree connector on one side.  Two 100s, two 200s and one 600mm. 

- 600mm Y-Splitter.  When would you use that?  

- Cables with one side having a 90 degree connector - 100, 200 and 600mm.  

- Cables with two regular (non-90 degree) connectors - 100, 200 and 600mm

When is it best to use the 90 degree cables on one end vs the cables with two non-90 degree connectors?  

Has anyone actually bought a cable yet?  They are all listed as OOS.  

What cables come with the AIO and the fan kits?  

Corsair, don't make us try to figure this out.  Just tell us....

600mm cables with starter kit fans x1 

600mm one side 90 degree x1 and 100mm 90 degree both ends comes with AIO 

anyone that has ordered the starter kit fans can order for free as 100mm cable and they will start shipping with them in i believe as of now 

Y splitter people who are building custom loops I'm guessing 

use the 90 degree end at fan entry to keep it lower profile makes it look cleaner in the case 

not very hard to really know tbh just a bit of common sense OOS cables is a problem but i believe it was a supplier issue not big deal  they will be in stock sooner or later but you get plenty of cables to still build be it a little untidy until you can replace 

Thanks.  That is good info.  Corsair needs to get one of their guys to take about 10 minutes and update their site on those fan kits and AIO and tell us what cables are provided with those kits.  They might consider writing a few sentences explaining what the various cables are designed for and what that connector kit and Y cables are for.  Just writing a few sentences could clear up a lot of potential confusion by early buyers of this potentially awesome new system.   

It is only common sense once you have it in your hand and start building or at least know what you are going to get.  I'll be watching the store and start ordering parts and build when the dust settles on this iQUE Link a little and I've seen a couple of YouTube videos building with this new stuff.  I'm not building without having every bit of it in hand and knowing I ordered what I need.  I bet there is going to be some quick lessons learned here and a few glitches.  I'm not good enough at this to be the one learning it for the first time.  I'll leave that up to the guys who build hundreds of systems and are going to be reviewing this soon (I would think).  I think this is going to be a big win for Corsair and may inspire a few people to build that otherwise might not have - and more than just gamers.   

19 hours ago, baz2011uk said:

Y splitter people who are building custom loops I'm guessing 

This is a good question. In theory, it should "twin" the two fan groups on the ends.  However, does this change the max fan limit per side?  I don't think so because that limit is going to be power based.  You can't simply add in another 6 QX fans to a side with the Y-splitter.  The big deal on this new connection method is a long addressable (2x7 fan) series, so I am wondering what value the splitter has in terms of set up flexibility.  The only thing that comes to mind is dual 360 panels where you want them synchronized.  You can do this in the software too though, so splitter not required except for hardware lighting mode.  That makes me wonder if it’s really a splitter at all more of a dual path cable.  Perhaps originating at the hub and then branching off in different directions like 3xQX top and 3xQX front. Then you address sequence order in the hub set up. 

If any one puts this thing to use and figures some stuff out, please share.  

Edited by c-attack

7 hours ago, gregJohnson1956 said:

what cables are provided with those kits

Starter Packs 3x120 or 2x140 come with 1x600mm straight connection CUE Link cable.  Single QX fans come with zero CUE Link cables.  If you have any jumps between fan sections, you will need additional CUE Link accessory cables to bridge the gap between them.

Almost everyone is going to need 90 degree CUE Link cables unless you have a really massive case with lots of room on the ends of your fan sections.  The straight plug needs a minimum of 30mm before it can start bending at all and 50mm is a more realistic minimum space.  That's going to be really tight in a lot of cases, if not impossible.  Double 90 degree CUE Link cables are what most people will want for fan section to fan section jumps, which apparently we don't have so you'll have to get by on a 90 deg + straight end cable.  

Edited by c-attack

3 hours ago, c-attack said:

Starter Packs 3x120 or 2x140 come with 1x600mm straight connection CUE Link cable.  Single QX fans come with zero CUE Link cables.  If you have any jumps between fan sections, you will need additional CUE Link accessory cables to bridge the gap between them.

Almost everyone is going to need 90 degree CUE Link cables unless you have a really massive case with lots of room on the ends of your fan sections.  The straight plug needs a minimum of 30mm before it can start bending at all and 50mm is a more realistic minimum space.  That's going to be really tight in a lot of cases, if not impossible.  Double 90 degree CUE Link cables are what most people will want for fan section to fan section jumps.  

I agree with C-Attack here. There should be a 90 in every kit. I had to leave my 4th fan off the front of my case to connect them to the hub using the straight cable until I can purchase the 90 degree ones. Using the straight connector simply didnt work on my case with the radiator in the front. Some more thought needs to go into what is provided for the starter kit.

1 hour ago, gregJohnson1956 said:

C-attack said we need double 90 degree cables but there are none.  I think there is only 90 degree on one end.....

Ugh.. that was my mistake.  I thought there were some 90 deg on both end connectors.  There really should be some double 90 deg connectors.  Something to watch out for on tight jumps like a front 3x120 to a side motherboard 3x120.

there is a 100mm 90 degree both end as the AIO come with one i used it in the scenario you mentioned above to bride my front  3 120's to my side  3 120's  

Edited by baz2011uk
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I think that is where I went wrong.  I incorrectly assumed it was part of the accessory offerings.  It needs to be.  

i know corsair are sending out a 100mm straight to people that already own the starter kits for free as they plan to start shipping them with the kit 

so on my request i asked for 3 90 degree both ends as i ordered 3 kits and they was happy to provide it but they wont be shipping till sept time so i am happy to wait 

this was the white ones also  

This is great info, so there is a 100mm double 90-degree cable.  Great!  Corsair needs to get on their own website and add info and update the new iCUE Link section.  

What do you think the chnces are that Corsair offers an updated version of their7000 case with the new hub and QX fans?  Any chance by October?  I ask because I am delaying my build until the Raptor Lake Refresh 14900K chip is available.

I am also now considering building with the new BeQuiet DarkPro 901 that just released.  Why?  I want to go all Corsair (and ASUS motherboard) but since I have to strip the fans and PWM hubs out of any case I buy and add the iQUE link fans, hub and AIO, the case doesn't matter in terms of the fans it comes with or hubs.  That new DarkPro 901 is the best big case in the World right now, so I might as well build in it and add in all Corsair stuff vs doing the same with the much older 7000.  That is, unless they update it with iQUE link stuff installed.  Then I get the Corsair case for sure.  

What do you think?  

I've been studying the Corsair site every two days or so.  They now show a picture of the included cables with the fan kits.  100 and 600mm cables with no 90 degree connectors.  The picture shows both cables in the kit, but the parts list only mentions the 600mm cable.  

Also, the 140mm QX fan kit comes with only two fans, not 3 like the 120 mm kit.  Why?  I need four 120 fans, so now I will order two kits.  I need 4 120mm fans also, so that will be one 120mm kit and one additional fan.  That gives me 4 hubs - One with the AIO and three with the 3 kis.  4 hubs!  LOL.  

On the pictures showing the hubs - what is the thin wire that plugs into the hub along with the PCIe cable and power cable?  There are three wires going into the hub.  

Also, what is the connector kit?  Is that for custom loop equipment?   I don't think I need that with an AIO and the fan kits, right? 

The cables shown on the site change a lot.  There seems to be a lack of cables with 90-degree connectors.  I also no longer see a cable kit offered.  That was there before....

The 100mm cables are far too short to be useful to just about anyone imo.  Customer support sent me some after I contacted them, but they didn't let me know what kind they were going to be and didn't answer any questions I had about them.  The 100mm cables arrived today and are laughably short, rendering them useless.  I bought two of the 3-fan kits along with an AIO.  I ordered these a month ago and still have a fan that can't be connected to the rest of the system due to the lack of cables included in the kits and the short length of the cables they sent.  The fan that can't be connected is literally right next to the others, just can't snap it together since the other two are attached to a 240mm AIO.  The 100mm cable is too short to connect them even though they're right next to each other.

I'm hoping that Corsair will straighten this out, but it has taken a couple of weeks just to get this far in the customer support process.  I love the new Link system, but those fan kits ABSOLUTELY need to include an extra [longer than 100mm] cable for what they're charging.

Edited by Parmenedes

Well, customer support refused my request for a cable that's longer than 100mm.  Kind of depressing.  I spent $600 on six fans and an AIO that won't function properly without purchasing a separate $20 cable that would really cost about $30 since I'd have to pay for shipping too.  Those 100mm cables are effectively useless in almost every use case.

That is valuable information.  I'm waiting to build, and the case is a 7000 which is very big.  Has anyone built a rig with all iCUE Link (AIO, fans and cables) working as it is supposed to with all the right Link cables all connected properly to a single hub and everything working in the iQUE software?

This cable situation sounds terrible, which is why I started this thread almost three weeks ago.  It's ironic really.  The cables are what makes the system special, yet so far it seems to be the glaring weakness.  Glad you guys are experimenting.  I'm waiting till someone builds successfully with the Shift PSU, Link AIO, at least 8 QX fans and the whole thing humming like it is supposed to hooked to the new hub.  When that happens, I'm ordering an absolute mountain of top-end gear from Corsair and ASUS and I'm building....  But not yet. 

This cable think is too weird....  Corsair rolls all this new system out with the most important and what would seem to be the easiest part missing - the cables.      

There must be like maybe two people trying to build with Link right now.  Is everyone sitting around waiting for this to sort out (like I am)?  I mean seriously, who would build right now a new rig using Corsair AIO cooling and corsair fans and not build with Link?  How does Corsair even sell a non-QX Link fan right now for new builds?  I can see guys buying the other fans if they are updating or adding to a previous build, but who would build a new rif using a lot of Corsair parts and not try to build with Link?  

Edited by gregJohnson1956

Hi

Do you know if it's possible to connect qx 140 starter kit to CPU fan header through System Hub as other PWM conrollers? I know that this 2 pin  fan header next to power supply of the hub is for AIO. 

Well, the whole idea is that the one Link cable can be used to connect any link device to the hub or the next device (14 devices to one hub), so yes. 

C-Attack told me that the AIO counts as 4 devices (3 fans and one pump) and that is one cable going to the hub from the AIO or the previous device.  The hub has two connections of 7 devices possible for each for a total of 14, but you have to split the 14 devices into two groups of 7 or less.  This could cause some directional architectural challenges during the build.  But hey - 14 devices using one cable in and out for each is pretty awesome, right?  

It's expensive, and who knows if they will support that system in the future. And it's closed system focused only on Corsair devices.I've contacted them regarding my question. Only possibility is to connect my pump to CPU fan header to walk around. Generally idea is great! I hope for more available cables like white ones double 90 angled 200 mm.

On 8/4/2023 at 11:40 AM, HKM said:

Hi

Do you know if it's possible to connect qx 140 starter kit to CPU fan header through System Hub as other PWM conrollers? I know that this 2 pin  fan header next to power supply of the hub is for AIO. 

No, you must use the CUE Link hub for power. You can’t bypass the hub on any of the varying brands of inter-linked fans. 

Edited by c-attack
  • Thanks 1