Corsair Community

RamGuy Help! ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe with 4 VS512MB400 = Problems.

Clydesdale440

I just decided to drop another gig into my SLI set up, just to make BF2 run all that better.. I've been building my PCs for years so I know what I'm doing but I am getting old and all this new fangled Memory jibber jabber makes my eyes glass over. I'm starting to think that I have a bad MB...big supprise that..

So, first, according to the manual if you only have 2 sticks you should put them in A1 and B1.. well that does not work. If I put them in those slots I get the long memory error beep..so I have to put them in A2 and B2.which works fine..dual channel at 400mhz and all that wotwot?

Now, I bought two more sticks, same stuff although purchased a fair amount of time apart but they look the same and are the same part number. No boot.

I spoke to Asus and and they said that I should get the timing values for the sticks and manually enter them..probablem is I can't fine the specs on Corsairs site..

and then call them back if that did not work.

The manual says that this type of memory should work, DS, with 4 sticks.

So, what should I do here? I see some talk about not being able to use DS memory in all fours slots or some such...or having to run at 333?

Any ideas?

Basic System Specs:

AMD64 3500+

Memory you already know :)

2x GF6800GTs

Bios rev. 1012 (Started this out with 1006 I think..update didn't do jack obviously)

Regards,

Clyde

From reading a lot of the posts here regarding this MB and such it would seem that this memory is probably not the best to have for what I'm looking for? Yes, I know.. "You don't need 2 gigs" but tell BF2 that..it lags even with my SLI setup becaus it keeps hitting the hard drive to load textures.

But anyways, if I can get this memory to work, even at lower speed I may let it slide for now...or at least be able to then tell if it will do what I want it too. As I just bought it I can take the extra gig back so I'm not all that worried about it....just annoyed :) I used to be able to keep up with this stuff but I only upgrade every 3 years or so and this time around so much has changed that the bios are turning into all greek for me!

So, is it possible to get this configuration to work? If so, what should I try? I'm still suspicious of my MB and the fact it will not post with 2 sticks in the slots the manual says they should be in...but the manual could be wrong, who knows.

CD

From reading a lot of the posts here regarding this MB and such it would seem that this memory is probably not the best to have for what I'm looking for? Yes, I know.. "You don't need 2 gigs" but tell BF2 that..it lags even with my SLI setup becaus it keeps hitting the hard drive to load textures.

But anyways, if I can get this memory to work, even at lower speed I may let it slide for now...or at least be able to then tell if it will do what I want it too. As I just bought it I can take the extra gig back so I'm not all that worried about it....just annoyed :) I used to be able to keep up with this stuff but I only upgrade every 3 years or so and this time around so much has changed that the bios are turning into all greek for me!

So, is it possible to get this configuration to work? If so, what should I try? I'm still suspicious of my MB and the fact it will not post with 2 sticks in the slots the manual says they should be in...but the manual could be wrong, who knows.

CD

They should work in the A1, B1 slots. You either have a bad board or something is wrong with the memory controller on your cpu. I'd suspect the board first.

What is your cpu core...Newcastle/Winchester/Venice?

And I would prefer using 2 sticks(TwinX) cause it would let you run in 1T.

I've no problem with Athlon64 3000+ Venice, A8N SLI Deluxe bios 1012-001, 2xASUS EN6600GT, Corsair TwinX1024-3200XLPRO, Tt 680w ATX 2.01 psu.

What is your cpu core...Newcastle/Winchester/Venice?

And I would prefer using 2 sticks(TwinX) cause it would let you run in 1T.

I've no problem with Athlon64 3000+ Venice, A8N SLI Deluxe bios 1012-001, 2xASUS EN6600GT, Corsair TwinX1024-3200XLPRO, Tt 680w ATX 2.01 psu.

It's a Newcastle core. As I read more I'm starting to think along the same lines of getting 2 1 gig sticks as well, the local TigerDirect store has some dual channel OCZ which I think I'll pick up. The two original corsair sticks were from my prior setup before I upgraded in anycase...was just hoping not to shell out another 100 when I already had a gig but oh well, with this much invested in the dam thing I might as well just do it.

I'm going to tinker around a bit because I still think my MB may have issues....that's what I get for being bleeding edge and having the first rev of the board. I wish there was an easy way to test the slots on the board. I think I'll badger Asus into giving me an RMA as they slots in question have never worked since I put the thing together. My PSU leaves something to be desire too.. I blew my original a while back and got one of those Ultra X-connect PSUs thinking it would clean up the inside of my case...wrong :) Good concept but I've come to the conclusion that it sucks and apparently they do suck...cables are way too stiff and it doesn't have the full 24pin connector to boot. :p

Hi,

As far as I know, only Venice core that supports 2 x 1024 mb to run at 400 mhz.

But I think 2 x 512 mb just fine for me, so I stick with XLPRO. Corsair is trusted brand, I've no doubt using it :):

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe also has no trouble when I installed 2 x 512 mb of Corsair VS, but if I try to install 4 x 256 mb, it would run only@2T. 4 x 512 mb would be worse....maybe I suggest...you upgrade to Venice core then can use 2 x 1024 mb sticks :!:

TwinX1024-3200XLPROv1.2

TwinX1024-3200XLPTv1.2

Hi,

As far as I know, only Venice core that supports 2 x 1024 mb to run at 400 mhz.

But I think 2 x 512 mb just fine for me, so I stick with XLPRO. Corsair is trusted brand, I've no doubt using it :):

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe also has no trouble when I installed 2 x 512 mb of Corsair VS, but if I try to install 4 x 256 mb, it would run only@2T. 4 x 512 mb would be worse....maybe I suggest...you upgrade to Venice core then can use 2 x 1024 mb sticks :!:

TwinX1024-3200XLPROv1.2

TwinX1024-3200XLPTv1.2

Well, I gave up, the A1 and B1 slots are definately not working...so I'll RMA the board. I tood the corsair back and got 2 1024 O-C-Z-s (Common guys, I can't beleive you're filtering out the comps name...I mean really..).. not a 'dual channel' or 'matched' pair but what are those but just verified to be identical? The new sticks run at 400 dual channel so I'm good for now. Would have gotten Corsair if they had had them in stock but TigerDIrect outlett stores leave a bit to be desired! In anycase, I still have the original sticks which I'll put into another machine.

Thanks for the info and help tho, now to go see how BF2 behaves :)

What, exactly, is TWINX?

Long story short they test them in dual channel mode as well.

Well the 2 gigs of the other brand cleared up the lag in BF alright, runs nice now with everything maxed except the resoloution, no more jerky..also loads and quits out a heck of a lot fast. Gets a little slower at 1600X1200 with 4FSAA and everything maxed out but even with SLI I would expect that to not be too suprising :)

Guys,

I have an A8N SLI-Deluxe with AMD 3000+, 1 XFX GT6600, 1 DVD-ROM, 1 DVD-RW, 2 IDE Disks, and 2 x VS512MB400 in 1A and 1B, 350W PSU .

If I try to add 2 more VS512MB400 it won't boot, signaling an error on the memory... In my opinion it should work. Have updated Bios to 1011.

Thnx

• Corsair Employee
You would really need to have at least a 450 Watt PSU with that configuration and I would suggest a 550 Watt if its a generic PSU, not to mention this MB requires an ATX 2.0 compliant PSU.

Archived