Corsair Community

Recommended PSU?

Pocah

I am trying to work out which PSU to get. These days it's difficult because we don't know what the next generation of GPU will consume. 

Right now, I need 1000W, as recommended for a 4090. However, the HX1000i has a HUGE warranty so I am trying to work out what I might need in future!! 

Seems that the HX1200 would be a better buy, but it lacks the i, and is also an older design. 

The HX1500i seems a bit over the top. 

By the way I have decided NOT to wait for ATX 3.0 because of the issues with the GPU power sockets. 

Well, given the fact that we start to hit a limit in terms of cooler size, maybe power draw will also plateau as a consequence..

ATX3.0 has other benefits, there's more than this connector.

the massive transient response capability, and the fact that they can increase the 12V rail to 12.2 to limit voltage drop at the component level are pretty good features too, nice for overclocking and/or high power components. There's also the faster response to load changes (higher slew rate)

higher efficiency at low power too, since lets face it, most of the time our computers do nothing while working or browsing the web, or watching media.

And even if you don't use the 12vhpwr socket, you'll still have the regular connectors if whatever future GPU you get uses the current PCIE connector (which is really not guaranteed at all)

• Corsair Employee
On 10/25/2022 at 10:15 AM, LeDoyen said:

Well, given the fact that we start to hit a limit in terms of cooler size, maybe power draw will also plateau as a consequence..

ATX3.0 has other benefits, there's more than this connector.

the massive transient response capability, and the fact that they can increase the 12V rail to 12.2 to limit voltage drop at the component level are pretty good features too, nice for overclocking and/or high power components. There's also the faster response to load changes (higher slew rate)

higher efficiency at low power too, since lets face it, most of the time our computers do nothing while working or browsing the web, or watching media.

And even if you don't use the 12vhpwr socket, you'll still have the regular connectors if whatever future GPU you get uses the current PCIE connector (which is really not guaranteed at all)

Truth be told, a lot of what's in the ATX 3.0 other than the power connector was in the previous spec.  All of Corsair's Gold and up meet the requirements save the connector.  And even then, the connector isn't required.  You can just include a cable that goes from the PSU to a 12VHPWR connector and Intel will bless you "ATX 3.0".