Corsair Community

Ready to Go Beyond Fast

Corsair CJ

I've seen people mention concerns over adapter cables overloading the power supply, and recommending to buy an ATX 3.0 one instead. And the limited amount of times you can plug/unplug the cable.

Would there be any issue with using the adapter with a 4090 for example?

• Corsair Employee
On 9/23/2022 at 11:31 PM, xtaz said:

So how come the adapter needs 3 seperate 8-pins on the power supply, but the dedicated cable only has 2?

This cable plugs directly into the PSU via our type-4 connector, each of which will push well beyond 300W. This is why only 2 connectors are needed.

The adapters shipped with the GPU's are reliant on PCI-e specifications and must take into account that each of the 8 pin PCI-e connectors might only be able to push 150W.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:31 PM, xtaz said:

So how come the adapter needs 3 seperate 8-pins on the power supply, but the dedicated cable only has 2?

The 3x8-Pin Adapter is rated for the intended 450W. So it needs 3x150W.

But Type4 PCI-E Cables of Corsair are 1x8-Pin to 2x8Pin Cables (daisychain), meaning each 8-Pin Connector on the PSU-Side is rated to provide upto 300W.

Thus the 600W 12VHPWR cables only needs 2x8-Pin on the PSU side.

On that note, I intend to run a 4090FE with the SF750 PSU, since there is no higher SFX PSU from Corsair...yet.

I do have a Powerbudget of 550-600W left for the GPU, so it should work.

• 2 months later...

The question is WHEN you (corsair) be releasing and ATX 3.0 PSU? Personally I don't care of adapters / your better adapter I just want the right PSU , no round the corner solutions just the best conditions for the GPU if I will ever considering buying one. So yeah an estimated date would be really helpful , I know there's already other big brands that have the new PSUs already so why its taking so long for you guys?

• 3 weeks later...