Corsair Community

SFX750 PCIE Type 4 Cable vs Amazon Purchase Corasair Type 4 PCIe Cable

Long Story .. but need support...

I built a SFF ITX gaming machine for my son.  I choose Corsair SFX750 as power supplies.   The Graphic Card that used in the build is Asus Strix 3070Ti, motherboard Asus X570-I.    It requires 3X PCIe connector.

The SFX750 comes with 2 PCIe cable.  Instead of using 1 PCIe to 1 Graphic Card + 1 PCIe to dual Graphic Card.  I thought it would be best to use 3 individual connector from SFX to graphic card.

Purchase this from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Premium-Individually-Sleeved-Connector/dp/B07L684ZL3/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=corsair+type+4+pcie+cable&qid=1662136506&sprefix=corsair+type+%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-4

System was originally stable when first build in May.  But as time goes, in July he start to complain random crash.  In August, it got to bad, that i cant keep fixing, rebooting and hear him complain about  GPU usage random spike... watching youtube... it sometimes has 25%+ GPU usage.  in gaming, GPU usage is high.. I know.. before anyone mention it depend on games setting..   Just watching youtube.. before it crash.. GPU usage would spike to 100% before it crash...  and this is on daily basis.  System would crash.. then reboot the Motherboard Asus X570-I would end up with VGA card not support by UEFI.  System bios would end up automatic enable CMS.   The system would boot normally in the morning.. but few hours later.. the random crashing occurred. 

Finally, when i swap out his Asus Strix 3070Ti to Asus 2080 TI that only use 2 PCiE.  System was stable now.       When i did that, I removed the PCIE Type 4 Cable that i purchase from Amazon. 

Took a close look at it.  I notice the Type 4 PCIE cable from SFX750 is different than the Amazon purchase Type 4 PCIE cable.  At the part that connect to the SFX750.  Please take a look a the picture.   The SFX750 PCIe cable has different missing cable vs Amazon Type 4.

After looking and comparing cable.   Change back to Asus 3070TI on his machine... using only PCIe cable supplied by SFX750.  1 cable to 1 graphic card connector.  and another 1 cable to 2 graphic card connector.  

System has been super stable since...  No more random crash.. no more high GPU usage watching Youtube only.   and didnt receive anymore Crash and reboot with VGA Not support by UEFI.

Question: Why both Type 4 PCIe power supplied side would be missing 1 cable from diff pin?   What  is the missing pin difference?    obviously, system random crash.. UEFI not supported, high GUP usage now disappeared..     So that cable is pin point to the problem.

SFX750.jpg

Aamzon.jpg

• Corsair Employee

Using three separate PCIe cables with a 3070 Ti?  Seems a bit extreme, doesn't it?

and those pinouts are okay. the row on the latch side is all grounds, and the one with a pin missing is all 12V. It doesn't matter where in the row the pin is not populated, it's all the same voltage rail.

If the build was fine in may and started crashing as the year got... hotter.. could that be a clue?

The cable is extremely unlikely to cause any issues at all. a power supply cable also does not cause 25% load on the GPU. I hope you didn't get one of those GPU mining malwares..