Corsair Community

Commander pro issues

Hello. Searched high and low for a solution but couldn't find one. 

Recently purchased a commander Pro was running fine for a month or so now I have a issue with 2 fans in my system that after a certain amount of time just get limited to 300 rpm. No matter what profile I create or use they stay always at 300rpm. Aio has an additional 6 fans daisy chained and never experiences this issue. Ive found a sort of solution by swaping the ports on the Pro back and forth and that works for a few days then goes back to the same issue. 

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

First, don’t use the presets on the Commander Pro. It’s going to be erratic as it uses CPU temp as the control variable but with a temp range for water cooling. Most users are pinned at 1400 rpm at idle. Use the custom curve option and then any variable except cpu temp. It has no bearing on the case ambient temperature and is too dynamic for steady airflow control. 

The best possible choice is to use one of the 10K thermistor temp probes from the Commander Pro package. Sticking the sensor end in the rear exhaust flow (inside or outside the case) is an excellent measure of internal case temp and waste heat. I used to slide the thin wire out the back and behind the rear grill so I wouldn’t have to look at it. You can stick one in the front as well for an intake vs exhaust comparison, but the exhaust is the control variable in the fan curve. The tricky bit is you have to learn the normal range of operation. It will have a low of just over ambient and then increase to… a user/case specific value. Gpu waste heat has the largest effect on it which is good. 

If that’s a bit much to tackle now, create a custom curve and use gpu temp or motherboard temp as the sensor choice. Most people have a pretty good idea of the normal range on that and this ca be done instantly. 

As for the 300 rpm fan, what fan is it?  It looks like a Fractal Designs case fan.  Is it PWM or 3 pin DC. I suspect it might be on a splitter and it would make sense to test without it. Some splitters, especially 3 way versions do stuff like this on the Commander. However, before any of that put it on a custom curve. That will also reveal the fixed rpm and PWM% options. See if it responds to specific commands vs the hidden preset values. 

24 minutes ago, c-attack said:

First, don’t use the presets on the Commander Pro. It’s going to be erratic as it uses CPU temp as the control variable but with a temp range for water cooling. Most users are pinned at 1400 rpm at idle. Use the custom curve option and then any variable except cpu temp. It has no bearing on the case ambient temperature and is too dynamic for steady airflow control. 

The best possible choice is to use one of the 10K thermistor temp probes from the Commander Pro package. Sticking the sensor end in the rear exhaust flow (inside or outside the case) is an excellent measure of internal case temp and waste heat. I used to slide the thin wire out the back and behind the rear grill so I wouldn’t have to look at it. You can stick one in the front as well for an intake vs exhaust comparison, but the exhaust is the control variable in the fan curve. The tricky bit is you have to learn the normal range of operation. It will have a low of just over ambient and then increase to… a user/case specific value. Gpu waste heat has the largest effect on it which is good. 

If that’s a bit much to tackle now, create a custom curve and use gpu temp or motherboard temp as the sensor choice. Most people have a pretty good idea of the normal range on that and this ca be done instantly. 

As for the 300 rpm fan, what fan is it?  It looks like a Fractal Designs case fan.  Is it PWM or 3 pin DC. I suspect it might be on a splitter and it would make sense to test without it. Some splitters, especially 3 way versions do stuff like this on the Commander. However, before any of that put it on a custom curve. That will also reveal the fixed rpm and PWM% options. See if it responds to specific commands vs the hidden preset values. 

Thanks for replying.

Its not on a splitter. just plugged straight in to the commander pro. no matter what profile i select or creat with custom RPM it still stay at 300. as show in the picture below. Ususally its both fans but ive swapped which header one of them is plugged into just to show that the fans are capeable of running at a higher RPM. Temp prob is a good idea i just havent felt the need to adjust the profiles as ususally the CPU is extremely cool but depending on what im doing ill change the profile.

52128948118_933f121571_o[1].png

Edited by Starfox2333

It reads like a PWM incompatibility, which is why I was asking about the fan model.  The fact that either of those two bottom fans run anything less than 1300-1500 on the presets suggest they are not following commands.  

the 180mm found in the Torrent apparently, 300-1200 RPM

make sure the copro's outputs are set to 4 pin PWM, just to be on the safe side in case the autodetect wasn't working properly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LeDoyen said:

the 180mm found in the Torrent apparently, 300-1200 RPM

make sure the copro's outputs are set to 4 pin PWM, just to be on the safe side in case the autodetect wasn't working properly.

that was the fix. instantly went to correct RPM

Thank you so much!

Edited by Starfox2333

let's hope it doesn't come back after a few days then lol

time will tell 🙂