Corsair Community

iCue Exit on Close?

Is there a way to have iCue actually completely close when clicking the close button for the window? Currently for me, the close button and minimize button just minimize to the system tray, but I would like for the close button to actually close the application completely. I can't find a setting for this. I am only using this software on my laptop to change settings on a mouse. I need it to close when I click the close button, because iCue uses a good amount of CPU which increases temperatures when gaming. Yes, I can just close it from the tray, but sometimes I forget to do so and also should not have to do this.

Considering the software's purpose and how it works, it doesn't make sense for it terminate operations when you close or minimize the app window.  As you noted, clicking on the CUE icon in system tray provides the option to "Quit".  However, if you are only using a mouse it would make more sense to set it not to run on start-up.  That option is available in the CUE settings.  

43 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Considering the software's purpose and how it works, it doesn't make sense for it terminate operations when you close or minimize the app window.  As you noted, clicking on the CUE icon in system tray provides the option to "Quit".  However, if you are only using a mouse it would make more sense to set it not to run on start-up.  That option is available in the CUE settings.  

That's cool, but not what I asked for.

That extra right click on task bar taking it's toll?  You've had a fair amount of Corsair gear and know why the app needs to run and the difference between the software and non-software states.  Setting an app to terminate when clicking the close window button can do nothing but cause grief for the overwhelming majority of users who need the software to be active.  You have clear solution to avoid needing to close the app at all and the worst case scenario is you have to right click on the task bar before executing your one left click to exit the program.  It's difficult to see any merit in the request.  

I think the option like this must be. Let user decide need he it or not. And by the way, when software, called to, including, reduce some excess pressings, force you to make they - something wrong in this, isn't?

On 5/22/2022 at 3:48 PM, c-attack said:

That extra right click on task bar taking it's toll?  You've had a fair amount of Corsair gear and know why the app needs to run and the difference between the software and non-software states.  Setting an app to terminate when clicking the close window button can do nothing but cause grief for the overwhelming majority of users who need the software to be active.  You have clear solution to avoid needing to close the app at all and the worst case scenario is you have to right click on the task bar before executing your one left click to exit the program.  It's difficult to see any merit in the request.  

It isn't a difficult workaround, but if I forget my CPU is running 5-10 degrees hotter because of iCue. The issue is forgetting to close it from the taskbar, not that it is difficult.

• Corsair Employee

As c-attack pointed out the iCUE software is an integral part of our ecosystem which requires iCUE to be running in order for our devices to operate to their fullest extent. As such the X button is working as intended when it minimizes the software to the Taskbar Notification area, closing the active window, but still allowing the iCUE software to continue to run and function. While the minimize button is intended to only minimize the active iCUE window to the taskbar as you can see in the screenshot below. With the window minimized as below it is still utilizing GPU hardware resources to render the window, while utilizing the X button to close it to the notification area an no longer requires GPU resources to be rendering the window.

Minimized to Windows Taskbar"

image.png.44c8f9665ad2875fd2340315d4fabbd0.png

image.png.aa2af6813cc52fd13c9bba2e5950441c.png

Closed to notification area:

image.png.227cec5241792013c2f7e4f109cd66ec.png

7 hours ago, Corsair Notepad said:

As c-attack pointed out the iCUE software is an integral part of our ecosystem which requires iCUE to be running in order for our devices to operate to their fullest extent. As such the X button is working as intended when it minimizes the software to the Taskbar Notification area, closing the active window, but still allowing the iCUE software to continue to run and function. While the minimize button is intended to only minimize the active iCUE window to the taskbar as you can see in the screenshot below. With the window minimized as below it is still utilizing GPU hardware resources to render the window, while utilizing the X button to close it to the notification area an no longer requires GPU resources to be rendering the window.

Minimized to Windows Taskbar"

image.png.44c8f9665ad2875fd2340315d4fabbd0.png

image.png.aa2af6813cc52fd13c9bba2e5950441c.png

Closed to notification area:

image.png.227cec5241792013c2f7e4f109cd66ec.png

So, you have no intention of even considering this option. That's cool, also one of the many reasons that I am backing away from your products.

• Like 1

Since you are only using a mouse and don’t want the software to run in the background, set the app not run on start up. That option is available in the CUE settings as well as the OS. Then it’s only necessary to launch CUE to change specific saved mouse settings. How often do you do that?  As for remembering to exit the program after you’ve made changes, that’s your prerogative as well as your responsibility.  

On 6/1/2022 at 3:13 AM, c-attack said:

Since you are only using a mouse and don’t want the software to run in the background, set the app not run on start up. That option is available in the CUE settings as well as the OS. Then it’s only necessary to launch CUE to change specific saved mouse settings. How often do you do that?  As for remembering to exit the program after you’ve made changes, that’s your prerogative as well as your responsibility.  

Sure. I think I gained everything that I need to with this conversation and the other many conversations that I have started on this forum and never received replies to. Unfortunately, over the past couple of years my support for Corsair products has decreased significantly, all related to iCue and these forums. Hopefully, they can some day listen to the feedback and make some positive changes, but I know "it's your fault" and "not theirs"...