Corsair Community

iCUE shows Z690 Hero, but does not control lighting

Hi,

I have armoury crate and icue installed on a new build. I cannot get iCUE to conrol my Hero. The picture of the Hero shows up, but under lighting effects all it shows control for is the RGB HEADER, something I'm not using. I have my H170 elite capellix hooked up to a usb header through the commander core it came with and 4 140mm SP case fans hooked up through the commander core xt that came with my 7000x case. I can control the MB RGB panel through the "polymo lighting" tab on the devices tab. When I go to Aura>sync devices it has memory checked under the sync and I've noticed it is linked to whatever I choose for my MB lighting.

It's kind of maddening, I bought all this iCUE stuff to work with ASUS, but it's just giving me anxiety. When I start my system up my H170 , keyboard, mounse and gigabyte gaming OC 3060 ti are all on the same kind of colors spinning in a circle pattern, my RAM and MB are in the pattern i chose in aura, and my 4 case fans are a solid light blue color. So three different things going on. It's a mess. When I close armoury crate and open Icue i can get the case fans, the H170i and my mouse and keyboard to sync but the GPU still  in the rainbow pattern and the RAM and MB are still in the same pattern chose in Aura.

Can somebody please fix this mess? I'm regretting not buying an ASUS AIO at this point, but think I'll just move to a custom loop to get away from iCUE and get all this to sync up.

Thank you for anything you can do in advance.

Ok so as an update I got everything showing up in iCue (except MB and RAM) to sync up by clicking off of scenes and going under each device and under their respective "device" tab clicking them all on to the same pattern. So now basically it's MB and RAM on one agenda and everything else on another.

The scenes are a master override of any existing lighting settings only. They are useful for when you want to change simple global lighting without changing the underlying CUE profile. However, most users may prefer duplicating their existing profiles to copy all other settings, then changing the lighting for the new profile. That will allow far more control and customization. 

Other Z690 owners have mentioned issues with Asus sync lately, so I am not surprised about the motherboard. However, lack of RAM control suggests Armory Crate is overreaching. CUE should have the RAM. Open AC and make sure you have not engaged the setting to control other devices. I am not using it, but perhaps someone else can pin down the exact location. After fixing that, you likely will need to reboot to restart all relevant services and untangle them. 

The CUE permission is in the settings. You can turn off plugins while you sort this. That may help in getting AC to let go. 

On 4/9/2022 at 5:09 AM, c-attack said:

The scenes are a master override of any existing lighting settings only. They are useful for when you want to change simple global lighting without changing the underlying CUE profile. However, most users may prefer duplicating their existing profiles to copy all other settings, then changing the lighting for the new profile. That will allow far more control and customization. 

Other Z690 owners have mentioned issues with Asus sync lately, so I am not surprised about the motherboard. However, lack of RAM control suggests Armory Crate is overreaching. CUE should have the RAM. Open AC and make sure you have not engaged the setting to control other devices. I am not using it, but perhaps someone else can pin down the exact location. After fixing that, you likely will need to reboot to restart all relevant services and untangle them. 

The CUE permission is in the settings. You can turn off plugins while you sort this. That may help in getting AC to let go. 

Thanks for the response c-attack. Ya, I just use scenes for quick changes, I have everything set-up individually in temp mode just because they have that in both Aura and iCUE so it keeps things relatively close.

I haven’t heard of anybody getting G.Skill to show up in iCUE, so that part really doesn’t surprise me. This whole lack of standardization in the RGB world is really just a significant annoyance to customers and stinks of greed. Like I get it when you have proprietary technology you don’t want to give it up. But every major computer component manufacturer has their own RGB software, and none of them carry ALL the products you want. I mean come on? How about we come up with universal connectors and software compatibility standards to allow us to buy the products we want? They should be trapping customers with product quality/price points not compatibility barriers. This is why I don’t have an Apple desktop. Okay, rant completed 🙂

I have looked up and down Aura, and forums trying to find a setting to turn off Aura’s “reach” and even tried uninstalling it, but apparently iCUE 4 needs Aura to even find the motherboard. The plug-in just doesn’t work correctly. I’ve tried to reach Corsair about this very issue, but they are only open during my work hours till 5 weekdays only and the hold times are ridiculous at lunch.

Even in Aura the RAM only shows up in the sync section so there is no way to address the RAM individually only as a whole with the motherboard.

Whoever designs software to control all this stuff work together is going to make a lot of money. I mean I’d pay $20 to make all my lights work in unison, ha.

What do you mean iCUE permissions and how do I turn the plug-in off if you don’t mind me asking? I’ll try anything at this point. Thank you!

I must have misunderstood and thought you had Corsair RAM. You need Aura for that (or Gskill’s basic program). You will not be able to address it in CUE. The Asus plugin allows CUE to talk with Armory Crate and is supplied by Asus, but AC has to be present and running or there is nothing for the plugin to link back with. 

Since you have Gskill RAM you likely will need to use both programs to control everything. In the CUE general settings pop up from the main page, there is a plugins section. Clicking the switch off will break the link and you can then use AC to control MB + RAM. What are you using to control the GPU?  If AC as well, at that puts the central core all on the same control. That means you only need to worry about getting the pump led in something to match and then can do what you want with the fans. 

Pre-OS or anytime CUE is not running your Corsair gear will be in “hardware lighting mode”. This is a more basic set of lighting options saved to device memory and set in the tab of the same name. You can set different patterns for the hardware vs software mode or turn specific devices “off” by setting a static black lighting element. Sometimes that is easier than trying to match every single element in hardware mode. 

I had Corsair Dominator 5600 RGB RAM until channel B on my second Hero board tanked (the first was recalled three days after I ordered it back in December). When I called ASUS they said my RAM was not on the compatibility list, and so they wouldn't even attempt to troubleshoot it even though I told them it was working fine for weeks, and clearly wasn't the issue. So, luckily Microcenter let me return it and luckily DDR5 had production had finally just caught up, so I ordered G.Skill 6000 off the list. It was either that or 4800 Dominator sticks for more money. Anyway, somehow it shows up in Armoury Crate, but as expected iCUE won't see it. ASUS then sent me another recalled Hero on accident that I caught by seeing the inverted capacitor when I was installing it. So, ha now I'm on my fourth HERO. They had excellent customer service through it all though and have extended out my warranty for an extra year for all the hassle.

I found the switch you referred to so thanks for that. However, the strange part is that Armoury Crate already controls the MB and RAM, iCUE does not. It only shows the RGB Header. I just emailed them about this yesterday. I've attached a photo of how it looks. So, I don't know really what flipping the switch would gain me, but ya I can control them somewhat seperately.

As far as my GPU goes, all I could find so far was Gigabyte Aorus Engine. It's really poor as far as control goes, but I just ordered a EVGA FTW3 3080 Ti now that prices have come down. I'm going to be in the same boat I'm sure, but I wanted either that or the ASUS Strix and this was a few hundred cheaper to have a slight performance gain and (supposed) control of my GPU RGB through iCUE which I've lost confidence in now with my motherboard issues from the same supposedly supported brand.

Finally, yea I figured out the hardware lighting and lined all those up into a scheme too. Unfortunately, the problem parts don't have that option. But oh well. Thanks for all your suggestions. I guess I'm going to have to wait for a plugin that works. Plug-in Version 1.2.4.0 is not that 😉

HERO ICUE.jpg

• Corsair Employee

In the Armoury Crate software click on the Settings cogwheel and then go to the Update Center. Make sure that the Armoury Crate and all necessary modules for the software and motherboard are fully updated there.  As for GPU RGB control we only support Asus GPUs so no other manufacturer's GPU will show up in the iCUE software.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 8:25 AM, Corsair Notepad said:

In the Armoury Crate software click on the Settings cogwheel and then go to the Update Center. Make sure that the Armoury Crate and all necessary modules for the software and motherboard are fully updated there.  As for GPU RGB control we only support Asus GPUs so no other manufacturer's GPU will show up in the iCUE software.

It's all fully updated. the Z690 Hero plugin just doesn't work. I've checked everything as far as firmware updates, software updates several times in both Aura and iCUE,  uninstalled, reinstalled everything multiple times. I've even done a clean install. It just will not show the options to control the Z690 Hero in iCUE. It does have a pretty icon as you can see in the photo I've uploaded but the only option is to control the RGB header that I don't use. So, it might as well not be there at all.

I knew it wouldn't control the GPU and accepted that since the only GPU with RGB that ASUS makes is $300 more than the closest option with very similar capabilities. So, at this point I'm going to slowly migrate over to Razer Chroma as it works with a few manufacturers. I mean I love the Corsair stuff and controllers, but it only works with Corsair and ASUS and with the manufacturing shortages it just really makes iCUE a very expensive, limited choice.

I mean I had to return the Dominator DDR5 RAM I could barely get my hands on because it wasn't on the product list for ASUS. Only the stock 4800 MHz RAM was on the list, which I did not want and was not available even if I did. So, ASUS wouldn't even troubleshoot the motherboard I had. My point here is if you're going to limit the compatibility of your product to one manufacturer, I don't think it's too much to ask to at least have that manufacturer's products be compatible with iCUE.

I asked the same question earlier this year.   The Asus Z690 Maximus Hero simply does not appear to be supported currently with the integration with the ASUS plugin.  It knows there is an ASUS motherboard there but doesn't detect it correctly.  There is nothing you can really do other than use Armory Crate to control the motherboard RGB.

Edited by mpoffo