Corsair Community

Should I upgraded to 4GB?

dhc0329

I currently have 2GB XMS in dual channel mode (P4 3.2E, INtel MB 845PBZ)

and would like to upgrade. Windows XP SP2.

I am now thinking about making it 4GB with 4 sticks of value Select Ram

or 3GB of XMS RAM (2x1024 and 2x512).

Which woukd you recommend? Some said Windows XP wouldn't use all 4GB so it's completely waste but some do they say 4GB will improve the perfromance.

My 2nd option is to make it with 3GB XMS RAM (2x1024 and 2x512).

I run a lot of graphic and video files so I need RAM.

Thanjs and please help.

Dan

I would suggest you stay with what you have now. The Intel I845 chipset may not support more than 2 double sided modules and you would for sure loose some performance.

I am sorry my motherboard is D875PBZ so 875P chipset....made a typo.

I do not clearly understand as to why the system performance would degrade

with more than 2GB of RAM?

Please watch the Memory Basics Presentation. But in a nut shell there is more loading on the memory controller and system as you add more memory. Not to mention, if you are using WinXP any Application will not have access to more than 2.0 Gig of memory.

I am not running just a single program but multi-tasking...(doing so many things at the same times) so this doesn't help either?

Thanks so much for your help!

Dan

No that will not matter, its 2.0 Gig max for applications..

Thanks! Now I have to returned all the DIMMS I bought. I learned the lesson by hard way but it was worth it.

Thanks so much for your help!

Dan

• Corsair Employee

Dan,

I think you misunderstand what I have said or I was not clear.

You don’t need to return them, just there are some limitations that you will need to be aware of so you get what’s expected or your expectations are not more than what possible.

Dan,

I think you misunderstand what I have said or I was not clear.

You don’t need to return them, just there are some limitations that you will need to be aware of so you get what’s expected or your expectations are not more than what possible.

Now this is confusing..I already had 2GB, so returning the extra 2GB I just bought. may I ask what you are saying?

• Corsair Employee

Did you watch the memory basics presentation? If not please watch it as that will help give you a better understanding of the limitations.

In a nut shell there is more loading on the memory controller as you add more memory or max the system out not to mention with 4 modules your system would need to be able to provide 48 Watts just for memory. And in order to make the system stable you may need to relax the settings or in this case you may have to run at DDR333.

Did you watch the memory basics presentation? If not please watch it as that will help give you a better understanding of the limitations.

In a nut shell there is more loading on the memory controller as you add more memory or max the system out not to mention with 4 modules your system would need to be able to provide 48 Watts just for memory. And in order to make the system stable you may need to relax the settings or in this case you may have to run at DDR333.

This makes completely sense now as to why 2GB RAM is optimal for my WinXP machine.

Thanks.

Dan

Archived