Corsair Community

K100 Volume Scroll Wheel no longer working

So I've had my K100 since December 2020 and a couple days ago the volume scroll wheel stopped working.

Has anyone else had this problem occur yet?

This is surprising that a premium $230 keyboard would have such a low durability weak point.

I could open it to see if I could fix it but will probably just request a RMA as it's still under warranty.

Thanks,

Howie

That is the first report of it I have seen on the K100.  This was an old issue on K95 Platinum KBs (not XT), but not a current one.  Did it physically fail? Stuck?  Or do software programs no longer respond?   I would start a ticket with Corsair regardless of your intent so at least the issue gets logged.  

• Corsair Employee

Hi howiec,

Do you notice any signs of it physically broken? As in do you hear any sounds or the feel of it being different to when you first bought it while it was working? Try plugging the keyboard into another computer or laptop and see if it still works. If it doesn't, open a ticket with our support page and our team will gladly assist you with an RMA if it's still under warranty.

8 hours ago, c-attack said:

That is the first report of it I have seen on the K100.  This was an old issue on K95 Platinum KBs (not XT), but not a current one.  Did it physically fail? Stuck?  Or do software programs no longer respond?   I would start a ticket with Corsair regardless of your intent so at least the issue gets logged.  

Hi,  the scroll wheel feels fine but it certainly feels like the connection is intermittent (electrical/physical intermitten contact).   I just tried it now and it seems to work sporadically so it doesn't seem to be a software issue either.

I googled for this issue and found that some people simply blew into the gaps around the scroll wheel. It didn't work for me but I'll see if I can get a compress air can.

Yeah, if I can't resolve it, I'll submit a ticket.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Corsair Haurjie said:

Hi howiec,

Do you notice any signs of it physically broken? As in do you hear any sounds or the feel of it being different to when you first bought it while it was working? Try plugging the keyboard into another computer or laptop and see if it still works. If it doesn't, open a ticket with our support page and our team will gladly assist you with an RMA if it's still under warranty.

Hi Haurjie,

The scroll wheel feels exactly the same as when it was new and I don't hear any sound when scrolling either.

The same issue occurs when plugged into my laptop.   As I mentioned above, I'm going to try using compress air to blow into the surrounding gap.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 8/2/2021 at 11:53 AM, howiec said:

So I've had my K100 since December 2020 and a couple days ago the volume scroll wheel stopped working.

Has anyone else had this problem occur yet?

This is surprising that a premium $230 keyboard would have such a low durability weak point.

I could open it to see if I could fix it but will probably just request a RMA as it's still under warranty.

Thanks,

Howie

I also have this same exact problem. I got my K100 in February or March of this year. And just noticed today that the volume scroll wheel (or roller) is not working. Tried on different PC and still doesn't work. Have you found a fix for this problem?

• 8 months later...

Same problem here with my K100.  It's been working fine for about a year, now all of a sudden the volume wheel doesn't work.  The other media controls still work though.

I tried unplugging it, resetting it, updating the firmware and the iCue software, but it still doesn't work.  I also tried blowing compressed air into the wheel to see if that would help, but no change.

Any suggestions?  It's kind of disappointing when a $200+ keyboard starts to fail in only a year.

I use the volume wheel often, so I had to switch out keyboards for the time being.

Thanks in advance.

• 5 months later...

bought k100 on 2 May 2022. now on september wheel broken.if i turn clockwise he respond into bought directions.smae if turn backwards.i was used always for vlc to control sound.and sometimes for google scroll up down ...now stoped use bcs its broken...so expensive keyboard and parts so weak....i know that next keyboard i will buy it Wil be not corsair. -another story is ironclaw mouse.how to cleen it where is rubber part have no idea.and for ~1year of using key was broken.so i put from  no name mouse that key and still using...mouse was bought trough corsair site.and keyboard from amazon.

• 2 months later...

Same problem here, my k100 has broken volume wheel. i tried to route volume to the iCue control wheel. still it doesnt work. sad thing i lost my receipt... didnt think this would happen cause most of my hardware do not have problems. just adding to make public aware.. though i still love the keyboard. but kinda sad that volume wheel which is very much  of use to me is the one  not working.

• 1 month later...

My volume wheel stopped working too, on my K95 RGB Platinum.  Same with the mute, but I just put a media macro on that.

If I put Vol + - media macroes on the volume wheel, nothing happens.  Bome's MTP is detecting that the wheel is sending a signal.  If I tell MTP to output volume - + on the wheel, nothing happens.

So back to iCue and I put up/down arrows on the volume wheel instead and it works.  I can use the volume wheel to scroll up and down this page.  So something is going on with the Windows 10 media playback function.  I hit Alt + Tab when the Windows media pop up window was active, and it made the volume on it go haywire.  I had to mute it to stop.  Doing this stuff has made iCue really laggy and my mouse cursor is stuck on select and drag while in iCue.  It was even messing with my graphics card not drawing the taskbar properly.  To the point I had to check my temps, but they are ok.

If I go into Winamp and 'enable multimedia support', then the volume wheel moves Winamp's volume up and down.  But the mute button with nothing on it still mutes Windows.  Winamp doesn't have a mute shortcut because reasons.  But I will keep the volume on Winamp; I like it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought k100 copple of months ago, first the volume wheel was fine.

now it is working intermittent and when i use it it makes volumen go to max volumen. it goes randomly up and down in volumen when i try turning the volumen down or up. ending at max volumen after i scroll down for 10-20% less volumen. it works if i scroll only 2-3% down more then that it goes max volumen. or else it randomly changes volumen.

so its useless.

On 6/21/2023 at 7:49 PM, Renep said:

Bought k100 copple of months ago, first the volume wheel was fine.

now it is working intermittent and when i use it it makes volumen go to max volumen. it goes randomly up and down in volumen when i try turning the volumen down or up. ending at max volumen after i scroll down for 10-20% less volumen. it works if i scroll only 2-3% down more then that it goes max volumen. or else it randomly changes volumen.

so its useless.

I had a similar problem an had to uninstall icue5 completely and installed icue4. Did a keyboard reset an it seems tor work for now

another fix might be:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/volume-control-not-working-in-windows-10-8-7-try-these-fixes/#F2

• 1 month later...

Adding my name.

I'm not sure what kind of mechanism is in use here. It does seem that if I force compressed air through it, it improves for a little while, but before long it's back to jumping around.

When it jumps around, if I try to use it to turn the volume up, the volume might go up, or it might go up then drop back down, then or it might actually go down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Sounds like there gunk, dirt, dust w/e inside the wheel mechanism as this sounds a whole lots like a dirty encoder problem mouse scroll wheel often have. Have any of you tried cleaning it with alcohol or some other fast drying contact cleaner?

When the PC is off and keyboard powered down try spinning the wheel really, really fast for a a min in each direction see if it get any gunk to unstick from the inside contacts then power on the PC and try it again.

Edited by Fillmore Graves

If i had this keyboard and issue I would seriously try to find some way to get some contact cleaner in the wheel and spin it around quickly and do so several time, give it 5mins or so to dry out properly and test it as I am fairly certain these use some kind of encoder that is simply getting dirty. Just make sure the keyboard is unplgeed when doing this obviously.