Corsair Community

I got a hx850 plus plat fully modular psu and its having problems need help

So like the title says I need help with the psu, everytime I click the power button it flashes on, like it turns on for a second then turns off, the cpu cooler, fans and things like that turn on for a second then off, it turns on completely when I hold it for a bit, is there a way to fix it to where it just turns on when I press the button, and is this harmful for my system?

• Corsair Employee

That's not the PSU if we're talking about you pushing the button on the front of the case.  The two pins on the power button go to the motherboard and then the motherboard tells the PSU to turn on.  For some reason, the motherboard is not holding onto that power on signal.  Maybe try updating your BIOS?  Could be a known issue with whatever motherboard you're using.

What kind of motherboard do you have?

Just now, WindsFPS said:

I have an asrock b450m-hdv 4.0

Hmmm. OK. Blows that hypothesis. I've seen similar behavior on some Gigabyte boards with a backup BIOS. They'll do this when the (current) primary BIOS fails to POST ... it'll auto-switch to the backup BIOS and act very much the same. 

Disappointing that it didn't pan out. 😞

7 hours ago, jonnyguru said:

That's not the PSU if we're talking about you pushing the button on the front of the case.  The two pins on the power button go to the motherboard and then the motherboard tells the PSU to turn on.  For some reason, the motherboard is not holding onto that power on signal.  Maybe try updating your BIOS?  Could be a known issue with whatever motherboard you're using.

It works with my old Psu fine so I figured it was the psu, ill try updating the bios thanks for the help

3 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

Hmmm. OK. Blows that hypothesis. I've seen similar behavior on some Gigabyte boards with a backup BIOS. They'll do this when the (current) primary BIOS fails to POST ... it'll auto-switch to the backup BIOS and act very much the same. 

Disappointing that it didn't pan out. 😞

Dang, thanks for trying tho I appreciate it

• Corsair Employee

Does it only do it on a cold boot?  In other words, if you shut down from within Windows, don't turn off the PSU from the switch on the back, and then turn it back on with the case power button, does it still do this?