Corsair Community

Fan advice for Nemesis GTR 420s

Buff52

I'm planning a build utilizing the Nemesis GTR 420, on top and in front on the 7000D Airflow case, so far my leading candidates are the,

iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE Performance

&

HD140 RGB LED High Performance 140mm PWM fans, however my main focus is high end gaming and flight simulators but with a bit of flare. The HDs speak for themselves as the highest static pressure fans available, however I'm not really digging the push button thing and it has 12 LEDs which is great, also SPs are very close behind in static pressure and performance but still have the 8 LEDs which for me would be plenty. I'd be interested in hearing form those more knowledgeable than I on which would benefit me the most overall given my PC focus, I'm thinking that the lower static pressure with the 55mm GTRs may work better overall, thanks and love the forums here and glad to be apart of it all.

Edited by Buff52

and see what you're able to get. HD series fans are harder and harder to find (EOL i believe).

the HD also spins a bit faster, that explains the higher numbers, but comparing at the same speeds they are most likely very similar.

• Confused 1

I am not sure you want either of those fans for a HW Labs GTR radiator. That’s some substantial airflow restriction by design. I routinely tell people in this forum not to go chasing performance at extreme speeds on standard medium FPI and medium thickness radiators. The GTR is neither of those and will need to see 1500 rpm just to pull even with thinner or less dense radiators. It was made to be used with extreme high speed fans above 2000 rpm. The HD and SP-Elite are not that type of fan. Something like an ML140 high speed (2000 rpm) would be the minimum.

I don’t have a problem with leaving the best possible results on the table by not running max speeds and most people wisely will choose a comfortable noise volume. However, also be aware that radiators like the GTR usually score poorly at low fan speeds, like what we would consider a normal idle speed. Finding a 420 GTR review might be difficult, but see if you can find any 360/480/560 GTR review and compare it to its GT siblings at the fan speeds you are willing to tolerate. The low airflow at light fan speeds can become a compound problem if that radiator is the only intake pathway.

I am not sure you want either of those fans for a HW Labs GTR radiator. That’s some substantial airflow restriction by design. I routinely tell people in this forum not to go chasing performance at extreme speeds on standard medium FPI and medium thickness radiators. The GTR is neither of those and will need to see 1500 rpm just to pull even with thinner or less dense radiators. It was made to be used with extreme high speed fans above 2000 rpm. The HD and SP-Elite are not that type of fan. Something like an ML140 high speed (2000 rpm) would be the minimum.

I don’t have a problem with leaving the best possible results on the table by not running max speeds and most people wisely will choose a comfortable noise volume. However, also be aware that radiators like the GTR usually score poorly at low fan speeds, like what we would consider a normal idle speed. Finding a 420 GTR review might be difficult, but see if you can find any 360/480/560 GTR review and compare it to its GT siblings at the fan speeds you are willing to tolerate. The low airflow at light fan speeds can become a compound problem if that radiator is the only intake pathway.

Hi and thank you for your thoughts here, I may have to rethink things as it's been too long since my last foray into water cooling. I was always a fan of the high speed fans and moderate thickness rads but after reading on these GTR rads, the new static pressure fans I figured were built for such rads. Now I'm finding myself returning to wanting the ML140 replacement Capellix fans (2400rpm), if they EVER get restocked as I can't wrap my head around anything lower than 2000rpm and achieve efficient cooling. I run 2200rpm bquiet fans at full speed on my elderly H105 cooler and it's all good, the noise isn't even a thing here, I'm just too used to it and besides I use a headset anyway. IMHO complaints on fan noise are overblown, my desire is for performance and best cooling possible, noise be damned. Rep to you sir. Edited by Buff52

The new “ML-Elite” 140mm fan (8 LED) that comes with the Capellix AIO series is a better choice. Unfortunately I think a lot of people have the same idea and it is perpetually out of stock. There also is 4 LED version that was the replacement part for the Platinum H115i before this. Both are capable of 2000 rpm and other than LED count have the same blade structure as the ML Pro Black non-RGB and the grey “twin pack” version.

I don’t understand why we don’t have a retail version of ML-Elite RGB. There are constant inquiries about availability and the high speed RGB market space is quite open. I can think of only one other fan that fits in this class.

The new “ML-Elite” 140mm fan (8 LED) that comes with the Capellix AIO series is a better choice. Unfortunately I think a lot of people have the same idea and it is perpetually out of stock. There also is 4 LED version that was the replacement part for the Platinum H115i before this. Both are capable of 2000 rpm and other than LED count have the same blade structure as the ML Pro Black non-RGB and the grey “twin pack” version.

I don’t understand why we don’t have a retail version of ML-Elite RGB. There are constant inquiries about availability and the high speed RGB market space is quite open. I can think of only one other fan that fits in this class.

Thanks c, I couldn't agree more. Those 4-LED MLs are actually available, how long who knows. There's probably no retail Elite available because they want you to buy 3 fans for near $200 :rolleyes: Edited by Buff52

I run 2200rpm bquiet fans at full speed on my elderly H105 cooler and it's all good, the noise isn't even a thing here, I'm just too used to it and besides I use a headset anyway. IMHO complaints on fan noise are overblown, my desire is for performance and best cooling possible, noise be damned. Rep to you sir.

.. and you may realize after a bit of testing that you won't need such high speeds on custom loop, with a case that has good airflow :)

I SAID YOU MAY REALIZE ... :D:

.. and you may realize after a bit of testing that you won't need such high speeds on custom loop, with a case that has good airflow :)

I SAID YOU MAY REALIZE ... :D:

point taken :winking: