Corsair Community

Corsair Virtuoso SE - Disappearing When Turned Off

Apologies if this has been answered previously however I'm unable to locate a post specific to this issue.

I've previously used wireless Logitech headphones and when these are turned off, the device continues to appear as a sound device in Windows. After recently switching to the Virtuoso headphones, my biggest annoyance is these disappear as a sound device when the headphones are turned off (I'm using the USB dongle). When they are turned back on, they appear once again however they do not appear as a disabled device or anything like that.

Is there any way to force these to continue appearing as a device so that they can be set as a permanent default device? It's a pain otherwise as my audio routes to other devices like my Oculus and it just becomes a pain to deal with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Elito, appreciate the response.

I’ve got it plugged directly into a USB port on the motherboard although I’m unsure if this is non-standard behaviour. As mentioned, as soon as I turn off the wireless headphones, they disappear as a sound device in Windows.

I’m using iCUE 4 and once they are turned on again, they will appear as a device or reinstall the drivers if needed. It’s more a pet peeve then anything as if I launch Discord or a game before turning the headphones on, I’ll need to restart the application to get sound.

Is this unexpected behaviour or as intended? I’d prefer this device to be there constantly to fix said issues above (same behaviour as other headphones I’ve used).

• Corsair Employee
Hi Elito, appreciate the response.

I’ve got it plugged directly into a USB port on the motherboard although I’m unsure if this is non-standard behaviour. As mentioned, as soon as I turn off the wireless headphones, they disappear as a sound device in Windows.

I’m using iCUE 4 and once they are turned on again, they will appear as a device or reinstall the drivers if needed. It’s more a pet peeve then anything as if I launch Discord or a game before turning the headphones on, I’ll need to restart the application to get sound.

Is this unexpected behaviour or as intended? I’d prefer this device to be there constantly to fix said issues above (same behaviour as other headphones I’ve used).

This is the intended behavior by design. When Virtuoso is set to wireless it is detected as one devices, and when you switch to Wired it is detected as a different device. If you don't have the headset plugged into your PC when switching to Wired mode, the original Wireless device will dissapear.

This is the intended behavior by design. When Virtuoso is set to wireless it is detected as one devices, and when you switch to Wired it is detected as a different device. If you don't have the headset plugged into your PC when switching to Wired mode, the original Wireless device will dissapear.

Thanks for the response. Not exactly the behaviour that I'd prefer however at least I'm no longer going crazy thinking it wasn't setting up correctly. I'll work around it I guess.

I just updated the firmware for my Virtuoso dongle (and maybe the headset itself, idk?) and the behaviour suddenly flipped from what was described here and intended behaviour (kind of) to what the OP post wanted.

My headset firmware is v. 5.2.68

My dongle firmware is v. 5.4.99

Previously, the headset was a single device in Windows Sound settings (regardless of wireless or wired connection) or so I believe; realistically it could have been 2 difference devices but the headset had the same settings in windows regardless of which connection mode I used, so it seems to have been the same device. Whenever I turned off the headset (set to wired mode but no cable actually connected), it would disappear from windows sounds menu and the OS would fallback to the next device (my speakers) which was perfect since I could easily switch from my headset to my speakers by just turning the headset on/off.

With the new update however, the wireless headset never disappears from the sound menu and therefore the described behaviour of auto-switching output by Windows doesn't work anymore and it says permanently stuck to the always-present wireless device. The USB mode headset still has the intended behaviour where it will disappear if disconnected at least.

Here is a screenshot of this happening where both wireless and wired headset modes appear in Windows.

https://i.imgur.com/CojbP76.png

Is this the new intended behaviour or is something wrong?

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2021 at 6:36 PM, iMarbot said:

I just updated the firmware for my Virtuoso dongle (and maybe the headset itself, idk?) and the behaviour suddenly flipped from what was described here and intended behaviour (kind of) to what the OP post wanted.

PWith the new update however, the wireless headset never disappears from the sound menu and therefore the described behaviour of auto-switching output by Windows doesn't work anymore and it says permanently stuck to the always-present wireless device. The USB mode headset still has the intended behaviour where it will disappear if disconnected at least.

I just hit the same issue. I made the huge mistake of updating iCUE and my Corsair Virtuoso dongle and headset firmware (previously I was running the version from when I originally set up the headset at the beginning of June 2021). Now the Windows audio device for the wireless headset is permanently shown as "connected" and as a result Windows does not auto switch when I turn off the headset anymore.

This is a huge bummer. This auto switch behaviour was one of the main selling points of this headset for me. This change in behaviour makes no sense (why keep a Windows audio device active when it can't output sound???) and is an unacceptable regression.

I looked into downgrading the firmware to get back to the old behaviour, but I couldn't find how (old iCUE versions can't be coerced into downgrading the firmware, and I couldn't find an old firmware file to manually flash with). So it seems like I am now stuck with a permanently regressed headset.

Corsair: given the original post in this thread, it looks like some people prefer the new behaviour, while some people (such as me and the last poster above) prefer the old behaviour. Is there any chance this can be made a configurable option to keep everyone happy?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like I am not the only one. Just picked up the Darkstar mouse today and was forced to update the dongle to have both the mouse and headset running through one dongle which is convenient but it ruined the functionality of the wireless headset making it "always detected" by the system forcing me to manually switch to it when I want to use it. System still adds and removes the device when connected via usb which is great. Wish there is a fix soon or my lazy butt may switch brands to a headset that allows me to have that functionality.