Corsair Community

iCue and Asus... we need some official statement

I' ve been using iCue for a few months and was able to control my Asus motherboard untill today, when I simply upgraded my 3900XT to a 5800X.

First boot, RGB was a mess.. RAM stuck and red triangle.

Spent the whole day trying to install/unistall iCue version 3 and 4, AURA and Armoury Crate.. no way.. simply I have to choose between controlling my Corsair RAM OR my ASUS mobo within iCue. Often I entered iCue and the software was only seeing 1 RAM slot out of 4 (I'm using a 2x8Gb kit + a Light

Enhancement kit).

Corsair, PLEASE tell us what the state of the art is at the moment, which versions of the 2 softwares is mandatory to use, in which order are we supposed to install and how configure them.

I'm so frustrated, spent a whole day at the pc and the result is I have to switch all mobo's RGB from BIOS to avoid the ugly raimbow from the mobo.

PLEASE HELP ME TROUBLESHOOTING THIS ISSUE IN ANY WAY!

Thanks.

Baio

I had a hard time getting the last update to work, someone in mb integration helped. I had updated everything to the latest version. Opening armory crate would break integration. I had to uninstall armory crate with the asus uninstaller, and reinstall, without opening AC. I have full control of mb and gpu in icue.

Thanks to both for the replies, but I've alreay tried AC (without launching it) and didn't work (Asus mobo's control worked in iCue but I got red triangle on the RAM or effects stuck).

What I can't understand is why the simple change of the CPU can bring a mess like this.

Further more, AC installs (and executes at every startup) several absolutely useless processes, so I need a final word on this from Corsair... if the new version 4 has broken the support to AURA and AC is mandatory, then I'll **** all off and give up the idea of controlling Asus stuff through iCue.

I'd also like to know WHY should be mandatorty never to execute AURA or AC. What the hell are those software supposed to do that iCue can't repair on the next boot?

Forgive me for my anger, but I've spent too much time on something that is advertised by Corsair and does not work, or works untilli you change CPU.

Baio

Well same boat here,

Asus Strix X470, ryzen 3700x and 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance pro rgb sl, all update/bios update done, can't seems to make Armoury Crate detect those ram sticks.

I tried both iCue v3 and v4 and got no option to toggle software control but I heard it was on by default on those specific sticks so... no luck...

Well same boat here,

Asus Strix X470, ryzen 3700x and 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance pro rgb sl, all update/bios update done, can't seems to make Armoury Crate detect those ram sticks.

I tried both iCue v3 and v4 and got no option to toggle software control but I heard it was on by default on those specific sticks so... no luck...

Full control is avaliable only in iCue v3, in v4 there is no option as it's always on by default.

But I don't think it's what causes the problem.

Baio

UPDATE:

Yesterday I went to a complete formattng/reinstallation of Windows 10 Pro 64bit (USB stick made through Media Creation Tool).

- Installed Windows

- Installed basic drivers (chipset, VGA, LAN)

- Installed all Windows updates avaliable (not driver ones)

- Installed several versions of AURA (from v1.06 to the latest declared by Corsair to be compatible with iCue) => only AURA version 1.06 opens (without detecting the mobo anyway), so I suppose some Windows Update broke support for AURA

- Removed AURA and installed Armoury Crate latest version, opened it and set all mobo RGB to black

- Reboot and installed iCue v4 => everything was fine, both Corsair RAM and Asus mobo controllable under iCue. But this last for a couple of reboots, then suddendly RAM RGB stuck, red triangle again.

Spent an afternoon reinstalling Windows and still the same problem.

STILL WAITING FOR SOMEONE FROM CORSAIR TO ANSWER IN THIS THREAD... THIS IS BECOMING REALLY UPSETTING!!

Baio

update:

Yesterday i went to a complete formattng/reinstallation of windows 10 pro 64bit (usb stick made through media creation tool).

- installed windows

- installed basic drivers (chipset, vga, lan)

- installed all windows updates avaliable (not driver ones)

- installed several versions of aura (from v1.06 to the latest declared by corsair to be compatible with icue) => only aura version 1.06 opens (without detecting the mobo anyway), so i suppose some windows update broke support for aura

- removed aura and installed armoury crate latest version, opened it and set all mobo rgb to black

- reboot and installed icue v4 => everything was fine, both corsair ram and asus mobo controllable under icue. But this last for a couple of reboots, then suddendly ram rgb stuck, red triangle again.

Spent an afternoon reinstalling windows and still the same problem.

Still waiting for someone from corsair to answer in this thread... This is becoming really upsetting!!

Baio

Still waiting for someone from corsair to answer in this thread... This is becoming really upsetting!!

• Corsair Employee

Baio,

You have several questions and I can help provide some answer. However, if you need an immediate answer, it is best to reach out to the tech support team.

Here is what I understand what you want to know:

1.) Why is Armory Crate required to be installed?

We are using ASUS' SDK and 'Lighting Service' to control their products. Without an install of their software, your ASUS motherboard or GPU will not be visible in iCUE.

2.) Why cannot you not use Armory Crate and iCUE simultaneously?

Only one software can control the hardware at a time. If you have both software open, you'll get adverse effects because both of our hardware is not designed to be used simultaneously with each software. If you want to use ASUS software, then you must quit iCUE first (and vice versa).

3.) Why are you constantly seeing the Red Triangle?

Red Triangle denotes some sort of error that prevents lighting control of your DRAM. The error could be any number of reasons (driver, memory controller, software access was revoked, etc.). The only way to properly diagnose this problem is to contact Tech Support so you can provide a log for our analysis.

My advice is you should only be using iCUE 4, using the latest version of Armory Crate (not Aura Sync), and making sure only iCUE 4 is open. Make sure before you open iCUE that Armory Crate is NOT running.

Baio,

You have several questions and I can help provide some answer. However, if you need an immediate answer, it is best to reach out to the tech support team.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it very much.

Not several questions indeed, just want to control my Asus motherboard via iCue. It should be something easy to do, but it turns out to be quite a nightmare.

Here is what I understand what you want to know:

1.) Why is Armory Crate required to be installed?

We are using ASUS' SDK and 'Lighting Service' to control their products. Without an install of their software, your ASUS motherboard or GPU will not be visible in iCUE.

This I know.

Maybe it's my bad english but what I've experienced about this point is that AURA is no longer working with latest Windows 10 updates, so AC is mandatory. And that's an ugly thing as it installs tons of unnecessary processes. But obviously it does not depend on Corsair, but maybe Corsair needs to update some sticky post even in this Forum.

2.) Why cannot you not use Armory Crate and iCUE simultaneously?

Only one software can control the hardware at a time. If you have both software open, you'll get adverse effects because both of our hardware is not designed to be used simultaneously with each software. If you want to use ASUS software, then you must quit iCUE first (and vice versa).

Again, maybe it's my bad english, but I never ment to run AURA and AC simultaneously. But in my rig iCue can't control Asus stuff even if AC is not running.

So Corsair should state clearly what means with "AC must be installed but not running".

I've it installed and not running, meaning that AC windows is not opened and no SysTray icon is shown, but there are a plenty of AC related processes running in my rig. Is this what you mean?

3.) Why are you constantly seeing the Red Triangle?

Red Triangle denotes some sort of error that prevents lighting control of your DRAM. The error could be any number of reasons (driver, memory controller, software access was revoked, etc.). The only way to properly diagnose this problem is to contact Tech Support so you can provide a log for our analysis.

If there is no another way, I'll open a ticket.

My advice is you should only be using iCUE 4, using the latest version of Armory Crate (not Aura Sync), and making sure only iCUE 4 is open. Make sure before you open iCUE that Armory Crate is NOT running.

And this is exactly what I'm doing at the moment...

As I described in my above posts, after unsuccessfully trying to install AURA, I've installed AC and iCue4, nothing else in my fresh Windows 10 installation, just drivers.

But here it comes the same question... what do you mean with "not running"? The software or its 23578934589 related processes?

Seriously, Corsair should work with Asus to simplify this situation... I know that Asus does no longer support Aura, so if Aura does no longer work with Windows 10, we are forced to use AC, that is one of the most invasive softwares I've ever seen (it's literally IMPOSSIBLE to unistall it, it leaves tons of garbage active after uninstallation, forcing one to format and resintall OS).

If iCue only needs "ASUS SDK and Lighting Service", please provide us with those 2 software packs and nothing else.

Baio

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it very much.

Not several questions indeed, just want to control my Asus motherboard via iCue. It should be something easy to do, but it turns out to be quite a nightmare.

This I know.

Maybe it's my bad english but what I've experienced about this point is that AURA is no longer working with latest Windows 10 updates, so AC is mandatory. And that's an ugly thing as it installs tons of unnecessary processes. But obviously it does not depend on Corsair, but maybe Corsair needs to update some sticky post even in this Forum.

Again, maybe it's my bad english, but I never ment to run AURA and AC simultaneously. But in my rig iCue can't control Asus stuff even if AC is not running.

So Corsair should state clearly what means with "AC must be installed but not running".

I've it installed and not running, meaning that AC windows is not opened and no SysTray icon is shown, but there are a plenty of AC related processes running in my rig. Is this what you mean?

If there is no another way, I'll open a ticket.

And this is exactly what I'm doing at the moment...

As I described in my above posts, after unsuccessfully trying to install AURA, I've installed AC and iCue4, nothing else in my fresh Windows 10 installation, just drivers.

But here it comes the same question... what do you mean with "not running"? The software or its 23578934589 related processes?

Seriously, Corsair should work with Asus to simplify this situation... I know that Asus does no longer support Aura, so if Aura does no longer work with Windows 10, we are forced to use AC, that is one of the most invasive softwares I've ever seen (it's literally IMPOSSIBLE to unistall it, it leaves tons of garbage active after uninstallation, forcing one to format and resintall OS).

If iCue only needs "ASUS SDK and Lighting Service", please provide us with those 2 software packs and nothing else.

Baio

We can't provide these files as they're bundled with ASUS' AC software. We don't have access to these files individually. Part of the partnership with ASUS and iCUE is that we respect each other's software as this type of integration requires applications installed together.

As for Lighting Service, this is what you need:

attachment.php?attachmentid=41254&stc=1&d=1621043864

1533815549_LightingService.thumb.png.e8d1218384dc3a73b3182fc946ad3226.png

Edited by Corsair James

I just wanted to chime in that I have the exact same or similar issues with my ASUS MB and Corsair RAM/Lightning Extension Kit/AIO (H115i RGB Platinum). It all started happing since I updated to a new ASUS bios (which included support for AMD Ryzen 5000, though I have a 3900X).

- AIO does not apply lightning effects set in iCUE at startup, always have to go into iCUE and press restart service.

- RAM Light extension kit basically made all RAM slots not work (for example I had rain effect setup, but it would run for 2 seconds and then hang). Red triangle in iCUE. The only workaround was to remove the extension kit from the computer. Now at least the actual RAM can be controlled most of the time, sometimes still red triangle in iCUE.

In contrast, the lightning node with 3 RGB-ML fans works always fine.

My best guess is, that this has todo with AMD USB Connectivity issues (

) that the latest AGESA BIOS versions have and are not really fixed even though AMD likes to think that. Maybe it's not just USB that is affected but other buses to? (Not sure what type of communication between RGB-RAM and windows is used?) Edited by danez

I just wanted to chime in that I have the exact same or similar issues with my ASUS MB and Corsair RAM/Lightning Extension Kit/AIO (H115i RGB Platinum). It all started happing since I updated to a new ASUS bios (which included support for AMD Ryzen 5000, though I have a 3900X).

- AIO does not apply lightning effects set in iCUE at startup, always have to go into iCUE and press restart service.

- RAM Light extension kit basically made all RAM slots not work (for example I had rain effect setup, but it would run for 2 seconds and then hang). Red triangle in iCUE. The only workaround was to remove the extension kit from the computer. Now at least the actual RAM can be controlled most of the time, sometimes still red triangle in iCUE.

In contrast, the lightning node with 3 RGB-ML fans works always fine.

My best guess is, that this has todo with AMD USB Connectivity issues (

) that the latest AGESA BIOS versions have and are not really fixed even though AMD likes to think that. Maybe it's not just USB that is affected but other buses to? (Not sure what type of communication between RGB-RAM and windows is used?)
I had similar when I went to a Strix B550-F with a Ryzen 5600X (both 1104 and the latest stable BIOS) My Strix B450-F Ryzen 3600 had been working fine. Annoyed I ended up turning off the Asus plugin for a while. Then I hit update on the iCue and suddenly I had upgraded to iCue V4. I had to then go get Armoury Crate where my second "blunder" set in as I did not bother to uninstall Aura Sync first. Thing is that even though it was a mistake now with neither Armory or Aura running(obviously) my ram sticks and everything is running great, no hang or red triangle on the ram which I was getting non stop previously since my component upgrade. It is early days but I have been trying to see if I can break it and ain't done it yet. I think I will leave it as it is.

We can't provide these files as they're bundled with ASUS' AC software. We don't have access to these files individually. Part of the partnership with ASUS and iCUE is that we respect each other's software as this type of integration requires applications installed together.

As for Lighting Service, this is what you need:

attachment.php?attachmentid=41254&stc=1&d=1621043864

Ok for Lighting Service... this service must be installed and running (Automatic Start), whast about "ASUS SDK" Which services are needed to be running?

I suspect the red triangle and RGB effect stuck on my RAM are caused by some Asus service automatically running at startup, because if I boot and get the red triangle, close iCue then start it again, it works fine.

Baio

Ok for Lighting Service... this service must be installed and running (Automatic Start), whast about "ASUS SDK" Which services are needed to be running?

I suspect the red triangle and RGB effect stuck on my RAM are caused by some Asus service automatically running at startup, because if I boot and get the red triangle, close iCue then start it again, it works fine.

Baio

Yes, I have exactly the same thing happening on my system.

I contacted the support in the meantime, let's see if they can help about it...

Yes, I have exactly the same thing happening on my system.

I contacted the support in the meantime, let's see if they can help about it...

Which support did you contact? Asus or Corsair?

Baio

Got an anwser from Crosair support that told be to remove and put back my ram... didn't do anything BUT I fixed my problem now, everything, Ram included is controlled by Armoury crate.

What I did is force update of my ram stick (rgb pro sl) on iCue even though they were updated to the last firmware, and then search for updates in armoury crates (don't know if this step is really needed)

ICue must stay open but everything is now controlled by Armoury Crate.

Maybe give those steps a try?