Corsair Community

Commander CORE don't recognise fans on the PWM Repeater

Hi guys,

I decided to do a upgrade in some components...as I already own some Corsair products (SP120 RGB Elite one of them) I decided get the 5000D case and a new AIO to, I upgrade my Hydro H115i PRO to a fancy H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 360mm.

So.. Now Is the problem. It's time to put all together, the Commander CORE that come with AIO can manage 6x PWM & RGB fans...I have 4x SP120 Elite + 3x ML120 RGB from the AIO + 2x 120 that come with the case.

What I've decided:

I decided that I'll use 7 fans:

• 3x 120mm in the front for intake
  • 3x 120mm in the on the top pushing out for the Rad
  • 1x 120mm on the back to extract

Only 6 will be RGB as the commander CORE only have 6 fan inputs.

But I want be able to control all the fans speed on iCue.

My Solution:

I use the PWM repeater that come with the case, JD0316-01C.

I connect my 3x SP120 front fans to it and then to the Commander CORE to port 5

I use port 1 to 3 for the AIO ML120 fans and port 4 for the rear SP120.

My Problem:

The fans connected to the repeater don't show on the iCue doesn't matter in witch port I connect.

Is that suppose to happen? the Comander CORE don't recognise the repeater ?? :bigeyes:

Or I'm doing something wrong here?

PS. All the 6 RGB are recognised by the software.

Many thanks

R

Are you expecting to see the individual fans in iCUE? That's not how a repeater works. You'll see 1 fan and control all of the fans on it as a single unit.

I know that i'll not see the 7 fans.

I expect too see the 3x front fans as one but that isn't happening, I can only see 4 fans connect on iCue (3x AIO + 1 back)

I forgot to mention, fans don't even spinning when PWM repeater connected to the Commander CORE. ( I try connect them to MB and they're fine and individually to the Commander too)

Thanks

R

If the front fans are not spinning, you need to look at the power delivery to the PWM hub. This is usually a SATA connector. If the problem was on the Commander Core end the fans would spin at max or be uncontrollable, but not stopped.

Hello c-attack,

Sorry if I didn't explained myself correctly,

The fans working well when the repeater is connected to MB, when I connect the repeater to the Commander CORE they stop. :sigh!: They spin until iCue starts, then they stop!

iCue bug? :bigeyes:

Regards

R

From the Commander Core’s perspective, that PWM repeater is just a single fan on an extension. Typically PWM repeaters are not capable of stopping the fans at all, so that part is interesting. However, if they are spinning in hardware/boot mode by then stop when CUE loads, you probably need to look at the control curve applied to header#?.

You probably can get away with 5 + 2 on a splitter. However, this should work and is a safer solution.

From the Commander Core’s perspective, that PWM repeater is just a single fan on an extension. Typically PWM repeaters are not capable of stopping the fans at all, so that part is interesting. However, if they are spinning in hardware/boot mode by then stop when CUE loads, you probably need to look at the control curve applied to header#?.

I can't...the repeater or the fans connected to him doesn't show on iCue, doesn't matter if only one or more!

As soon i remove the repeater from the Commander the fans start spinning again

You probably can get away with 5 + 2 on a splitter. However, this should work and is a safer solution.

Yes...that the way I'll probably take...

Is anyone ever try connect this repeater (JD0316-01C) to a Commander CORE??

Regards

R

Edited by rgcosta7

I can't...the repeater or the fans connected to him doesn't show on iCue, doesn't matter if only one or more!

As soon i remove the repeater from the Commander the fans start spinning again

OK, now we are getting to the details.

1) The Commander Core has an auto-detect feature for both PWM and RGB headers. The RGB portion you can force to auto-detect from the CUE settings. The PWM cannot and usually requires a power cycle to the Com Core to make it redetect. That means hot plugging or soft-power off states may prevent you from getting started. The Commander Core is cutting the power to that header because it believes nothing is connected. I just powered up from full off with 3 different PWM hubs on the Commander Core. All three were recognized and gave me full control without setting them up ahead of time.

2) Make sure you have 1 fan in the control spot on the PWM repeated hub. I am looking at picture of it and I can't quite see it. There should be a mark of some type to indicate the control header. That one must have a fan on it and that is the signal passed to all the others.

Do a full shutdown and flip the PSU switch off. Double check to make sure one of the front fans is in the control position on the little PWM circuit board. Then flip the power back on and boot up. Since the PWM hub is recognized by the MB, it appears to be functional. That puts this back onto the Commander Core to execute it's auto-detect PWM function.

• Confused 1

I was restart the pc every time i was doing some changes on the fans...but,

OK, now we are getting to the details.

2) Make sure you have 1 fan in the control spot on the PWM repeated hub. I am looking at picture of it and I can't quite see it. There should be a mark of some type to indicate the control header. That one must have a fan on it and that is the signal passed to all the others.

..I didn't have a fan connected to point 1 on the repeater, the way I had routed the cables as easy to connect the fans down (4,5,6), something that I wasn't thinking till you said that the CORE auto detected the ports. And because was nothing on port 1 of the repeater i just stops the power going to that port.

Problem solved :biggrin::biggrin:

I know it I was doing some rookie mistake.

Thanks for the help guys

R

Quite understandable. I was looking at a picture of it zoomed to 250% and I couldn’t tell which one was the control either. Sometimes it’s nothing more than a dot or tiny triangle.

If you do get into trouble with the Commander Core and fan PWM detection, do a full shutdown and then power back up. In my experience the “restart” won’t work because the device keep power during that process.

Quite understandable. I was looking at a picture of it zoomed to 250% and I couldn’t tell which one was the control either. Sometimes it’s nothing more than a dot or tiny triangle.

If you do get into trouble with the Commander Core and fan PWM detection, do a full shutdown and then power back up. In my experience the “restart” won’t work because the device keep power during that process.

That's good to know!

Thanks

R