Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200LLPRO Not matched set of chips

I purchased TWINX1024-3200LLPRO retail kit (2x512MB) a year ago from Newegg.com. I am now looking to populate the third memory slot on my motherboard with a 1GB chip. When I strated to reseach adding a 3-3-3-8 module to my system with two 2-3-2-6 modules, I realized the kit I bought from Newegg did not contain two identical modules.

My first clue something was wrong is when I went to the the BIOS and it shows the memory as running at 166MHz (DDR333), and settings of 2-3-3-6.

I played around with the BIOS settings trying to get the memory to run at it's spec of DDR400 2-3-2-6 with no luck. I then downloaded SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2005.SR1 and ran the Mainboard information test and I was shocked to see:

Memory Module 1

Manufacturer : Corsair

Model : CMX512-3200C2

Type : 512MB DDR-SDRAM

Technology : 16x(32Mx8)

Speed : PC3200U 2.5-3-3-8

Date of Manufacture : Saturday, December 25, 1999

Set Timing @ 200MHz : 2.5-3-3-8

Set Timing @ 167MHz : 2.0-3-3-7

Memory Module 2

Manufacturer : Corsair

Model : CMX512-3200LL

Type : 512MB DDR-SDRAM

Technology : 16x(32Mx8)

Speed : PC3200U 2.0-3-2-6

Date of Manufacture : Saturday, December 25, 1999

Set Timing @ 200MHz : 2.0-3-2-6

As you can see, they are two different modules, even though they are both labeled identical on the outside. What's worse is when they are both installed, the system slows the ram down to DDR333. If I remove one (or the other), the system correclty identifies the single module, and runs at 200MHz (DDR400) with the identified timings.

Since this was purchased as a retail kit (not OEM) from Newegg, and both chips are labeled the same, is this something covered under warranty?

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but you cannot do that! You should not Mix 512 Meg and 1.0 Gig modules and with some of the systems on the market if the modules do not all match they may not even post!

I am sorry but you cannot do that! You should not Mix 512 Meg and 1.0 Gig modules and with some of the systems on the market if the modules do not all match they may not even post!

Okay, maybe I wasn't clear on what I was asking.

While researching my current memory configuration, I realized that the TWINX1024 kit I purchased has two different memory modules in it. I purchased the 3200LL-PRO kit, which I thought would contain two same type memory modules. What I recieved were two modules that are labeled the same on the outside stickers, but the computer reports them as two different modules:

one is Model : CMX512-3200C2 and the other is Model : CMX512-3200LL.

My question is; Is this something covered by warranty? The package I purchased was labeled TWINX1024-3200LLPRO, both modules are labeled with the same part numbers, descriptions etc.. but they are not the same, one is clearly not performing at the LL spec of 2-3-2-6, but at 2.5-3-3-8.

• 1 year later...

I am finally getting around to dealing with this memory mismatch. My question is, since it appears Corsair no longer make CMX512-3200LLPRO chips and I purchased this is as kit, should I return both chips, or just the bad chip? If I send just one stick, will it get replaced with something that will work with the other stick (DDR-400 2-3-2-6)?

Thank you!

Brett

Archived