Corsair Community

TwinX1024-3200C2PT and LanParty UT with Venice core

keerf

Hi All,

I just recently, as of yesterday recieved a 3800+ Amd 64 Venice core processor. It is replacing my 3500+ Winnie which is going to my sister (helping her out she is in a tight money situation). Anyway, I put in the new processor and when I got into Windows, it got to the desktop and then just rebooted.

So I looked on the dfi-street forums, and someone had tried .. and it seemed to work for him setting the DRAM Drive to 3. So I tried that and it brought windows up, no problem. So what I did was I went back into the bios and set my Ram timings (now mind you I am a complete and utter noob when it comes to these settings. I also do not overclock my system at all). These are the settings I put in along with the DRAM Drive:

tcl: 2.5

trcd: 3

tras: 6

trp: 3

So I put those in and rebooted, windows once again came up fine. So I started playing Guild Wars (which I was playing before the new processor and no problems what so ever) About 20 minutes into the game, locks up and reboots. When I got back into windows, I checked the Event Viewer, and it gave me an nv infinite loop error. So I tried Guild Wars again, not even 15 minutes into the game reboot of windows. So I swapped back out processors, and put back my winnie, reset the DRAM Drive and all is working fine.

So after that long desription, is there anyone who knows what possible my ram settings should be that it will work with the Venice processor? Since what I have been reading the processor handles memory different now. I am lost at what I should do, and since I really don't know these settings, I am confused as well.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Terry

ps: Here are my specs,

AMD Athlon64 3800+ (90nm, Venice Core)

Zalman 7000B AlCu

DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D (3/10 Bios)

Corsair XMS 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

BFG 6800GT OC 256MB PCI-e

PC Power & Cooling 510W Express

Seagate 7200 200gb SATA

SB Audigy

• Corsair Employee
You may need to reset the bios with the New CPU and then set all of the settings again. At the verry least you should load setup/optimized defaults when ever you make a major system change like that. In addition, it's not un heard of to have to re-install the O.S. when you change CPU's especially a new core. At the verry least I would uninstall the AMD 64 CPU Driver and reboot and re-install it.

Hi Ram Guy,

First note is I never loaded the AMD Cpu driver to begin with. So I hope I'm on on that front. Secondly, was the DRAM Drive 3 the correct thing to set for that memory? And hopefully last, how likely is it that I should need to reinstall Windows XP. I mean if I have to I will, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for any help!

Terry

• Corsair Employee

Terry,

I would say and suggest you do a fresh install when ever you make a major change with WinNT, 2K or XP and 2k3 the way the O.S. works you may not get the beeeifif of the changes other wise. Not too mention the system may not be stable. But I would ask AMD about that specificly as they would know.

I would maybe try a fresh install on another HDD if you have one to be sure.

Archived