Corsair Community

System just powers off.

JamesRFTL

I'm having an issue in which my system will just power off or lock up during the following:

1-If I attempt to run HalfLife2 and default res of 1024 at random times the system just powers off.

2-If I attempt to run PCMark05 when I run the Memory tests the system will always lock up when doing the "Write" tests. All other PCMark tests pass and run with no problems.

Specs:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

2X Extreme Nvidia 6800Ultra/2DT running in SLI

TWINX1024-3200XLPRO DDR 400 2Gigs total, 2x matched pairs.

ThermalTake 680W PSU

XP Pro SP2, All latest WHQL drivers applied.

I'm not overclocking my system in either the bios or system utils.

I have ran MemtestX86+ for over 24hrs with no errors.

Scaned system against viruses and found none.

Does Corsair suggest using any specific DDR timing settings in the BIOS for having this memory on an ASUS board?

Any other suggestions on what to check for?

Thanks

JamesRFTL

Since your ram passed memtest86 without any errors it's not a ram problem. A system power off during Half-Llife2 points to either a heat problem with the cpu/ motherboard or a power supply problem. I'd try reseating the heatsink/fan combo with a good thermal compound (i.e. artic silver 5), the stock thermal pad that comes with a "processor in a box" is almost junk. If either the processor or the motherboard gets to hot thermal overides will kick in and shutdown your computer to protect itself. Do you know what your normal temperatures are for cpu, motherboard and case? The other possibillity is your power supply. Your Thermaltake 680 watt power supply sounds like a beast. Thermaltake's website lists two +12volt rails at 15 amps each and a third +12volt rail at 8 amps. The two 6800gtUltras you have need to be fed lots of juice(i.e. current/amps). The Thermaltake has overload, overcurrent and temperature protection circuitry. If the supply is overtaxed in any of these areas it will initiate a system shutdown. If it's not already hooked up this way, I'd power the motherboard and video cards off of the two +12volt (15amp) rails and everything else off of the +12volt(8amp) rail and see if this fixes the problem. Good luck. I'll be back.

ps: never ever turn a power supply on without it plugged into some kind of load such as your motherboard.

Garvin,

Thanks for the replies, I'm new to this...

As far as the CPU/Heatsink etc I'm using the following:

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0025/cl-p0025silentTower.htm

I'm also using the Artic Silver 5 with this heatsink/fan as well.

I noticed a similar thread on the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board and a similar problem in which he was testing with PCMark05 and the "Write" tests would fail. His solution was to RMA the motherboard and his new board no longer has this issue.

I'm using the 1006ver for the bios and this still has the same issue. I can repro the problem in PCMARK05 everytime. The HalfLife2 issue may stem from a bad copy if the game. I was able to play Doom3 in max resolution using an offical copy and my system only powered off once and I've already beaten the game.

http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/w049atx12v/w0049atx12v.htm

The cables offered in the PowerSupply had 1x cable that was then split to support the Dual PCI Express. So I'm not sure what you mean about the other rail.

Thanks

JamesRFTL

• Corsair Employee

JamesRFTL

What you have posted so far would suggest a power problem, and with this MB you will need to use a PSU that is ATX 2.0 compliant. I would suggest you ask the MB maker if this PSU you have is compatible and maybe try and replace it to be sure.

James,

Check the VGA Temp. I'm using WinFast PX6600GT Extreme TDH in ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe & same power supply as you. You may try put 12 cm case fan above the VGA to solve the heat problem. If I didn't put fan above the VGA's, mine will lots of green splash/artifact in 3DMark05.

Archived